IGNORED

Harry Dolman book

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/mr-bristol-city-remembered-in-new-book/

Great to see. Not much debate here - a book EVERY City fan can truly enjoy. 

I'll admit I know very little about a man who's name is still synonymous with our club. Definitely worth a read. 

Definitely sounds worth getting.

I can remember the whole of middle of the EE turning to face towards the director's box in the Grandstand with scarfs aloft, singing, 'Harry, Harry, Harry, Harry, Harry, Harry, Harrrrrrrrrrrry.'

An example of what a really popular chairman and man of the people Harry Dolman was.

1 hour ago, Threshing Red said:

The original estimate was £50,000. Someone was ripping somebody off somewhere

Not necessaril. This was around the time of the oil crisis and the change to decimalisation, both of which caused rampant inflation. As I remember it the board wanted to put the scheme on hold, believing that the markets would reset themselves. Harry realised that the costs would continue to spiral and insisted they push ahead.

Incidentally, Chelsea did put theirs on hold and got into all sorts of financial trouble, culminating in their relegation to division 2.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not necessaril. This was around the time of the oil crisis and the change to decimalisation, both of which caused rampant inflation. As I remember it the board wanted to put the scheme on hold, believing that the markets would reset themselves. Harry realised that the costs would continue to spiral and insisted they push ahead.

Incidentally, Chelsea did put theirs on hold and got into all sorts of financial trouble, culminating in their relegation to division 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970s_energy_crisis

Archived