IGNORED

Team for Friday

Red Army 75

8 minutes ago, CityLew said:

I agree, keep a winning side but out of those three midfielders, Korey Smith has been the one I have been the least impressed with.

Well, I have been impressed with Korey but for me, Pack and Brownhill have performed better which is odd because Korey normally keeps his place.

Last season, when he returned, Korey dropped below his normal standards but is absolutely flying at the mo. It seems pretty clear that he's the main man in central midfield, nothing wrong with that but I would ask a question and this is no criticism of anyone but is there any reason that Marlon and Josh couldn't play together? Are they both predominantly missing something that Korey brings or something?

As I said, it's not a criticism of anyone, just a genuine question.

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Watch the Ipswich highlights again, Korey is playing with so much confidence at the moment that he doesn't even appear to suffer any nose bleeds in the final third, something I've never known of him in his time with us!

Probably nit picking but when you watch those highlights again you'll see one of the Ipswich chances from a Korey Smith mistake which he seems to be doing once or twice a game. All 3 of Brownhill, Pack and Smith are different types so it'll always be 2 of the 3 but Korey for me has made the most mistakes in dangerous spots on the pitch. 

12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Last season, when he returned, Korey dropped below his normal standards but is absolutely flying at the mo. It seems pretty clear that he's the main man in central midfield, nothing wrong with that but I would ask a question and this is no criticism of anyone but is there any reason that Marlon and Josh couldn't play together? Are they both predominantly missing something that Korey brings or something?

As I said, it's not a criticism of anyone, just a genuine question.

I went to the pre-season game at Bristol Manor Farm and being so close to the pitch, I noticed something about Korey that I hadn't really noticed before, his communication and leadership skills. In fact, it seemed like he wouldn't shut up :laughcont:  

Perhaps this is a trait that LJ appreciates and perhaps Brownhill and Pack don't possess that to an extent?

Anyway, I've always thought Korey was our best midfielder the last few seasons (even when he tallied off) but perhaps the performances of Pack and especially Brownhill have made me feel that Korey has been the least impressive this season?

Perhaps I should watch those long highlights of Ipswich away?... :P

Fielding 

2 hours ago, BCFC Josh said:

Fielding

Vyner Flint Baker Bryan

Leko Smith Pack Paterson 

Reid

Diedhiou 

I would go with this to maybe have Eros at RB, think Marlon physical presence will be more beneficial against burton than Josh. 

4 hours ago, daored said:

Would like to see Eliasson start personally, with O'Dowda on the right plenty of pace and stretch the pitch. I like Paterson but for me he comes inside too much and I think will neeed width on Friday 

Thing is COD won't stretch much on the right as he'll constantly be cutting inside.

Burton will want to be compact so let’s make the pitch big. COD on the left, Eliasson on the right, we’re bloody good enough not to worry about being open especially with our centurions at the back, so let’s go 4-4-2 and hammer them 9-0.

1 hour ago, daored said:

I'm not questioning his effectiveness and I like Paterson. However I think against Burton they're going to be tough to break down and we will need width and direct play. I would certainly have Paterson against Leeds where we will need his more clever play 

and thats the very reason he MUST start

39 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

and thats the very reason he MUST start

Well the positive out of us having different views is, it shows how strong our squad is this season. We have come a long way from having limited options to , several which wouldn't have a negative impact on our team. We all have our different views and each can be argued !

1 hour ago, CityLew said:

I went to the pre-season game at Bristol Manor Farm and being so close to the pitch, I noticed something about Korey that I hadn't really noticed before, his communication and leadership skills. In fact, it seemed like he wouldn't shut up :laughcont:  

Perhaps this is a trait that LJ appreciates and perhaps Brownhill and Pack don't possess that to an extent?

Anyway, I've always thought Korey was our best midfielder the last few seasons (even when he tallied off) but perhaps the performances of Pack and especially Brownhill have made me feel that Korey has been the least impressive this season?

