IGNORED

Bristol City F.C.and Ashton Gate as You First Knew Them

Nogbad the Bad

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Talk of Harry Dolman in another thread got me thinking.

What was Bristol City F.C. like that very first time you visited Ashton Gate? Not so much how old you were, or who City were playing, but the club itself.

For me:

1) Debut: 1970

2) Chairman: Harry Dolman

3) Manager: Alan Dicks

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 2 (Championship)

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces)  Dolman Stand (seating)

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: The Covered (East) End 

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: No family history of supporting City. Was getting to an age where I was starting to become more aware of BCFC and arranged to meet several friends of the same age outside the ground.

8) First memory: Going up the sloping walkway of the EE and getting my first view of the crowd. The colour, the noise, the chants, the swearing, the smoke, the toilet rolls, the excitement. Mike Gibson jumping up to grab the bar before ko.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: John Galley. ' Ohhhhh, Galley, Galley, I'll walk a million miles for one of your goals, John Gallllllllllllllllleeeeey' 'Galley, Galley, Galley Galley, he is the King of the West Country.'

10) Memorable other chant from that day: The adapted Jim Reeves song, 'Over there, over there, and do they smell............like f****** hell' ( pointing at the away fans.)

11) 'What got me hooked?: Everything - the ground, the fans, the team in Red shirts, the whole package. Being at Ashton Gate was a completely different world to anything else I did.

So what was the state of Bristol City F.C., and Ashton Gate, on that fateful day you made your first appearance?

Very interested to see responses of fans of a similar era to me, but equally those older and much younger.

1. April 1950 v Aldershot

2. HD

3. Pat Beasley, player manager

4. Third Division (South)

5. Covered End terrace. Park End terrace. Where Dolman is now had the Cowshed Stand (500capacity) and uncovered terrace in front. Where Lansdown is now was uncovered terrace. There may have been some of the old Williams under construction but can't remember.

6. Covered End pressed up against front railings a yard or so to the left of the goal.

7. My Dad. He'd seen City as a boy while Billy Wedlock was around before WW1. Moved to Bristol from Rhondda Valley in mid thirties and became a regular fan, when cash funds allowed.

8. The ref 's whistle. He gave what everyone thought was a pen to Aldershot but it was an indirect free kick for obstruction. The Shots' centre half blasted it straight into the net and was rewarded with a load of laughter as ref gave a goal kick.

9 and 10. No singing or chanting players names. Big centre forward was Arnie Rodgers, Davids father and Alec Eisentrager played. I also recall goalie Syd Morgan. This was a year before Atyeo arrived.

11. The crowd, the closeness of the players and the general excitement hooked me forever. No bottles of Coke, chocolate was still rationed, only one toilet for the Covered End where the club claimed a 20,000 capacity. I'll never forget that day, but if I do, will somebody please close the lid quietly.

1) Debut: December 1976

2) Chairman: Whoever followed on from Harry Dolman (did check and it seems he was deposed in 1974)

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 1

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces)  Dolman Stand (seating) with Schoolboy enclosure at front

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Directors' box 

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Mum and dad were both gasheads from the wrong side of the tracks, but dad had a work contact who was on the Leeds board at the time and got us tickets

8) First memory: to be brutally honest, I recall very little from that day, aside from the H-T abandonement

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: not a clue

10) Memorable other chant from that day: not a clue

11) 'What got me hooked?: Didn't get hooked for while: dad still would take me to Eastville. I do recall listening to the Coventry game on the radio at the end of that season, but not sure if I got taken back to AG many times that season.

43 minutes ago, lenred said:

IMG_5920.thumb.PNG.42e8643145e59c779f7667506f2ce296.PNGI wrote about my first visit to the Gate for a school report the following week. Came across it when I was going through some old stuff a while back. Called us 'Bristol' which was shocking but in my defence it was my first visit and I was only just 10 years old! Also not sure why I wrote we were playing Notts County next as it was Sheff Utd. But anyway......Went to watch Somerset the next day as well -  a Carlsberg weekend! 

