IGNORED

Bristol City F.C.and Ashton Gate as You First Knew Them

Nogbad the Bad

Talk of Harry Dolman in another thread got me thinking.

What was Bristol City F.C. like that very first time you visited Ashton Gate? Not so much how old you were, or who City were playing, but the club itself.

For me:

1) Debut: 1970

2) Chairman: Harry Dolman

3) Manager: Alan Dicks

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 2 (Championship)

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces)  Dolman Stand (seating)

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: The Covered (East) End 

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: No family history of supporting City. Was getting to an age where I was starting to become more aware of BCFC and arranged to meet several friends of the same age outside the ground.

8) First memory: Going up the sloping walkway of the EE and getting my first view of the crowd. The colour, the noise, the chants, the swearing, the smoke, the toilet rolls, the excitement. Mike Gibson jumping up to grab the bar before ko.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: John Galley. ' Ohhhhh, Galley, Galley, I'll walk a million miles for one of your goals, John Gallllllllllllllllleeeeey' 'Galley, Galley, Galley Galley, he is the King of the West Country.'

10) Memorable other chant from that day: The adapted Jim Reeves song, 'Over there, over there, and do they smell............like f****** hell' ( pointing at the away fans.)

11) 'What got me hooked?: Everything - the ground, the fans, the team in Red shirts, the whole package. Being at Ashton Gate was a completely different world to anything else I did.

So what was the state of Bristol City F.C., and Ashton Gate, on that fateful day you made your first appearance?

Very interested to see responses of fans of a similar era to me, but equally those older and much younger.

1) Debut 1967

2) Chairman: HD

3) Manager: AD

4) In old div 2.

5) 4 sides of AG  - Grandstand/enclosure, Open ( Park) end, East End what is now Dolman was still open terracing back in '67.

6) I was in the East End

7) Why I first went to AG - No family association with City ( Uncle and Grandfather went to Eastville!) Initial attraction was 4th round cup match against Southampton 

8) First memory the same as yours Noggers. Remember coming to top of walkway and had never seen so many people in one place (35,000 crowd IIRC) buzz and excitement like Id never experienced before.

9) Can't remember.

10) as above

11) Just the same as you .

You're making me feel young! 

1) Debut: 1975

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 2 

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered / east end, Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open / park end, Dolman Stand (seating), schoolboys enclosure in front of the Dolman.

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: The Park end 

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: My dad always went and I had been badgering him for ages.

8) First memory: The smell if I'm honest. Stale beer and fags. I remember seeing the Dolman stand for the first time, it looked massive!

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Gerry Gow, he was a machine! 

10) Memorable other chant from that day: 'You're going in the river, concrete overcoat, CIIIIIIITTTTYYY, cider, cider, cider. If you're standing on the corner...

11) 'What got me hooked?: Tom Ritchie TBH. He scored a hat trick and made my dad happy so that was me set. The noise when the goals went in was awesome too.

So what was the state of Bristol City F.C., and Ashton Gate, on that fateful day you made your first appearance? I was too young to really remember but dad told me we had a good side and the following year he was proven right. The Gate was as it was in the 1979 video on youtube TBH. Half time scores by letter (yes, it was that long ago), kids climbing the fences for a better view and nobody seemed to mind.  Crackers corner was great but I wanted to be with the noisy lot down the other end where the singing came from.

Nice thread! I was six, so memory is vague..

1) Debut: 1990

2) Chairman: Not sure.. Would it have been Les Kew?

3) Manager: Joe Jordan

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 3 (now League 1)

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces)  Dolman Stand (seating)

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Grandstand (seating.. I think)

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: My Dad took me and my brother for a day out.

8) First memory: For some reason, Mansfield's green and yellow kit made an impression on me...As did the state of the toilets at half time! I also remember being overwhelmed by the celebrations after Bob Taylor equalised at the death.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: I remember a chant for Mark Gavin.. It stuck with me because Gavin was the name of my best friend at school at the time.

10) Memorable other chant from that day: Can't remember much else.

11) 'What got me hooked?: I wasn't. It took another couple of games before I really realised what was going on and started to enjoy it. The first game that I really remember is the Louie Donawa derby against Rovers.

So what was the state of Bristol City F.C., and Ashton Gate, on that fateful day you made your first appearance?

At the time, I didn't know much but looking back we were top of the league and heading for promotion to the old division 2 with a really exciting side... I'd imagine there was a real buzz around the place.

