IGNORED

Stadium Lighting (Merged)

PFree

Was it me last night or did they forget to turn the stand lights out last night - I'm meaning the inner stand lights that normally go off just after the start of each half ang go back on as the half is ending - in the South Stand, it felt like the spotlights were on us and it was like looking at the pitch through lights that had been left on main beam!

Pegaps there are reasons why they now need to be left on, shame as for me it spoils the evening game atmosphere somewhat..

Apparently it’s down to ‘health and safety’ and it appears there’s no real interest to change it.

This was posted by Mark Kelly last night..

Due to the nature of the new stands, the rake, the need for CCTV in key areas and just general safety,  the lightening needs to remain on.  Due to the feedback, there is a plan to reduce the amount of lights and hence the glare but this is work in progress.

I must admit I’m not exactly sold on the reasoning. Seems very unconvincing to me.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Apparently it’s down to ‘health and safety’ and it appears there’s no real interest to change it.

Due to the nature of the new stands, the rake, the need for CCTV in key areas and just general safety,  the lightening needs to remain on.  Due to the feedback, there is a plan to reduce the amount of lights and hence the glare but this is work in progress.

I must admit I’m not exactly sold on the reasoning. Seems very unconvincing to me.

Not really buying it either. Do other clubs do this?

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The reasoning is clear, how that reasoning was reached, and its veracity, not so much.

43 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Must be the only club in the country to worry about H&S then!:grr:

8 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Must be the only club in the country to worry about H&S then!:grr:

Rightly or wrongly, i’m always a bit cynical about these sort of things and don’t often take the club or messages they put out at face value. 

It wouldn’t be admitted - but I suspect there’s some sort of commercial benefit (subconsciously showing fans the concourse refreshment areas are open?) or it’s to do with the CCTV and catching people misbehaving.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surely they have a dimmer switch…?

42 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Rightly or wrongly, i’m always a bit cynical about these sort of things and don’t often take the club or messages they put out at face value. 

It wouldn’t be admitted - but I suspect there’s some sort of commercial benefit (subconsciously showing fans the concourse refreshment areas are open?) or it’s to do with the CCTV and catching people misbehaving.

I dont disagree. Since almost forever all stand lights have been turned off. Now we have a better ground and facilities we seem to have to light it up. 

Many a night wandering down dark stairways was fine in the old ground but now not ok. 

Club bullshtt i reckon. 

I think the fact that as a crowd we are now 'lit up' during the game as much as the players, the brightness of the e-advertising boards and that the stadium spotlights don't appear too effective, these factors certainly don't help during evening games. I used to enjoy evening games but must admit that if the lighting is like this every week, it doesn't help both the spectacle or atmosphere.

21 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Due to the nature of the new stands, the rake, the need for CCTV in key areas and just general safety

,  ***the lightening needs to remain on.***

Due to the feedback, there is a plan to reduce the amount of lights and hence the glare but this is work in progress.

*** The 'lightening' needs to stay on ***  well then....

That 'strikes' me a reason many fans leave with faces like 'thunder' even after we win night matches. How long before people refuse to take this 'sheet' anymore and 'storm' out ?   The club are gonna have to 'fork' out for a solution sooner rather than later.. expect complaints to 'flood' in.

21 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can't find the quote but pretty sure it said somewhere it was something added to the Health and Safety certificate for the stadium. This would mean it's out of our hands because the certificate has to be valid to have the stadium open. 

4 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

Can't find the quote but pretty sure it said somewhere it was something added to the Health and Safety certificate for the stadium. This would mean it's out of our hands because the certificate has to be valid to have the stadium open. 

Don't suppose that bint from London who declared Ashton Vale is a 'town green'  also sits on 'sag' panels does she? 

Affiliated to... 'Ridiculous Decisions R Us'  ...allegedly.

I feel, as already suggested, the lights should be divided into different zones controlled by different switches. All lights on before, after and at half time, only token lighting on during the game. Any sign of trouble and the stewards could easily ask via their walkie talkies for all lights to put on. 

As the vast majority of fans stay seated during play, the club should look at installing the floor LED track lights which aircraft use for emergencies to guide people along without resorting to having main lights on. If those floor lights are acceptable for aircraft H&S they should be fine for people at our level....

On 27/09/2017 at 17:45, Phileas Fogg said:

It's the sort of thing you hear, believing it makes some sort of sense, until you realise no other club does it. 

Turn the stand lights out during the game...

Turn the advertising boards brightness down...

Turn the pitch floodlights up...

And improve the atmosphere as a result :)

It would be lovely during an evening game to actually be able to see the players and the game...!

Night games should be similar to the cinema, the crowd in near darkness while the match is on, and what they've all come to see bathed in light.

It used to be just like that at Ashton Gate, and it was a fantastic atmosphere to watch football.

Now there's far too much lighting and it's crap, I'm afraid. :(

The pitch looks so dark because of all the 'over the top' lighting around it.....it's expensive enough to attend but when you can't see what's going on at the other end because you are 'blinded' by the lighting then what's the point?! So easy to put this right, just hope someone uses common sense, listens to concerns and acts upon them....

Agree with all of the above. It is one thing about the club which still feels amateurish & random as to which lights they turn off / on and when.

Also sitting in the Dolman the Exit lights in the Lansdown are really bright aswell - it just seems stupid to me that there is so much peripheral lighting going on that puts you off watching the match. All in all the club seem to be getting the Night match experience very wrong at the moment.

It won't happen. The lights being on is the clubs way of covering its liability should someone have one cider to many and slip on a step that they didn't know about.

That's what Health and Safety is.  Nothing to do with your safety, all to do with giving the club protection when someone tries to sue them.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It won't happen. The lights being on is the clubs way of covering its liability should someone have one cider to many and slip on a step that they didn't know about.

That's what Health and Safety is.  Nothing to do with your safety, all to do with giving the club protection when someone tries to sue them.

5 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Agree with all of the above. It is one thing about the club which still feels amateurish & random as to which lights they turn off / on and when.

Also sitting in the Dolman the Exit lights in the Lansdown are really bright aswell - it just seems stupid to me that there is so much peripheral lighting going on that puts you off watching the match. All in all the club seem to be getting the Night match experience very wrong at the moment.

ExiledAjax, you're probably right, but it's just so blindingly stupid. Literally. Cardy, have the same problem mate. I don't see why they can't at least put shades on the lights.

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

That’s the route cause of all the little matchday experience niggles. It’s pretty unfair that Mark Kelly is liable personally for just about anything going wrong - whether it’s his fault or not.

The absurd health and safety rules mean we have to use pointless and unaccountable quangos like SAG who don’t seem to have fan interests at heart.

This has to change - these small issues mount up and there’s already sizeable discontent about the lighting issues alone. 

@Nogbad the Bad summed it up nicely about the lighting and reflected my thoughts and I imagine those of many others.

Personally I couldn’t imagine the thought of suing the club for me tripping over due to it being dark. 

Archived