I like the enthusiasm of a ten year old - the score would have been 10 - 0 if not for the goalie!

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

2. HD

5. Covered End terrace. Park End terrace. Where Dolman is now had the Cowshed Stand (500capacity) and uncovered terrace in front. Where Lansdown is now was uncovered terrace. There may have been some of the old Williams under construction but can't remember.

6. Covered End pressed up against front railings a yard or so to the left of the goal.

7. My Dad. He'd seen City as a boy while Billy Wedlock was around before WW1. Moved to Bristol from Rhondda Valley in mid thirties and became a regular fan, when cash funds allowed.

8. The ref 's whistle. He gave what everyone thought was a pen to Aldershot but it was an indirect free kick for obstruction. The Shots' centre half blasted it straight into the net and was rewarded with a load of laughter as ref gave a goal kick.

9 and 10. No singing or chanting players names. Big centre forward was Arnie Rodgers, Davids father and Alec Eisentrager played. I also recall goalie Syd Morgan. This was a year before Atyeo arrived.

11. The crowd, the closeness of the players and the general excitement hooked me forever. No bottles of Coke, chocolate was still rationed, only one toilet for the Covered End where the club claimed a 20,000 capacity. I'll never forget that day, but if I do, will somebody please close the lid quietly.

First match in 1950 is good but at the last Senior Reds I spoke to a chap whose first match was 1947/8. City played against a German prisoner of war team, with Alec Eisentrager playing for the POWs

59 minutes ago, lenred said:

IMG_5920.thumb.PNG.42e8643145e59c779f7667506f2ce296.PNGI wrote about my first visit to the Gate for a school report the following week. Came across it when I was going through some old stuff a while back. Called us 'Bristol' which was shocking but in my defence it was my first visit and I was only just 10 years old! Also not sure why I wrote we were playing Notts County next as it was Sheff Utd. But anyway......Went to watch Somerset the next day as well -  a Carlsberg weekend! 

A Carlsberg weekend? And you were only 10!!! Good man.:clapping:

33 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I like the enthusiasm of a ten year old - the score would have been 10 - 0 if not for the goalie!

First match in 1950 is good but at the last Senior Reds I spoke to a chap whose first match was 1947/8. City played against a German prisoner of war team, with Alec Eisentrager playing for the POWs

I remember we had a poster on here not so long ago. Was it RedNReady or something like that? Somebody might know. I’m pretty sure his first game was straight after the war!

I hope the young man is well.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Talk of Harry Dolman in another thread got me thinking.

What was Bristol City F.C. like that very first time you visited Ashton Gate? Not so much how old you were, or who City were playing, but the club itself.

For me:

1) Debut: 1970 February 1969 chucking down with rain as City beat PNE 2-1.

2) Chairman: Harry Dolman

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 2 (Championship)

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces)  Dolman Stand (seating)

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: The Covered (East) End The Open End (refer back to answer 1)

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: No family history of supporting City. Was getting to an age where I was starting to become more aware of BCFC and arranged to meet several friends of the same age outside the ground.

8) First memory: Going up the sloping walkway of the EE Open End and getting my first view of the crowd. The colour, the noise, the chants, the swearing, the smoke, the toilet rolls, the excitement. Mike Gibson jumping up to grab the bar before ko.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: John Galley. ' Ohhhhh, Galley, Galley, I'll walk a million miles for one of your goals, John Gallllllllllllllllleeeeey' 'Galley, Galley, Galley Galley, he is the King of the West Country.'

10) Memorable other chant from that day: The adapted Jim Reeves song, 'Over there, over there, and do they smell............like f****** hell' ( pointing at the away fans.)

11) 'What got me hooked?: Everything - the ground, the fans, the team in Red shirts, the whole package. Being at Ashton Gate was a completely different world to anything else I did.

