IGNORED

Stadium Lighting (Merged)

PFree

On 10/14/2017 at 06:56, Mkelly said:

Hi Robbo! As per my email this evening to you, I was indeed there. E33 row 18 for half and hour up to kick off with my AV colleague.  Stood on the steps.   I agree that the recorded content isn't clear.  We've got a few solutions lined up, we don't believe it's the PA but an issue with the transformation of sound through the Recordings.   Update further soon 

I have a suggestion for one of your solutions... Fire the guy and employ someone who knows how to talk down a mic instead of getting hysterical and overexited like a pubescent child. May I suggest you listen to the announcer at Liverpool who remains calm, droll even, when announcing a player, a home player, a goal.. It sounds calm and classy and we are all smart and intelligent folk. We dont need someone shouting at the mic everytime a City player is mentioned. I am flabergasted i am even having to write these words after 45 million has been spent and we cannot even recruit a dulcit toned announcer. The mind boggles at the hilarity of it all. 

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I have a suggestion for one of your solutions... Fire the guy and employ someone who knows how to talk down a mic instead of getting hysterical and overexited like a pubescent child. May I suggest you listen to the announcer at Liverpool who remains calm, droll even, when announcing a player, a home player, a goal.. It sounds calm and classy and we are all smart and intelligent folk. We dont need someone shouting at the mic everytime a City player is mentioned. I am flabergasted i am even having to write these words after 45 million has been spent and we cannot even recruit a dulcit toned announcer. The mind boggles at the hilarity of it all. 

He's a shit PA announcer, that much is clear.

However I would suggest it's a way to try to ramp up the atmosphere. I have a much better suggestion for that though within the bounds of what's possible...

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's a shit PA announcer, that much is clear.

However I would suggest it's a way to try to ramp up the atmosphere. I have a much better suggestion for that though within the bounds of what's possible...

On your second sentence; Sorry but nonsense; its like suggesting the City faithful are not smart or capable enough to create their own atmosphere. AG is not known for being a morgue and no announcer needs to be credited with the task of whipping himself up to a screaming pitch to try. 

6 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Sorry but nonsense; its like suggesting the City faithful are not smart or capable enough to create their own atmosphere. AG is not known for being a morgue and no announcer needs to be credited with the task of whipping himself up to a screaming pitch to try. 

Well, he's just a shit announcer then. When I say whipping up the crowd pre game, his perception not the reality but clearly his perception it's needed maybe...

How about, just for one game switching off the music pre game? Let an atmosphere build naturally. See what happens!

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, he's just a shit announcer then. When I say whipping up the crowd pre game, his perception not the reality but clearly his perception it's needed maybe...

How about, just for one game switching off the music pre game? Let an atmosphere build naturally. See what happens!

Now i am with you 100% :)

Lights were out at Old Trafford tonight. Once again you're lying about health and safety, aren't you? @Mkelly @Dave Storr You pretended standing couldn't ever be allowed in the south stand because the rake is too dangerous and shock the next season S82 are moved there, and now you're lying about this. Get those lights off for the United game.

3 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Lights were out at Old Trafford tonight. Once again you're lying about health and safety, aren't you? @Mkelly @Dave Storr You pretended standing couldn't ever be allowed in the south stand because the rake is too dangerous and shock the next season S82 are moved there, and now you're lying about this. Get those lights off for the United game.

They are most likely not lying, it’s different SAGs so different rules.

different councils have different views 

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

They are most likely not lying, it’s different SAGs so different rules.

different councils have different views 

Why was the South Stand's rake mysteriously not considered dangerous anymore when it suited them? Why for years and years did we never have the lights on before the rebuild in much older, dated stands? Doesn't make sense to me.

• SC&T Board Members
17 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Why was the South Stand's rake mysteriously not considered dangerous anymore when it suited them? Why for years and years did we never have the lights on before the rebuild in much older, dated stands? Doesn't make sense to me.

The rake issue is simple to explain. And it is twofold: the rake of the South Stand is parabolic, i.e. it curves, starting fairly shallow at the front and getting steeper at the back. The back few rows have a rake in excess of 25 degrees. I understand that the previous safety officer (basing his view on national regulations that currently prohibit standing areas with a gradient in excess of 25 degrees) was of the opinion that standing in the South Stand could not be permitted, as fans standing in the rear rows would be in an area with a gradient of over 25 degrees.

The S82 area does not extend to the back of the stand and, I understand, does not exceed 25 degrees on any row. The current management and SAG are therefore prepared to take a more tolerant view towards standing in that area.

As for the lights, I'm as much in the dark as you (or at least, I wish I was during night games!!). It is baffling and most unsatisfactory.

12 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

The rake issue is simple to explain. And it is twofold: the rake of the South Stand is parabolic, i.e. it curves, starting fairly shallow at the front and getting steeper at the back. The back few rows have a rake in excess of 25 degrees. I understand that the previous safety officer (basing his view on national regulations that currently prohibit standing areas with a gradient in excess of 25 degrees) was of the opinion that standing in the South Stand could not be permitted, as fans standing in the rear rows would be in an area with a gradient of over 25 degrees.

The S82 area does not extend to the back of the stand and, I understand, does not exceed 25 degrees on any row. The current management and SAG are therefore prepared to take a more tolerant view towards standing in that area.

