IGNORED

City - Joint 3rd highest spenders compared to turnover

old_eastender

7 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

What is the difference between turnover and revenue?

For most intents and purposes there isn't one. Use the two interchangeably.

(However... I think if any fellow accountants want to get super techy about it, a change in accounting standards a while back phased out the word turnover. If memory serves, at the same time that the P&L became the Income Statement. This might be the most boring thing ever written on OTIB.)

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't think your Kylie analogy is necessarily fair.  Watford, West Brom, Southampton, Stoke, Leicester, Swansea and Bournemouth are all clubs of similar (or smaller) size to City who have gone up and managed to establish themselves in the top division for extended periods of time.  Other clubs such as Reading, Norwich and Boro have dropped out but continued to remain competitive at the top end of the Championship.  Of course it has gone pear-shaped for some clubs, but I wouldn't say it's a majority - and it's impossible for every club to be successful all the time anyway.

Look at in the context of that report mate...and what it actually says about the financial state of the majority of clubs that have got promoted...you'll get my drift then ;-)

3 hours ago, City Ben said:

For most intents and purposes there isn't one. Use the two interchangeably.

(However... I think if any fellow accountants want to get super techy about it, a change in accounting standards a while back phased out the word turnover. If memory serves, at the same time that the P&L became the Income Statement. This might be the most boring thing ever written on OTIB.)

Largely true in the UK, not so in the US.

In the US their definition of revenue is what I would call gross margin.

10 hours ago, spudski said:

It's very stark reading that report.

If we ever go up, I really do hope our owner looks at the likes of Burnley, rather than the majority of promoted teams.

The 'golden ticket' is just a ticking time bomb for many clubs.

I look at Palace now...full of players taking a massive wage, who couldn't give a toss.

We as fans all thought there journey up, and their fans loving the ride, was interesting to watch...reminded me of our season under GJ...bounce effect.

I'd hate City to be in that position now.

Getting to the Prem for the majority of teams, is like shagging Kylie then having a lifetime of aids.

I`ve said it many times and still believe it. The journey is much more enjoyable than the destination.

Spent third most? But we are sat in 4th, clearly underachieving..... Johnson out! 

Jokes aside this seems to be from before the rebuild so gates and matchday turnover so much less. Also we have a literal multi billionaire owner...think we are ok. 

What really worries me is the hope I have for this season.....

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hello @old_eastender you never came back to this thread :sad26:

Hello, yes my bad. The spend table headline said from 2016 and if as others have said that means 2015-16 season, the reference I made to the figures showing LJ backing is not valid, my humble apologies.

However, the massive investment SL had made since LJ was in charge certainly does make it unjustifiable to repeat last seasons fall from an identical (in terms of games played and points) good start. Let's hope Burton Friday starts that off in the right way with a win.

5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Hello, yes my bad. The spend table headline said from 2016 and if as others have said that means 2015-16 season, the reference I made to the figures showing LJ backing is not valid, my humble apologies.

However, the massive investment SL had made since LJ was in charge certainly does make it unjustifiable to repeat last seasons fall from an identical (in terms of games played and points) good start. Let's hope Burton Friday starts that off in the right way with a win.

Fair play, often when people are proven wrong on a thread they never return!

I don’t think it’ll happen again, there’s so many variables in football I think it’s a bit pointless comparing two seasons. He has been well backed, I think our squad shows it now. We look a good side with depth and the right mentality.

17 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ve said it many times and still believe it. "The journey is much more enjoyable than the destination." *

If you are going to steal his quotes could you at least credit the original author.

(* Mr Fujisan Nagasaki, Squadron Leader, 23rd Kamikaze, Okinawa, August 1944).

On 10/10/2017 at 19:05, ChippenhamRed said:

I keep hearing all the time how much money we've spent in the last couple of years. But this has to be offset against where we started from. After our promotion from L1 we started the season with a squad arguably weaker than the one that had gone up, and needed a large number of loans to make up the numbers. We needed to spend more money than many other teams in the division just to reach parity with them. Just because we've spent more than other teams recently does not mean we should necessarily expect to be doing better than them.

In other words, we had to spend more just to catch up.

Don't talk sense man... 

Archived