IGNORED

Uefa nations league

cider-manc

• Admin

Looks a great idea, at least we will be tested against sides with a similar capability and the end of pointless friendlies

Amusing Wales missed out on the top group due to their defeat against Ireland

Don't agree that England will get "battered in that group"

Looks who we are against:

Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy,  Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands

At present I would fancy us against any of them except Spain and Germany

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Looks a great idea, at least we will be tested against sides with a similar capability and the end of pointless friendlies

Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy,  Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands

Having watched the shitshows in our last 2 games, I want a pint of whatever it is you are drinking.

24 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/newsid=2508466.html

Being introduced to replace some of the meaningless friendlies with competitive games apparently.

England will get battered in that group!!!!

That isn't the group. We'll be put into a group alongside 3 other teams from League A. Potentially we could see a group of us alongisde Poland, Switzerland and Iceland?

Also not sure it makes much difference to the opposition we play in friendlies... last few friendly matches have been France (A), Germany (A),  Spain (H).

If we end up in a group with two of Spain, France and Germany - yes, we'd be struggling.

If we end up in a group with Switzerland and Poland - we'd arguably be favourites given our recent record against both countries.

From a travel perspective I'm not overly enamoured about the prospect of yet more away games in Holland, Germany, France or Spain. Iceland away would be very decent - England have only ever played there once, in 1982.

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

That isn't the group. We'll be put into a group alongside 3 other teams from League A. Potentially we could see a group of us alongisde Poland, Switzerland and Iceland?

Also not sure it makes much difference to the opposition we play in friendlies... last few friendly matches have been France (A), Germany (A),  Spain (H).

It's four groups of three for the A league, so we'll end up in a group with two other teams.

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

We could conceivably lose all of them as well phantom! 

I've never, in my 50 years on this planet, known English fans to be so disillusioned with their national side, even in the dark days of the late 70's people still cared.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We could conceivably lose all of them as well phantom! 

I've never, in my 50 years on this planet, known English fans to be so disillusioned with their national side, even in the dark days of the late 70's people still cared.

When people talk about the England team they sound like manic depressives. By that I mean either we're shit and there's no hope (current situation) or 'there's no reason why we can't win the world cup', (see June 2018 when the hype and advertising kick in). 

In some ways it's good that the illusions have been removed. Just wish people would just leave the manager to it. 

The sane amongst us know that the truth lies between these views. Let's face it, it really does not matter what any of us think. The Italians managed to win 2 World Cups when their public thought they were shit.  

53 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/newsid=2508466.html

Being introduced to replace some of the meaningless friendlies with competitive games apparently.

England will get battered in that group!!!!

I doubt we'd get battered. Our record in friendlies against the better sides is pretty good. Germany away, Portugal at home we've beaten.

It's teams that park the bus in the qualifiers we find hard to break down. 

When was the last time england got properly battered??

29 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Switzerland had the joint 4th best record in qualifying losing one game to Portugal (the last one) so they went into the play offs on goal difference with 27 points! Not sure they're a team people would be looking forward to...

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Switzerland had the joint 4th best record in qualifying losing one game to Portugal (the last one) so they went into the play offs on goal difference with 27 points! Not sure they're a team people would be looking forward to...

Fair comment. They had a bit of an odd group though - two teams dominating the group with nine wins a piece, the Faroe Islands finished 4th above two other nations!

25 minutes ago, The Bard said:

When people talk about the England team they sound like manic depressives. By that I mean either we're shit and there's no hope (current situation) or 'there's no reason why we can't win the world cup', (see June 2018 when the hype and advertising kick in). 

In some ways it's good that the illusions have been removed. Just wish people would just leave the manager to it. 

The sane amongst us know that the truth lies between these views. Let's face it, it really does not matter what any of us think. The Italians managed to win 2 World Cups when their public thought they were shit.  

