IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Burton Albion Match Day Thread 12

1 hour ago, Coombsy said:

ould take a drubbing. It's purely down to the management staff and the players that we haven't been the Championships whipping boys since we got here. We've been absolutely magnificent, as a club and as a set of fans so far. I've never ever seem a set of fans clap their own team off having just been beaten 5-0 and 5-1 away from home. It made me proud. Like I said though, it hasn't all been rosy and tomorrow night may be another where we have to stick together come the end of the 90 minutes. We could take an absolute pasting.

I mentioned I  watch quite a bit of championship football, I'd like to think I got Leeds pretty much spot on and unfortunately I've seen even more of Bristol City and I'm even more worried. They've been sensational in patches.

They've only lost once in 11 in all competitions so far, losing to Birmingham of all teams. They're scoring goals for fun and they look pretty solid defensively, although I've yet to see another team really put them under a prolonged spell of pressure to see them really tested. In amongst some impressive wins in the league, they've also thrashed Plymouth and beaten Watford (away) and Stoke in the EFL cup, some of their play has been nothing short of sensational. They beat Ipswich 3-1 last time out and even though a couple of the goals took wicked deflections, they were still well worthy of the 3 points. 

I don't think it's come cheap though. The lad they signed from France Diedhiou (for an eye watering 5.4m quid!!!) will frighten us to death, he really does look to have it all, he's strong and quick with the ball at his feet, he holds it up well and shields it fantastically and he can finish with any part of his body. I'm worried if he runs at our back 3 without protection, he'll tear us apart on his own. If he doesn't get 20+ goals this season, I'll eat my hat.

Playing off him is Bobby Reid, a real little terrier, they defend from the front and he works his absolute nuts off. He's a bit clumsy at times with the ball but he seemingly always comes away with it, he's fast and he'll run the channels all night long, if he's up against Warnock, Stephen will have to give himself a 3 yard head start. He's got 7 goals already this season, again some of them fortunate but he's been in the right place at the right time and he's not afraid to take a shot on.

Most of the time they play with a 3 up front, Patterson almost given a free role to pick up the ball anywhere he wants in the final third, his quality into the box has been brilliant, he really does look like he's back to being the threat he was a few seasons ago. 

They've got a really solid 3 at the back, Aiden Flint has been really good for a few seasons now and he's a huge threat in our box on set pieces, a huge threat. I don't think I've ever seen a centre half get on the end of as many set pieces as he does. They've also signed Baker from Aston Villa, a lad who has played more than 100 premier league games, he's got to have a bit more about him than the average championship defender. Certainly another costly signing and Bailey Wright, a proper defender who'll throw himself in the way of anything and everything. The two full backs like to bomb forward, both comfortable on the ball and both capable of putting real quality into our box. I haven't even mentioned the midfield 3 and whether they play Pack or O'Dowda both have good quality and a real work ethic.

It massively helps that Johnson can keep picking the same players week in week out with 4 players being ever present and another 3 more with 10 appearances each. When the core of the side stays the same, it goes a long way.

If they play the way they can and have been playing, we could be in for a long evening. It's going to take every ounce of character, effort, graft, determination, skill, luck, call it what you will to come away with anything more than a dent to our goal difference. Sorry to be blunt. Of course I'm going to the game full of hope we can turn in one of our special backs to the wall performance where one moment of quality going forward nicks us the points.

I like Gary Johnson, he's a really intelligent manager and a nice bloke with it. I know this sounds strange but I wish they'd fired him when they were bottom 3 last year. He's a good manager who given time will get them challenging at the right end of the table. I really hope tomorrow they have an off night.

Read more:  http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com/thread/3177/bristol-city-burton-fear-worst#ixzz4vPJK6T5g

He likes ' Gary ' Johnson , is this a Post reporter ? 

19 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

No reason to question the manager at all but just a quick one guys regarding leko? Mom against derby and one of the best individual performances I have seen at the gate for a long time...a poor 45mins v Norwich and we haven't really seen him since...thought tonight would have been ideal for him

i know it's a squad game and he will get his chances but wanted to see more of him after derby

My guess is, it looks a good game to give Elliasson or Leko a chance but not both.  Reckon Elliasson has been patient enough. Deserves a start. 

• Like 1