1) Debut: 2001

2) Chairman: Laycock/Lansdown (Think the former, can't remember)

3) Manager: Danny Wilson

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 2

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Williams, East End, Atyeo, Dolman 

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Williams

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Dad took me, his dad took him, his dad took him etc etc

8) First memory: How loud it was, think I was maybe ...Think I was 8

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Carey, Murray and Peacock from memory

10) Memorable other chant from that day: was 8, can't really remember

11) 'What got me hooked?: Always had an attraction to local football and enjoyed the enthusiasm of my dad referring to the team as 'we' etc, so just followed suit

So what was the state of Bristol City F.C., and Ashton Gate, on that fateful day you made your first appearance? I believe 2-2 with Brentford, but really can't remember

Ok...I'll give this a go, but needed Google to remind me of certain facts.

City v Leeds 1974 FA Cup 5th round.

37,000 attendance.

Stood in park end.

Uncle took me and my father. I was a very young kid and hardly saw anything apart from the fans all around me. Sat on some shoulders for a while. Lasting memory was fans pissing in newspapers and programmes at half time. Being squashed. The noise. The smell....piss, beer, farts and fags. The chants...although couldn't tell you what they were. Getting fish and chips on way home....a big treat back then.

This will make a few chuckle...My Uncle was a Leeds fan, My father followed City and the Gas, I followed Leeds because as a kid, they were on the telly and in comics like Roy of the Rovers and Shoot.

That game made me become a City fan. However as a kid and young man, it was mainly from a distance, as I played football instead. It wasn't until I retired from playing that I started going regularly.

Programme from the day. And I'm in that crowd somewhere. Plus the whole story of the game and replay can be found here....a good read. http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

city.jpg

city1.jpg

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Ok...I'll give this a go, but needed Google to remind me of certain facts.

City v Leeds 1974 FA Cup 5th round.

37,000 attendance.

Stood in park end.

Uncle took me and my father. I was a very young kid and hardly saw anything apart from the fans all around me. Sat on some shoulders for a while. Lasting memory was fans pissing in newspapers and programmes at half time. Being squashed. The noise. The smell....piss, beer, farts and fags. The chants...although couldn't tell you what they were. Getting fish and chips on way home....a big treat back then.

Programme from the day. And I'm in that crowd somewhere. Plus the whole story of the game and replay can be found here....a good read. http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

city.jpg

city1.jpg

Trust they pissed on Allan Clarke, not Sir Geoffrey!

1) Debut: 1986 - Freight Rover Trophy area Q-F v Northampton Town (won 3-2)

2) Chairman: Des Williams (I think)

3) Manager: Terry Cooper

4) Which division were City in?: Division 3

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: East End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces)  Dolman Stand (seating) and schoolboy enclosure in front of the steps

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Away end enclosure! 

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Family have always been City so Dad took me after plenty of badgering to do so, we got to the ground late and for some reason went in the away in for the only time in my life.

8) First memory: As a 8year old, it was the size of the ground and the floodlights. It was a poorly attended match so the atmosphere wasn't great.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Being in the away end I can't remember....

10) Memorable other chant from that day: As above.

11) 'What got me hooked?: Watching City. The game that really got me was the Freight Rover Trophy area final second leg that year versus Hereford at AG that same season. We were 2 nil down from the first leg and won 3-0 with the last kick of the match in extra time. The crowd was jumping, pitch invasion, the lot....and City were off to Wembley after only my third match of watching them!

Being young I wasn't really aware of 1982 and Ashton Gate Eight at the time, but we clearly needed some cash although we had a really good side under TC. Ashton Gate itself looked spectacular to me at the time but in truth it was probably a little run down and needed some TLC, mind you this was pre-Hillsborough disaster/Taylor report and a lot of grounds around the country needed an upgrade. Not that I gave a toss at the time, I loved the atmosphere in those days.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

What was Bristol City F.C. like that very first time you visited Ashton Gate? Not so much how old you were, or who City were playing, but the club itself.

For me:

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: No family history of supporting City. Was getting to an age where I was starting to become more aware of BCFC and arranged to meet several friends of the same age outside the ground.

8) First memory: Going up the sloping walkway of the EE and getting my first view of the crowd. The colour, the noise, the chants, the swearing, the smoke, the toilet rolls, the excitement. Mike Gibson jumping up to grab the bar before ko.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: John Galley. ' Ohhhhh, Galley, Galley, I'll walk a million miles for one of your goals, John Gallllllllllllllllleeeeey' 'Galley, Galley, Galley Galley, he is the King of the West Country.'