Very similar to you. The following season I graduated to the East End.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

5-2 it was, on a Tuesday afternoon iirc. Glyn. No problem for me because we had Tuesday afternoon's off at my school ( had to go in Saturday mornings instead :angry:)

Pretty sure Keith Fear got at least 2 that day and the crowd was about 10k ( we thought there would be hardly anyone there) including a few from Millwall who had apparently departed their 'slums' for the day according to the EE.

BGS or QEH?

You may have mentioned it before, but I have forgotten.

I went to the same match and recall going to another match around the same time, vs what was then (Leyton) Orient. If I recall the game, opponents and score correctly, we won 5-3, having been two or perhaps even three goals down.

One of those two matches, I can't recall which one, was played in immense fog.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

2. HD

1950? My utmost respect Sir! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

BGS or QEH?

I went to the same match and recall going to another match around the same time, vs what was then (Leyton) Orient. If I recall the game, opponents and score correctly, we won 5-3, having been two or perhaps even three goals down.

BGS Phil. Unfortunately I did well in the 11+ so was given no choice.

Usually on a Tuesday  ( or Thursday, whichever wasn't games afternoon) I seem to remember the buggers would give us extra long homework, just to make absolutely sure we had no free time or enjoyment in our lives whatsoever. 

Anyway......we lost 0-2 at home to Orient in Jan. '74, the 5-3 AG game was a few years earlier, Oct.'71. The Millwall game was a bright, if chilly, February afternoon iirc. 

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

BGS Phil. Unfortunately I did well in the 11+ so was given no choice.

Usually on a Tuesday  ( or Thursday, whichever wasn't games afternoon) I seem to remember the buggers would give us extra long homework, just to make absolutely sure we had no free time or enjoyment in our lives whatsoever. 

Anyway......we lost 0-2 at home to Orient in Jan. '74, the 5-3 AG game was a few years earlier, Oct.'71. The Millwall game was a bright, if chilly, February afternoon iirc. 

Now that is interesting.

You seem to have better access to old statistics than I do - either that, or a far better memory ;) - but, for some reason, I am sure the Orient game to which I referred was played on a weekday afternoon. I even seem to recall switching ends at half-time, from what was then the Open End to the East End, or vice versa.

Are you able to enlighten me?

1) Debut: October 1983, 1-0 v York

2) Chairman: No idea...

3) Manager: Terry Cooper

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 4

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Covered End (terraces) Grandstand (seating) & Enclosure in front (terraces) Open End (terraces), Dolman Stand (seating) with Schoolboy enclosure at front

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Enclosure

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: From a family of City fans... it had to happen sooner or later. It just coincided with our lowest-of-the-low league position.

8) First memory: the state of the toilets, and that they opened the gates/turnstiles to the enclosure at half-time and people were wandering in for free.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: I recall the manager, Terry Cooper, being idolised.

10) Memorable other chant from that day: don't recall

11) 'What got me hooked?: Not this game. I went to a few more during the remainder of the season and we won promotion in 4th place. The game that got me hooked was a pre-season game against Chelsea at the start of the following season where Kerry Dixon missed a penalty in front of the East End.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Now that is interesting.

You seem to have better access to old statistics than I do - either that, or a far better memory ;) - but, for some reason, I am sure the Orient game to which I referred was played on a weekday afternoon. I even seem to recall switching ends at half-time, from what was then the Open End to the East End, or vice versa.

Are you able to enlighten me?

I got it from here Phil.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Leyton Orient/

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

1) Debut 1965

2) HD

3)  Fred Ford

4) Div 3

5) Grandstand, Open End, East End, Old Stand (cowshed)

6) Enclosure

7) Old man used to go in 50's We played Oldham to go up. Badgered him into taking me!

8) How GREEN it all was, only seen footy on B/W tele !

9) Didn't sing then.

