IGNORED

Concorde Documentary on BBC4 9pm tonight

Lanterne Rouge

10 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Cheers, will have a look for it on iPlayer later.

Is there an instance, other than Concorde and the space shuttle, where mankind has scrapped an invention and essentially regressed on a technological level?

When we appointed O'Driscoll ?

16 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Is there an instance, other than Concorde and the space shuttle, where mankind has scrapped an invention and essentially regressed on a technological level?

Unless I am mistaken, you live and work in the Caribbean.

Any hints as to how, living outside the UK and, presumably, with no BBC TV licence, you manage to watch iPlayer?

I used to be able to watch it, with the aid of a well-known VPN, but I have been denied access for some months now. 

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unless I am mistaken, you live and work in the Caribbean.

Any hints as to how, living outside the UK and, presumably, with no BBC TV licence, you manage to watch iPlayer?

I used to be able to watch it, with the aid of a well-known VPN, but I have been denied access for some months now. 

Clearly I do not in any way condone the use of ANY proxy service, VPN, streaming etc that by-passes the region controls used by iPlayer and similar services. That said, I understand that Tunnel Bear is a service that has been known to enable watching iPlayer outside of the UK. It would be utterly remiss of me to even mention it as an option.

One thing that surprised me was how long it was in service for - thirty years. It seemed much less than that. In fact, one of the things that contributed to it`s demise was 9/11 and the severe downturn in air travel afterwards. If anyone had asked me was Concorde still flying when 9/11 happened I would have said no way!

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

One thing that surprised me was how long it was in service for - thirty years. It seemed much less than that. In fact, one of the things that contributed to it`s demise was 9/11 and the severe downturn in air travel afterwards. If anyone had asked me was Concorde still flying when 9/11 happened I would have said no way!

This certainly didn't help, although the Paris crash the previous year set things in motion.

Interestingly, although British Airways were making regular profits on Concorde, Air France was running at a loss and, as is often the case in France, was allowed to continue flying to protect national pride - it would have been inconceivable for political reasons to have closed down the French operations unilaterally.

19 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

On the rare occasion I have the pleasure of walking around Broadmead, I always look around me and contemplate "how the **** did these people build Concorde".

:tomato:

tfj

I don't believe British Aerospace built shopping centres , unless of course they had a couple of hours spare on a Friday afternoon on week .

It's very sad that one , allbeit serious , accident caused the end of the project.

Aviation experts found the problem and remedied it but Concorde was so well known that effectively it ruined her reputation.

How many Boeing 747's , Airbus's etc had  accidents but that didn't kill off the mark ? 

It was a depressing  moment when Concorde was grounded.

It was always , glamourous and exciting to see one and I remember , as a kid, the whole playground becoming motionless as one of these beautiful machines flew overhead followed by the sonic boom.

She belonged to us . 

There was a time in the 50s / 60s when Britain lead the world in number of industrial and scientific areas but sadly, a lack of backing from the government, general ambivalence from the public and huge amounts of corporate blackmail from US companies killed off anything we had. Concorde escaped cancellation mainly to the work of Tony Benn in writing contracts that were near impossible to get out of without huge financial penalties. 

On 10/10/2017 at 21:24, One Team In Keynsham said:

For its time, (the late 60's) Britain lead the world in HTP Rocket propulsion. The Black Arrow rockets built by AVRO on the Isle of Wight were showing real promise. We even managed to successfully launch our own UK built satellite into orbit in October 1971. 

Unfortunately the government of the day could see no future in low cost, small payload satellite launchers and cancelled the entire project. This makes Britain the only country to successfully build and launch their own satellite systems and then give the project up.

Out of interest, Prospero (the name of the Satellite in question) remains in orbit and still works to this day. The experiments were shut down a long time ago but it still beeps an on board timing signal. It's orbit is not due to decay for another 30 years. 

The story of Concorde really revolves around two main themes - firstly the enormous effort to create it only matched (and exceeded) by the enormous cost, and secondly how the engineers reacted to the Paris crash by reinforcing the tyres/fuel tanks. This proved to be an effective solution and the aircraft had its air worthiness certificate returned. We flew it for a while but the downtime and the shadow of the disaster brought about the decision to end the service. The bird still flew but it was a creature born of politics and ended by the same.

I was in Bath on the day of the last flight back to Filton, but recall the times on summer evenings when Concorde flew over my house - there was no mistaking that birdsong!