10) Memorable other chant from that day: The adapted Jim Reeves song, 'Over there, over there, and do they smell............like f****** hell' ( pointing at the away fans.)

11) 'What got me hooked?: Everything - the ground, the fans, the team in Red shirts, the whole package. Being at Ashton Gate was a completely different world to anything else I did.

Very interested to see responses of fans of a similar era to me, but equally those older and much younger.

Recall very little of my debut. According to our old man it was 1974 and was against Millwall (cheers pops!) during the fuel shortages/3 day week. City won 5-2 I believe.

I think once Dad had proved to Mum that I'd be OK at the game I was a regular fixture there after, and seem to remember I spent most of my first few years sitting on the East End wall with my legs hanging through the bars!!

I may have dreamed it but one thing I seem to recall from those early days was people walking around the perimeter of the pitch selling chocolate and what not from boxes that were strung round their necks and the box out in front of them??!!

Very similar to you Nogbad, though I reckon it was a season or so later that I started going down the Gate. I've always thought we are of a similar vintage, I was 54 August just gone.

Anyway, the biggest difference is the reason why I went, my father was (is) a lifer, he is 76 now but has been going since the 50s, aside from the time that he played on Saturdays before I started going. Although I was brought up in St.George he went to Ashton Gate school and all his family going back many generations were from BS3 and City.

I also remember the swearing, the threat of violence and just the spectacle of it all.

Although lucky enough to be initiated in the era of Gow, Ritchie and Merrick, all of whom I came to love, I started off worshipping Gary Collier, which is really very strange because in all my footballing years I always played up front.

I also started out in the East End and in the 46 years or so that have passed, reckon I have stood (or sat) in every part of the ground at some point..

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

For me:

1) Debut: 1966

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces)  Dolman Stand not yet built, was open terrace

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: The Enclosure in front of the old Williams Stand 

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: No family history of supporting City. 1966, say no more, plus best health option at my school

8) First memory: The crowd, the noise, being a boy let in to a mans world, it was great.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Can't remember.'

10) Memorable other chant from that day: Can only remember Tom Jones Green, Green grass of home over the tannoy

11) 'What got me hooked?: Everything - the ground, the fans, the team in Red shirts, the whole package. Being at Ashton Gate was a completely different world to anything else I did. Snap

• Admin
2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

For me:

1) Debut: 1987

2) Chairman:  Not sure ???

3) Manager: Terry Cooper

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 3 (League 1)

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Wedlock Stand (Covered terraces), Williams Stand (seating) Park End (Un-covered terraces)  Dolman Stand (seating)

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Park End

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Kids football team I played for had a trip to the game

8) First memory: The atmosphere, the game was against Plymouth and it was mayhem - can still remember being stood in the park with people fighting all over the place with police horses out of control

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Steve Neville 

10) Memorable other chant from that day: TNone

11) 'What got me hooked?: Kind of the buzz of the crowd and a mix of fear and excitement

My first visit was approx 1959 - 60 though I can’t remember the match other than it was a draw with Atyeo scoring a late equaliser. It’s the odd things that stand out such as the bus conductors and drivers sitting on a long bench in front of what is now the Dolman. Public transport to the ground was great in those days, as it had to be, due to few people owning cars. The pitch always seemed to be muddy, though rolled as flat as a pancake with a very heavy roller. The other thing I thought was interesting was City’s strange floodlights, designed and built by Harry Dolman, which can be seen in the picture below (in front of the old cow shed stand). They could be lowered to ground level, to change the lamps I assume. 

DDA249FD-420D-49DC-A309-8B665076030F.jpeg

16 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

My first visit was approx 1959 - 60 though I can’t remember the match other than it was a draw with Atyeo scoring a late equaliser. It’s the odd things that stand out such as the bus conductors and drivers sitting on a long bench in front of what is now the Dolman. Public transport to the ground was great in those days, as it had to be, due to few people owning cars. The pitch always seemed to be muddy, though rolled as flat as a pancake with a very heavy roller. The other thing I thought was interesting was City’s strange floodlights, designed and built by Harry Dolman, which can be seen in the picture below (in front of the old cow shed stand). They could be lowered to ground level, to change the lamps I assume. 