As for the lights, I'm as much in the dark as you (or at least, I wish I was during night games!!). It is baffling and most unsatisfactory.

I asked this in the QnA thread and it got brushed under the carpet as a "myth" that football isn't played with lights off in the stands.

Really really poor, didn't have lights on for years up until the rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

LJ often talks about all these 1% but surely having the lights on must be off putting for the players? Surely the players on the pitch sort of blend in with those in the stands?

Interesting thought that actually, might well be off-putting.

Talking of distractions at a game, although this is not City related, I noticed that the LED advertising in the Palace game on MOTD was really big and bright. It's the first time I have thought that when I have seen this used, so I am not sure what they were doing differently, but I hope it doesn't catch on.

15 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

I’d just like a straight 100% honest answer from the club as we’ve been told several different reasons now. 

Shite really. Lack of transparency breeds distrust and is generally bad business practice.

20 hours ago, Up The City! said:

LJ often talks about all these 1% but surely having the lights on must be off putting for the players? Surely the players on the pitch sort of blend in with those in the stands?

I would say the 1% in this instance is more to with that players getting that extra 1% from the fans being up for it during an important night game. With the current light situation at night games, we are not.

It's like being in a bar/restaurant, everyone's chit chatting etc et because that's the atmosphere the lights in the stands create not 100% focused on the game.

Before anyone says it, I know it's light during a day game (although probably is darker than a night game currently!) but your used to that's how football is during a day game. There is/was something so intrinsicly magical about a night game, that atmosphere, the expectation, the energy, that we are just not getting now there are bloody spotlights dazzling the crowd all game.

we really should be doing more to get this returned to how it was, it's genuinely ruining a night game for me, and call me crazy genuinely going to have an effect somewhere, sometime on a game.

I'm not buying this whole breeding distrust with the club not saying anything, that's just rediculous conspiracy therom that everyone seems to love to level at Bristol sport. I do believe it is preferable for them to have them on,  and until a huge fuss is started they will stay on as I am pretty sure it is not a legal requirement but a preference from the club

TURN THE LIGHTS OFF, PLEASE

Write a letter, start a chant? What is to be done?

image.png

50 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I would say the 1% in this instance is more to with that players getting that extra 1% from the fans being up for it during an important night game. With the current light situation at night games, we are not.

It's like being in a bar/restaurant, everyone's chit chatting etc et because that's the atmosphere the lights in the stands create not 100% focused on the game.

Before anyone says it, I know it's light during a day game (although probably is darker than a night game currently!) but your used to that's how football is during a day game. There is/was something so intrinsicly magical about a night game, that atmosphere, the expectation, the energy, that we are just not getting now there are bloody spotlights dazzling the crowd all game.

we really should be doing more to get this returned to how it was, it's genuinely ruining a night game for me, and call me crazy genuinely going to have an effect somewhere, sometime on a game.

I'm not buying this whole breeding distrust with the club not saying anything, that's just rediculous conspiracy therom that everyone seems to love to level at Bristol sport. I do believe it is preferable for them to have them on,  and until a huge fuss is started they will stay on as I am pretty sure it is not a legal requirement but a preference from the club

TURN THE LIGHTS OFF, PLEASE

Write a letter, start a chant? What is to be done?

image.png

The exact lights i asked mr kelly to turn off as your picture. Why we need floodlights beaming onto us when the strip lighting at the rear of the dolman should be enough is beyond me. 

I actually got a headache from these at the last game im going to wear a cap to the next to shield from the beam!

definitely kills off any hope of an atmosphere and as a bcfc ‘customer’ i thought we may be listened to rather than have constant ‘SAG’ recommendations quoted to us. 

And, despite his constant comments of other grounds doing the same, we all watch night games on tv and barely see the same conditions we are now subjected to at the Gate. 

15 hours ago, nickolas said:

The exact lights i asked mr kelly to turn off as your picture. Why we need floodlights beaming onto us when the strip lighting at the rear of the dolman should be enough is beyond me. 

I actually got a headache from these at the last game im going to wear a cap to the next to shield from the beam!

definitely kills off any hope of an atmosphere and as a bcfc ‘customer’ i thought we may be listened to rather than have constant ‘SAG’ recommendations quoted to us. 

And, despite his constant comments of other grounds doing the same, we all watch night games on tv and barely see the same conditions we are now subjected to at the Gate. 

LJ and MA have both talked about "Ashton Gate under the lights" and how its a magical place, and Bristol Sport have taken a huge dump all over that.

I have issues with my eyes at the moment and it's almost got to a point where I'm considering not going.

Please, BCFC, turn them off.

I stumbled across a video the gas done against their game at the weekend. It was basically a guy filming footage of the crowd and the game from the side of the pitch. What struck me immediately was that were no lights within the tents at all. 

Now how can they pass health and safety when one they are all standing which is immediately assumed to be more hazardous and two their ground being in an awful state as it is?

3 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

I stumbled across a video the gas done against their game at the weekend. It was basically a guy filming footage of the crowd and the game from the side of the pitch. What struck me immediately was that were no lights within the tents at all. 

Now how can they pass health and safety when one they are all standing which is immediately assumed to be more hazardous and two their ground being in an awful state as it is?

Tents are easier to get out of in the dark?

Archived