Perhaps I should watch those long highlights of Ipswich away?... :P

Jesus, I say "Perhaps" a lot, don't I!

Take a shot a vodka for every "Perhaps" :laughcont:

4 hours ago, downendcity said:

GK

RB                    CH                      LB

RH           LH

IR                                IL

RW                        CF                          LW

Come on, get it right.

GK

RB                  LB

RH              CH             LH

RW         IR         CF      IL        LW

Subs: None................not yet allowed!

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Thing is COD won't stretch much on the right as he'll constantly be cutting inside.

Burton will want to be compact so let’s make the pitch big. COD on the left, Eliasson on the right, we’re bloody good enough not to worry about being open especially with our centurions at the back, so let’s go 4-4-2 and hammer them 9-0.

I totally get your point and you're correct. But I still think COD is our best option on the right when you have BW at RB. He gives us the movement front to back that we lack in playing BW behind him and will work, press and track back for the full 90. 

You could also make a case for him playing there if BW is out. He does cut inside a lot but still carries a threat and puts them on  the back foot. If we had JV or Eros behind him (who are more inclined to get forward) COD cutting  inside would actually create the space for them to overlap and get the ball in. 

Its not his natural position but like BW at RB he has done a great job filling in there. And is the best option at the moment. Leko prefers the left as well (I think?) and is great if we're struggling to break the opposition down late in the game and NE looks like he will be fantastic but they both lack COD's work rate to continually press high and track back all the time. 

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

So, apart from the fitness of Eros, the only dilemmas LJ seemingly has are Marlon or Josh to partner Korey and who plays wide right, COD, Leko or whoever misses out in the middle?

These aren't really tough issues for him in comparison to previous issues are they?

FWIW, I would leave well alone and go with Josh and COD with Marlon and Leko / Elliasson on the bench. I do agree with 1960maaan, in that I can't see Leko starting if Vyner plays as that would be a very inexperienced right hand side.

I'm assuming Joe B is over his 'knock'?

Agree with your summary. Personally I'd go with Leko starting on the rhs, not COD - that is providing BW or Eros is fit to start. If it's Vyner at RB then makes sense to start with COD.

Who says Burton will have 11 men behind the ball?

Nigel Clough took them to Spain during the international break to rediscover themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they come at us hard from the off. 

We mustn't be fooled by their lack of Championship pedigree - they are not in the bottom 3 like Bolton are - who we struggled to score 2 against. Burton are here on merit and we have to treat them with the same respect as Leeds, Villa or Cardiff tomorrow. 

That means we must start with our strongest 11 - none of this 'resting key players' for me - if we fail to win tomorrow the doubters will be out in force and LJ and the boys need to bear that in mind. This is the chance for them to bury the ghost of last season and show some real intent. 

Strongest 11 to start - let fringe players have a go only in the VERY unlikely event we are 3-0 up on 75 minutes. 

10 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

So with proper football back Friday night . Against a team who will have 11 men behind the ball . After Back to back 4-0 defeats . What team are we likely to see . I'm going        

FF

EP / BW.         AF.            NB.              JM

JP.                   KS.            JB.              COD

FD.            BR

Pretty predictable. Could be ZV at right back depending on injuries. Thoughts

Think pack will start instead of Josh , he has more guile to unlock a defence imo 

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Can't see many changes, depending on EP's fitness.
 I would love to see Leko and Eliasson on the wings from the off , to really have a go and get an early goal. Won't happen though.

Just can't get excited by COD. I wish him well as seems a nice lad but he's not an entertainer like the other two wingers. Leko would destroy them. 

Few changes as poss. to start, so-

Fielding.

Pisano/ Wright or Vyner. Flint. Baker. Bryan

Patterson. Pack. Brownhill. O'Dowda. 

Reid.   Diediou. 

Prefer Pack to Smith for his greater range of passing, heading ability and presence.