DDA249FD-420D-49DC-A309-8B665076030F.jpeg

I remember those lights Pongo. A guy used to walk around the pitch switching them on one at a time. The switch was under the waterproof coat thing. My first game was 1956 but can't remember anymore details. Hooked from day 1 !

1) 1981

2) Not sure. Archie Gooch?

3) Bob Houghton

4) Div 2

5) Covered End, Grandstand & Enclosure, Dolman Stand, Open End.

6) Dolman Stand

7) Following the family tradition

8) The smell of the ground - mixture of cigarette/cigar smoke and grass (from the pitch, not wacky baccy)

9) Can't remember

10) "Buuuuristol" from the Covered End

11) I was about 8 and had been desperate to go for ages. My dad was (and still is) a supporter so we started going together. Once I had been to a game I never looked back.

1) Debut: 2001 - City 1-1 Port Vale

2) Chairman: Lansdown I think

3) Manager: Danny Wilson

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 2 (League One)

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Williams, East End, Atyeo, Dolman 

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Williams

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Dad took me. He wasn't a City fan but as I was born and living in BS3 he knew City was my club.

8) First memory: The smell of smoke

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Murray...scored for City. Ironically Steve Brooker was the villain as he scored for Vale

10) Memorable other chant from that day: One for the Bristol City as the teams came out

11) 'What got me hooked?: The noise, the songs, the colour...the roar

So what was the state of Bristol City F.C., and Ashton Gate, on that fateful day you made your first appearance? Compared to now, a complete shithole...but it was my shithole and I loved it.

For me:

don't know if your memory is playing tricks or mine, could swear the dolman stand didn't open until 1972.

For me:

1) Debut: 2006

2) Chairman: Steve Lansdown 

3) Manager: Gary Johnson

4) Which division were City in?: League One

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: East End, Dolman, William's, Atyeo (all seated) 

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Bottom right of the dolman 

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: My mum had been a regular in the 70s and 80s and I'd just started showing an interest in the football during the World Cup so she took me. 

8) First memory: Enoch Showunmi rounding the keeper to score and celebrating right in front of me, I was hooked from then on

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Adriano basso 'ohhhhhhhhh basso ohhhhhhhhh basso' 

10) Memorable other chant from that day: Scotty Murray chant

11) 'What got me hooked?: Everything - the size of the ground, the roar when we scored, the players celebrating in front of me, the noise during the game and of course meeting scrumpy the Robin... 

1) Debut: 2009

2) Chairman: SL?

3) Manager: GJ

4) Which division were City in?: Chanpionship

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: the stadium prior to redevelopment

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Atyeo

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: first date with my (now) fiance who was a ST holder 

8) First memory: It was snowing, FA cup 3rd round game against Cardiff. G.Willams equalised late on to take it to a replay. I've never been so cold at a football match.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: I think people were too frozen to sing it was a small attendance

10) Memorable other chant from that day: see above.

11) 'What got me hooked? I was living at the time with the club photographer close to the ground On North street so i knew what was going on at the club and it seemed like a good idea to keep going and the mrs was going every saturday anyway. 8 years ST holder now. S82.

1) Debut: 1997 - Crewe in Feb (with group from school), Chesterfield in April (with family)

2) Chairman: Scott Davidson I think

3) Manager: Joe Jordan first game, John Ward second game

4) Division: Division 2 (League One)

5) 4 Sides: Williams, East End, Atyeo, Dolman

6) Which part? Williams with school, Atyeo with family (as they were ST holders)

7) Why? School had free tickets as part of some outreach program, with family because I enjoyed the first time so much

8) First memory? How green the grass was, how good the atmosphere was - and how I seemed to be a good luck charm!

9) City player song? Can't really remember but I was shouting for Goater and Barnard - think the latter was my favourite player at the time

10) Memorable other chant? Only one I really remember was the old "come on you reds" after we'd scored

11) What got me hooked?  Atmosphere, the fact we won both times probably helped me think we were way better than we actually were!

12) State of the club and ground? I'd never been to a football stadium before - it looked really nice to me and I loved the place.  City were the favourite team in my primary (in North Bristol!) and I thought we were awesome!

Only 50% sure it was Crewe the very first time I went - might have been a cup game given it was free tickets?!

54 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Very similar to you Nogbad, though I reckon it was a season or so later that I started going down the Gate. I've always thought we are of a similar vintage, I was 54 August just gone.