I was generalizing TBH bard. After multiple tournaments, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that England won't win the WC in my lifetime but i thoroughly enjoyed watching them try.

As for the Italians being shit and winning, we must be nailed on next summer then!! :whistle:

I know this would be controversial but for qualification for major tournaments I believe UEFA should only include teams in groups A, B and C. For those in group D this UEFA league would act as an intermediate qualifying tournament where the  top 4 teams would be promoted at the end of the year and able to attempt to qualify for the Euro's / World Cup the following year. 

I can never see what's to be gained by having the likes of San Marino and Gibraltar getting smashed in 10 out of 10 games every qualifier. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

I know this would be controversial but for qualification for major tournaments I believe UEFA should only include teams in groups A, B and C. For those in group D this UEFA league would act as an intermediate qualifying tournament where the  top 4 teams would be promoted at the end of the year and able to attempt to qualify for the Euro's / World Cup the following year. 

I can never see what's to be gained by having the likes of San Marino and Gibraltar getting smashed in 10 out of 10 games every qualifier. 

San Marino and Gibraltar and some of the other lesser teams should be playing each other. Totally agree with you these games are a complete non event.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Cant see us beating Germany, Belgium, Space, France, Poland....Iceland..... The rest is fair game

16 minutes ago, Super said:

San Marino and Gibraltar and some of the other lesser teams should be playing each other. Totally agree with you these games are a complete non event.

As long as there's the opportunity for 'promotion' for the lower sides, I agree with you. If there isn't, how can they get better?

It's a bit like the 6 nations in egg chasing, IMHO there should be a lower tournament for the likes of Georgia, Romania and Spain where the winner replaces the bottom side in the 6 nations. 

We might struggle to survive in the 'A' group but, fair's fair, if we finish bottom, we go into 'B' and aspire to get back.

If this means more games & more international breaks; then expect the top PL clubs to kick off about it.

Mourinho, Guardiola, Pochettino etc.. will not be happy about their players playing more games. Expect some withdrawals due to "injuries", and England playing a B team (might not be a bad thing !).

3 hours ago, phantom said:

At present I'd fancy us against any of them except Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Iceland, Croatia and Netherlands.

8 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

If this means more games & more international breaks; then expect the top PL clubs to kick off about it.

Mourinho, Guardiola etc will not be happy about their players playing more games. Expect some withdrawals due to "injuries", and England playing a B team (might not be a bad thing !).

I understand it is to use dates that are presently given over to friendlies. That said, seems a wasted exercise for the smaller nations: whereas they might have got a crowd out to watch a decent team, or even England, I can't imagine many people bothering to show up for a dead-rubber league game between Gibraltar and Liechtenstein.

Edit: just seen this, maybe some merit for the tinpot nations, and England:

For the 2020 finals, to be hosted by multiple cities across Europe, there will be no automatic qualifying berths, and the 2020 qualification will be linked with the inaugural 2018–19 edition of the newly created UEFA Nations League. There will be ten qualifying groups for Euro 2020, and the winners and runners-up will qualify; then, the four winners (or the four best-placed teams not yet qualified for the Euro finals) of each of the four divisions of the Nations League will compete in the play-offs for that division, and the winners of the play-offs for each division will be allocated the remaining four remaining places at Euro 2020.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Looks a great idea, at least we will be tested against sides with a similar capability and the end of pointless friendlies :clap:

However " The league phase will be played over six matchdays from September to November 2018"  presumably means more International breaks in the League programme? i thought September '18 would see the first of the Euro 2020 qualifiers.

It shouldn't mean any more international breaks. There are currently 4 in a season and with the A Group containing England there will be 4 groups of 3. That's a total of 4 matches in the group stage (2 home / away) which will account for 2 international breaks and then the top 4 teams will play a semi-final, final and 3rd / 4th place play off resulting in one more break. So the whole thing will be done in 3 international breaks. (assuming they play 2 games during each break of course)

Archived