Can bring on Elliason and/or Leko in the last 20 depending on how the game goes. I'd like to see Hodur come on for Bryan with 15 to go to keep him involved.

Hopefully we can get out of the blocks pretty quick and get an early goal to hit their confidence.

Prediction 3-0.

Totally agree that we must start with strongest eleven. Except that our ideas of our eleven may not agree with LJ's.

Burton may come to park the bus or have a go at us.Either way they have scored only once on the road and let in eleven. Even with that miserable record they have two draws away.

So more likely to be on the defensive and ask us to break them down. Patience and hard work then rather than flowing carefree football from us.

From the Burton forum, apart from getting the wrong Johnson, this is quite a good post. They don't seem to fancy facing City...

I mentioned I  watch quite a bit of championship football, I'd like to think I got Leeds pretty much spot on and unfortunately I've seen even more of Bristol City and I'm even more worried. They've been sensational in patches.

They've only lost once in 11 in all competitions so far, losing to Birmingham of all teams. They're scoring goals for fun and they look pretty solid defensively, although I've yet to see another team really put them under a prolonged spell of pressure to see them really tested. In amongst some impressive wins in the league, they've also thrashed Plymouth and beaten Watford (away) and Stoke in the EFL cup, some of their play has been nothing short of sensational. They beat Ipswich 3-1 last time out and even though a couple of the goals took wicked deflections, they were still well worthy of the 3 points. 

I don't think it's come cheap though. The lad they signed from France Diedhiou (for an eye watering 5.4m quid!!!) will frighten us to death, he really does look to have it all, he's strong and quick with the ball at his feet, he holds it up well and shields it fantastically and he can finish with any part of his body. I'm worried if he runs at our back 3 without protection, he'll tear us apart on his own. If he doesn't get 20+ goals this season, I'll eat my hat.

Playing off him is Bobby Reid, a real little terrier, they defend from the front and he works his absolute nuts off. He's a bit clumsy at times with the ball but he seemingly always comes away with it, he's fast and he'll run the channels all night long, if he's up against Warnock, Stephen will have to give himself a 3 yard head start. He's got 7 goals already this season, again some of them fortunate but he's been in the right place at the right time and he's not afraid to take a shot on.

Most of the time they play with a 3 up front, Patterson almost given a free role to pick up the ball anywhere he wants in the final third, his quality into the box has been brilliant, he really does look like he's back to being the threat he was a few seasons ago. 

They've got a really solid 3 at the back, Aiden Flint has been really good for a few seasons now and he's a huge threat in our box on set pieces, a huge threat. I don't think I've ever seen a centre half get on the end of as many set pieces as he does. They've also signed Baker from Aston Villa, a lad who has played more than 100 premier league games, he's got to have a bit more about him than the average championship defender. Certainly another costly signing and Bailey Wright, a proper defender who'll throw himself in the way of anything and everything. The two full backs like to bomb forward, both comfortable on the ball and both capable of putting real quality into our box. I haven't even mentioned the midfield 3 and whether they play Pack or O'Dowda both have good quality and a real work ethic.

It massively helps that Johnson can keep picking the same players week in week out with 4 players being ever present and another 3 more with 10 appearances each. When the core of the side stays the same, it goes a long way.

If they play the way they can and have been playing, we could be in for a long evening. It's going to take every ounce of character, effort, graft, determination, skill, luck, call it what you will to come away with anything more than a dent to our goal difference. Sorry to be blunt. Of course I'm going to the game full of hope we can turn in one of our special backs to the wall performance where one moment of quality going forward nicks us the points.

I like Gary Johnson, he's a really intelligent manager and a nice bloke with it. I know this sounds strange but I wish they'd fired him when they were bottom 3 last year. He's a good manager who given time will get them challenging at the right end of the table. I really hope tomorrow they have an off night.