Incidentally, I have bought a ticket to see 216 at the new BAe Collection museum - opening day is next Tuesday - and the ticket allows free entry for a year! See aerospacebristol.org

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

The story of Concorde really revolves around two main themes - firstly the enormous effort to create it only matched (and exceeded) by the enormous cost, and secondly how the engineers reacted to the Paris crash by reinforcing the tyres/fuel tanks. This proved to be an effective solution and the aircraft had its air worthiness certificate returned. We flew it for a while but the downtime and the shadow of the disaster brought about the decision to end the service. The bird still flew but it was a creature born of politics and ended by the same.

I was in Bath on the day of the last flight back to Filton, but recall the times on summer evenings when Concorde flew over my house - there was no mistaking that birdsong!

Incidentally, I have bought a ticket to see 216 at the new BAe Collection museum - opening day is next Tuesday - and the ticket allows free entry for a year! See aerospacebristol.org

I went aboard the one they had (have?) at Duxford. I couldn`t believe how small she was inside.

• Admin
On 10/11/2017 at 17:22, Taxi for Johnson said:

On the rare occasion I have the pleasure of walking around Broadmead, I always look around me and contemplate "how the **** did these people build Concorde".

:tomato:

tfj

Don't panic the useless twat you saw, that was just a reflection :whistle:

14 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I went aboard the one they had (have?) at Duxford. I couldn`t believe how small she was inside.

I've been on board but not airborne and agree it is tiny inside, I don't think I could have travelled on something so narrow 

On 13/10/2017 at 09:55, phantom said:

Don't panic the useless **** you saw, that was just a reflection :whistle:

I've been on board but not airborne and agree it is tiny inside, I don't think I could have travelled on something so narrow 

:redcard:

You've had this coming for a while, fella:-

1 x Warning Point for Phantom.

:nono:

tfj

On 10/12/2017 at 18:56, Erithacus said:

I mentioned in an earlier post how it was my understanding British Airways managed to make a profit running Concorde, whereas Air France's operation ran at a loss.

In last week's Question Time, the film director/producer Jonathan Lynn (Bath born and also co-writer of Yes, Prime Minister) made reference to the fact that Boeing and Lockheed had combined to prevent Concorde flying the East/West Coast route in the USA.

I wonder whether it was their opposition or the general reluctance to allow supersonic flights over populated land that prevented both BA and AF from operating such a potentially profitable route, and whether Concorde might have been able to continue flying otherwise. 

There's a book called 'The Concorde Conspiracy' that details the lobbying US Firms made to congress to ensure that Concorde was not given permission to fly at supersonic speeds over the States. There was a massive amount of opposition to Concorde and when over flights were banned it killed off a number of potential buyers. 

Lockheed were involved in a number of bribery and corruption scandals in the 50's and 60's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_bribery_scandals

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 05:55, Juan Kerr said:

I remember doing aerobatics in a Chipmunk trainer, whilst in the ATC.

Me too while trying to ensure that breakfast remained in it's intended resting place.  And also gliding down at RAF Locking was great fun.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Me too while trying to ensure that breakfast remained in it's intended resting place.  And also gliding down at RAF Locking was great fun.

I went to Filton and Kemble mainly. Also went shooting at Pilning range, lofting a few rounds over the backstop, towards Wales! :blink:

Also went up in the motorised gliders at South Cerney.

15 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

I went to Filton and Kemble mainly. Also went shooting at Pilning range, lofting a few rounds over the backstop, towards Wales! :blink:

Also went up in the motorised gliders at South Cerney.

Can't remember which airfield we flew out of with the Chipmunks but was great flying over the channel. Never did the motorised gliders just the ones in Locking attached to the winch. Pretty much anywhere we visited included time on the range. Mind you if you didn't hold the 303 just right it would cripple your shoulder. I must be a bit of a sad old sod but even used to enjoy doing drill on the parade ground.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Can't remember which airfield we flew out of with the Chipmunks but was great flying over the channel. Never did the motorised gliders just the ones in Locking attached to the winch. Pretty much anywhere we visited included time on the range. Mind you if you didn't hold the 303 just right it would cripple your shoulder.

I shot .22 on my first night in cadets....they had a small range at RAF Quedgeley (7MU), where we had our hut. More kick with an air rifle, although the .303 had a kick like a mule! Never got to fire the SLR, although some from our squadron did. Happy days.

The motorised venture gliders had a small prop. Took off, cruised around, then shut off for a glide landing. I did go winch gliding at Aston Down with one of our civilian instructors. Quite off putting to think it was almost 40 years ago.

Archived