Almost identical. That Oldham game was my first but went with my cousin, both of us 11 at the time

I blame the parents. :yes:

1) Debut: 26 September 1998 5-2 home win vs Crewe

2) Chairman: I think it was Scott Davidson

3) Manager: Tail end of John Ward's tenure

4) Which division were City in?: Nationwide Division 1

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Atyeo and Dolman as they are, Williams and Wedlock prior to the new stands now in place.

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Dolman

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Me old man took me down after I started making noises about Manchester United

8) First memory: I remember Greg Goodridge's goal on the day as though it was yesterday.. I was only 5 at the time

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Unsure, though must have been Akinbyi!

10) Memorable other chant from that day: Unsure

11) 'What got me hooked?: Watching City score 5, I thought to score 5 they must have been the best team in the world. Obviously no concept of the league table at that time of course... :facepalm:

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

1) Debut 1965

2) HD

3)  Fred Ford

4) Div 3

5) Grandstand, Open End, East End, Old Stand (cowshed)

6) Enclosure

7) Old man used to go in 50's We played Oldham to go up. Badgered him into taking me!

8) How GREEN it all was, only seen footy on B/W tele !

9) Didn't sing then.

That was my first game too. Stood at the front of the enclosure, cowshed side.

1. 11th Sep 99. v Millwall 0-0 (and i still got my ticket)

2. Davidson (i think)

3. Pulis (i think)

4. League 2 but 3rd tier.

5. Atyeo/Dolman/East End (away fans only) / Williams. 

6. Atyeo.

7. Why did i go. Well i really had no love for it then. Was persuaded by my city loving workmates. One day i said ok sod it.

8. First memory. Being so clueless was expecting the San Siro and got "that"! (Remeber i didnt have a clue then) and also remember thinking 0-0 well that was a waste of saturday afternoon pub time :10_1_108:

9. Goodridge :dunno:

10. No idea. Was thinking how long left.

11. What got me hooked. Well moving a couple years later about 5mins walk from AG. And the sod it lets go at 2:45 on a Saturday thing.

Odd one as my first visit was not football related:

1) Debut: 1993? (pre Atyeo stand)

2) Chairman: Les Kew I think 

3) Manager: Either Denis Smith or Russell Osman

4) Which division were City in?: Div 2 (League 1)

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Williams, Wedlock, Open End (terraces), Dolman Stand but no family enclosure.

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: The Dolman.

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: A firework display in the open end. City sold tickets. I was about 8.

8) First memory: The size.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: N/A

10) Memorable other chant from that day: N/A

11) 'What got me hooked?: Old man kept on about going down the Gate. Crazy atmosphere and had to come back when a football match was on. Then I was truly CTID.

18 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

BGS or QEH?

I went to BGS and when City played Blackpool in FA Cup 1958-9, our form master who hailed from Lancashire allowed three of us with tickets to absent ourselves from the last lesson on Saturday morning in order to get a good spot in the ground. Over 42,000 in there that day and Mike Thresher kept Sir Stan very quiet while Wally Hinshelwood had a blinder

1)1973. I think it was v Pompey and we won 3-0 or possibly 3-1.

2) Div 2

3) Chairman - not sure TBH

4) Manager - Alan Dicks

5) All four sides  - EE, Williams, Dolman, Park End

6) I was in the EE, just to the right of the goal and about half way back - quite close to the waterfall through the hole in the roof!

7) First went with mates from school on the train from Taunton

8) Earliest memory - the noise and the surges.

9) First chant was about Gerry Gow I think - may have been `he`s here, he`s there`

10) Barristol! Made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when 5,000 people chanted it.

11) Hooked? Never any doubt about it after the first match.

Some very interesting replies, especially from those with an insight into BCFC/AG 10/20 years or more before my time.

Not many replies from younger fans who started attending in the last 15 years or so for contrast though.

With the ground being all seater, non smoking, less tolerance to unruly behaviour/swearing, fans in general being more placid etc. perhaps entering the world of Bristol City at AG just wasn't as memorable or exciting when they made their debuts? :dunno:

So many memories shared and forgotten. The three day week 5/2 was against Millwall KO 2pm. Got outta school for the afternoon. 

