IGNORED

We could be the next Brighton...

CrazyInWeston

Aren't Brighton in huge debt? I appreciate being in the £££ league will help but wouldn't Huddersfield be a better model to follow rather than Brighton?

He IS right in that we have a chance to do something incredible but so do a lot of other clubs in the Championship. All that said, we've never been in a stronger position than we are now, not since the 70's anyway.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Aren't Brighton in huge debt? I appreciate being in the £££ league will help but wouldn't Huddersfield be a better model to follow rather than Brighton?

He IS right in that we have a chance to do something incredible but so do a lot of other clubs in the Championship. All that said, we've never been in a stronger position than we are now, not since the 70's anyway.

If of course, we overlook being 90 minutes away from the promised land.

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

If of course, we overlook being 90 minutes away from the promised land.

Not at all Rob. I think we are better set now, by some margin, than we were then. Don't get me wrong, it would have been great but unsustainable as we were then, that isn't the case any more.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not at all Rob. I think we are better set now, by some margin, than we were then. Don't get me wrong, it would have been great but unsustainable as we were then, that isn't the case any more.

Completely agree we are in a better position now than we were back then.

That Hull game still riles me however.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Completely agree we are in a better position now than we were back then.

That Hull game still riles me however.

I think it riles all of us mate, it just wasn't meant to be with Boom Boom's illness and Brad's injury. 

We'll get there one day! 

• Admin

I like the Burnley model. Used their first spell in the Prem to pay off their debts, did a little sprucing up of their ground and built a state of the art training ground. Now they are back in the Prem and seem to know they are currently still a risk of going down so buy good Championship players (such as Andre Gray then Chris Wood). If they go down they haven't overspent and already have some of the best championship players. 

The tricky part is progressing from that cautious spending with one eye on relegation as Swansea are finding after a few years in the top division. 

Off the field, things have never ever been as good as they are now. The stadium, the youth system, commercial revenue, our gates and income.... Only problem is, there are a lot of other clubs that can say exactly the same thing! We can be hopeful, but we shouldn't demand or expect such success.. After all, we are just one of 24 other Championship clubs hoping to make the step up.

1 minute ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Agreed.

I shudder at the thought but I think we would have 'done a blackpool'.

Not with SL behind us, we wouldn't. That Oyston (?) bloke is after a profit for himself and has killed Blackpool FC. We would have probably gone straight back down but we would have had a laugh doing it! 

Archived