You're fully 5 years younger than me then Graham! I didn't find City until I was about 12 - a few friends from Knowle after starting secondary school - although I'd been taken to a Glos. Cup Final at Eastville previously and come out of the ground very much favouring City. Took a dislike to Rovers' nauseating shirts at first sight, and that has never waned.

58 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Recall very little of my debut. According to our old man it was 1974 and was against Millwall (cheers pops!) during the fuel shortages/3 day week. City won 5-2 I believe.

5-2 it was, on a Tuesday afternoon iirc. Glyn. No problem for me because we had Tuesday afternoon's off at my school ( had to go in Saturday mornings instead :angry:)

Pretty sure Keith Fear got at least 2 that day and the crowd was about 10k ( we thought there would be hardly anyone there) including a few from Millwall who had apparently departed their 'slums' for the day according to the EE.

1) Debut: 1966-67 season

2) Chairman:  Harry Dolman

3) Manager: Fred Ford - he was replaced by AD the following season in Oct 1967

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 2 (Championship)

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End, Open End, Grandstand/Enclosure, and open terracing on what is now the Dolman. ?The wooden stand having been demolished during the summer of 1966 - just before I started going.

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Covered End - in the corner. I was 12.

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Boys at school (Cotham) were going so just caught the no 22 bus from end of my street direct to AG and met up inside - easy back then

8) First memory:  Can't remember the opposition, just the excitement of it all

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?:  Ayteo had just retired,  Chris Crowe, John Quigley, and Hugh McIllmoyle all joined that season and became crowd favourites.

10) Memorable other chant from that day:

11) 'What got me hooked?: The excitement and atmosphere - heightened by no crowd segregation - away fans mixed with home fans in the covered end made for a cracking atmosphere at times...........although it started to get out of hand sometime later (in around 68 I think)

CodeRed

IMG_5920.thumb.PNG.42e8643145e59c779f7667506f2ce296.PNGI wrote about my first visit to the Gate for a school report the following week. Came across it when I was going through some old stuff a while back. Called us 'Bristol' which was shocking but in my defence it was my first visit and I was only just 10 years old! Also not sure why I wrote we were playing Notts County next as it was Sheff Utd. But anyway......Went to watch Somerset the next day as well -  a Carlsberg weekend! 

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

I wrote about my first visit to the Gate for a school report the following week. Came across it when I was going through some old stuff a while back. Called us 'Bristol' which was shocking but in my defence it was my first visit and I was only just 10 years old! Also not sure why I wrote we were playing Notts County next as it was Sheff Utd. But anyway......Went to watch Somerset the next day as well -  a Carlsberg weekend! 

Was just a premonition really - even then you knew there'd only ever be one team in Bristol!

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

For me:

1) Debut: 1966

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces)  terraces in front of flats

So what was the state of Bristol City F.C., and Ashton Gate, on that fateful day you made your first appearance? preferred it back then, dislike what footballs become.

Some great memories on this thread though, makes me think, maybe I will come back one day; poor health and other things take priority atm.

27 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

1) Debut: 2009

2) Chairman: SL?

3) Manager: GJ

4) Which division were City in?: Chanpionship

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: the stadium prior to redevelopment

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Atyeo

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: first date with my (now) fiance who was a ST holder 

8) First memory: It was snowing, FA cup 3rd round game against Cardiff. G.Willams equalised late on to take it to a replay. I've never been so cold at a football match.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: I think people were too frozen to sing it was a small attendance

10) Memorable other chant from that day: see above.

11) 'What got me hooked? I was living at the time with the club photographer close to the ground On North street so i knew what was going on at the club and it seemed like a good idea to keep going and the mrs was going every saturday anyway. 8 years ST holder now. S82.

I remember that game very well! Wasn’t the fixture abandoned before for a frozen pitch? Never seen snow like that at a City game.

For me,

1) Debut: 2001ish

2) Steve Lansdown I think?

3) Danny Wilson

4) Division 2 ( League one )

5) Eastend, Dolman, Atyeo and Williams

6) Dolman

7) Like many, my dad took me along following a birthday party I had on that Saturday morning. Didn’t have a clue what I was in for! 

8) I don’t remember the game as such but just remember the noise, the shouting of pre match programmes, smell etc

9) I think Lee Peacock scored, but the usual Murray, Louis were idolised as ever.

10) Tommy Doc had a song but I couldn’t remember it? He was the first player I saw which I took a liking to! 

11) It was just something I hadn’t done before, not my usual Saturday routine and I thoroughly enjoyed it! 

Archived