First game I never even made it in. Boro at home but dad was late so me and my brother sat in the car. :laugh:. LatIsh 60s 

HD and AD were at the helm. I remember the Dolman being built and the big fuss because it had indoor bowls. Hilarious. 

Lots of early memories but nothing to specific. John Galley of course was king and I remember Cardiff at home post Aberfan. 

The and do they smell chant was funny as it was all pretty smelly. 

Remember the Spurs games in 71 and meeting John Atyeo outside the officials lounge most weeks. He must of got fed up of signing shit for me/my old man. Particularly as he packed up years before. :laugh:. 

Went away a lot too. Saw Whiteheads debut and first goal away at Millwall and amount of other games.

i was started young so still only in my mid fifties, but not much I haven't seen. 

1) Not sure to be honest, the earliest I have a clear memory of is Charlton in '66 we won 4 - 0 but I know I had been going before that because I remember telling my cousin (a Charlton supporter) who our best players were. 

2) Div 2

3) Chairman - Harry Dolman,  the one and only

4) Manager - Fred Ford, I remember when fans started to turn on him it felt really weird.

5) All four sides  - East End, the Grandstand, the Enclosure in front of it the "Open End" and the bank where the Dolman is now. Also remember the Hospital radio post in the Open End and "Crackers Corner".

6) I was in the East End with my legs through the railings at the front. The coppers would come along when they were bored and get us to get down. As soon as they passed, we would jump back up again. :) 

7) Always with my dad

8) Just the noise and the excitement

9) First chant that sticks in my mind was John Galley Superstar, but I used to love the "red, red robin" 

10) I used to love it when the crowd would get animated enough that all sides of the ground would chant, I real swell that went up at times.

11) Just a habit, it was never in doubt that I would keep going.

1) Debut: Jan 90

2) Chairman: Les Kew (?)

3) Manager: Joe Jordan

4) Which division were City in?: Div. 3 (league1)

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: Dolman

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Birthday treat.  Old man wouldn't go to Everton but worked in Strachan & Henshaw (now Babcock) so AG was the most sensible destination for an eight year old - and far preferable to Bath!

8) First memory: The size of the crowd and the smell of pipes.  I loved it.

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: All I remember is 'COMMMMME OOOOOOOONNNN YOOOOUUUUUU REEEEEEDS !!

10) Memorable other chant from that day: 

11) 'What got me hooked?: It was just the best thing ever.  Football was all life was really about.

Interesting little fact was that it has transpired it was the same game Steve first took an eight year old Jon Lansdown too.

My view would have been very similar to this.  I think we were a bit higher up but certainly that end of the Dolman:

IMG_1032.JPG

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Remember them well.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-OteAgvINc

Image result for Rockin Robins cheerleaders, Bristol City

The Rocking Robins were fun, but I had the misfortune to watch Pete Budd and the Rebels provide pre-match “entertainment”. Ugh. 

(For those who don’t know, Pete Budd moved on from his unsuccessful rock and roll career and joined Adge Cutler and the Wurzels)

I’m doing one for my grandson, whose yet to be born!

1) Debut: Feb 2028

2) Chairman: Jon Lansdown 

3) Manager: Lee Johnson

4) Which division were City in?: Prem, obviously 

5) What were the 4 sides of Ashton Gate?: Lansdown Stand, South Stand, Dolman Stand & new two tier Atyeo Stand, wrapping around from the Lansdown 

6) Which part of the ground was I in that day?: South Stand (East End, of course)

7) Why did I first go to to AG?: Grandad insisted 

8) First memory: The noise, the flags, Section 82 was immense!

9) Which City player was idolised in song that day?: Tammy Abraham, definitely worth the £250M we paid Chelsea for him.

10) Memorable other chant from that day: “We’re top of the Prem, we’re top....”

11) 'What got me hooked?: Tammy’s hat trick, beating Man Utd 4-0, but most of all being part of the best family in the world 

Archived