Read more: http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com/thread/3177/bristol-city-burton-fear-worst#ixzz4vKaW8XaG

3 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Just can't get excited by COD. I wish him well as seems a nice lad but he's not an entertainer like the other two wingers. Leko would destroy them. 

I sort of know what you mean, but he's does one thing that defenders hate, he runs with the ball. I noticed last year how disciplined he was, concentrating on position to cover his fullback. I think LJ has drummed this into him and it has hindered him a little going the other way. As his confidence grows I think he'll be a real asset, and he's different to all the other wide men. Really needs a goal to kick start him I think. 

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

From the Burton forum, apart from getting the wrong Johnson, this is quite a good post. They don't seem to fancy facing City...

I mentioned I  watch quite a bit of championship football, I'd like to think I got Leeds pretty much spot on and unfortunately I've seen even more of Bristol City and I'm even more worried. They've been sensational in patches.

They've only lost once in 11 in all competitions so far, losing to Birmingham of all teams. They're scoring goals for fun and they look pretty solid defensively, although I've yet to see another team really put them under a prolonged spell of pressure to see them really tested. In amongst some impressive wins in the league, they've also thrashed Plymouth and beaten Watford (away) and Stoke in the EFL cup, some of their play has been nothing short of sensational. They beat Ipswich 3-1 last time out and even though a couple of the goals took wicked deflections, they were still well worthy of the 3 points. 

I don't think it's come cheap though. The lad they signed from France Diedhiou (for an eye watering 5.4m quid!!!) will frighten us to death, he really does look to have it all, he's strong and quick with the ball at his feet, he holds it up well and shields it fantastically and he can finish with any part of his body. I'm worried if he runs at our back 3 without protection, he'll tear us apart on his own. If he doesn't get 20+ goals this season, I'll eat my hat.

Playing off him is Bobby Reid, a real little terrier, they defend from the front and he works his absolute nuts off. He's a bit clumsy at times with the ball but he seemingly always comes away with it, he's fast and he'll run the channels all night long, if he's up against Warnock, Stephen will have to give himself a 3 yard head start. He's got 7 goals already this season, again some of them fortunate but he's been in the right place at the right time and he's not afraid to take a shot on.

Most of the time they play with a 3 up front, Patterson almost given a free role to pick up the ball anywhere he wants in the final third, his quality into the box has been brilliant, he really does look like he's back to being the threat he was a few seasons ago. 

They've got a really solid 3 at the back, Aiden Flint has been really good for a few seasons now and he's a huge threat in our box on set pieces, a huge threat. I don't think I've ever seen a centre half get on the end of as many set pieces as he does. They've also signed Baker from Aston Villa, a lad who has played more than 100 premier league games, he's got to have a bit more about him than the average championship defender. Certainly another costly signing and Bailey Wright, a proper defender who'll throw himself in the way of anything and everything. The two full backs like to bomb forward, both comfortable on the ball and both capable of putting real quality into our box. I haven't even mentioned the midfield 3 and whether they play Pack or O'Dowda both have good quality and a real work ethic.

It massively helps that Johnson can keep picking the same players week in week out with 4 players being ever present and another 3 more with 10 appearances each. When the core of the side stays the same, it goes a long way.

If they play the way they can and have been playing, we could be in for a long evening. It's going to take every ounce of character, effort, graft, determination, skill, luck, call it what you will to come away with anything more than a dent to our goal difference. Sorry to be blunt. Of course I'm going to the game full of hope we can turn in one of our special backs to the wall performance where one moment of quality going forward nicks us the points.

I like Gary Johnson, he's a really intelligent manager and a nice bloke with it. I know this sounds strange but I wish they'd fired him when they were bottom 3 last year. He's a good manager who given time will get them challenging at the right end of the table. I really hope tomorrow they have an off night.

Read more: http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com/thread/3177/bristol-city-burton-fear-worst#ixzz4vKaW8XaG

Fair play, he knows more about us than half of our own fans!

Archived