IGNORED

Eliasson, not a good 55 minutes

brady bunch

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Lee just said the same but also said we needed a early goal then why chop and change

Because he was flying in training.  It's a squad game over a season.  If you was the manager and a fringe player was bang on it in training then surely you would throw him into a game where the opponent was always going to park the bus where you need someone to unlock the defence This was always going to be drab.  We will do better against the better teams by hitting them on the counter attack and ther are more "better" teams than poor teams in this league.   Move on to the next game and be glad we kept another clean sheet 

Eliasson had a poor game tonight, but I thought our other attacking players (Paterson, Reid, Diedhou) were all below par as well. There were too many wrong decisions and we often struggled to keep the ball under control when we got into the final third. Leko looked lively when he came on but there was no end product.

Replacing Eliasson with Leko was wrong call.  Both are inexperienced and relying on them was a bit naive by LJ 

Think we should have started with either Leko or Eliasson, and if that wasn't working that bring on Callum who can be relied on to carry the ball or get a free kick.

Felt sorry for the strikers tonight.  No real service from the wings, and to be fair to Burton they snuffed out anything through the middle.

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Rubbish.

Flint was absolutely outstanding, even trying to make play when others around him couldn't.

Wright did nothing wrong either,.

They were best two of the bunch but their  job is to defend and as Burton offered no serious threat they had licence to play in a more attacking manner.

Point is they shouldn't have needed to. The other 8 outfield players were poor as a whole.

It occurred to me that the midfield lacked creativity with Smith and Brownhill largely anonymous. Diedhiou was playing up top on his own with Reid dropping back in to help in midfield.  It was slightly better when Pack came on.

But...despite it being a disappointing game at least City didn't lose it.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Leko at least tried to beat his man, Eliasson just checked out all the time. Very disappointing. To be fair no City player managed to get quality crosses in, even Bryan on the few occasions he got forward only gave their goalie catching practice. Pato, Leko etc all persistently failed to get their crosses past the first defender. As others have said needed better movement and really missed Taylor, also strange the COD never got a look in even off the bench. Woodrow offered nothing and Reid was lost when pushed back into midfield. Add to this Diedhiou often letting the ball bounce off him 2 yards and hardly surprising their keeper was virtually untested.

No lack of effort, but a real lack of quality.

I genuinely think we are better away. 

1 hour ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Because he was flying in training.  It's a squad game over a season.  If you was the manager and a fringe player was bang on it in training then surely you would throw him into a game where the opponent was always going to park the bus where you need someone to unlock the defence This was always going to be drab.  We will do better against the better teams by hitting them on the counter attack and ther are more "better" teams than poor teams in this league.   Move on to the next game and be glad we kept another clean sheet 

Surely if you are a manager you get the game won with trusted players and then chuck him on,you really don't buy the "he was flying in training" bull  crap do you. If it would have been Cardiff at home he wouldn't of started.Good username by the way

Nothing like an international break and a manager of the month syndrome to check the momentum. I don't think it is fair to single out one player when it seems most were less sharp than they were 2 weeks ago. 

Burton were probably the best team we could have played; an off night but against a team that had no idea how to get through the City defence. 

Notwithstanding what seemed like a rank amateur of a Referee. 

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Surely if you are a manager you get the game won with trusted players and then chuck him on,you really don't buy the "he was flying in training" bull  crap do you. If it would have been Cardiff at home he wouldn't of started.Good username by the way

Of course I do   They said before the game he was flying in training so why wouldn't I believe it    If one of my players was bang on it in training then yes I would put him in.  It's slightly different if they're is s game sat tue sat because you then generally pick a team based on the performance in those games but after a break you can only go on training performance.  

If he comes in and scores a hatricjk LJ is a genius if he is poor then LJ is battered   That is football I suppose.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing     I looked at the team at the start and was pleased so I'm not going to knock him because we didn't win. Burton will do that to s lot of teams this year 

1 minute ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Of course I do   They said before the game he was flying in training so why wouldn't I believe it    If one of my players was bang on it in training then yes I would put him in.  It's slightly different if they're is s game sat tue sat because you then generally pick a team based on the performance in those games but after a break you can only go on training performance.  

If he comes in and scores a hatricjk LJ is a genius if he is poor then LJ is battered   That is football I suppose.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing     I looked at the team at the start and was pleased so I'm not going to knock him because we didn't win. Burton will do that to s lot of teams this year 

Despite their two 4-0 defeats home, that was their third clean sheet in a row away.

10 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah sounds like we have a real lack of quality in the side. Despite being beat only once this season.

Eliasson not going to cut the mustard. Woodrow, can we send him back? Diedhiou couldn't trap a bag of cement.

That's three 0/0 away results for Burton so was never going to be a given just because weve hit the top six.

Just because we couldn't break them down tonight doesn't mean we lack quality, time will tell on that lets see how were preforming in the next six weeks.  If were still up around the top six come the new year, then it's time to maybe get excited and for sure this time there will be a couple of class incomings.

Just can't see why the 0/0 tonight should take anything away from results in the last few weeks.

Well, let's hope he never comes up against Seamus Coleman.

Seemed to be on a different wavelength to the fullback all night, going long when it was made to come short for an overlap and vice versa.

Odd game to give him a start and didn't cover himself in glory (then again who did last night?) but hopefully he'll come back stronger for it. 

To single our Eliasson and Leko when there was so many poor performances is odd.

I don't think Dieudhiou covered himself in glory either.  Woodrow was anonymous when he came on. 

Even Joe was poor in the first half, although he was our best outlet in the second when they decided, bizarrely,  to play no one on their right.

If we continue to be strong at home then there will be many more teams defending like this. 

Đurić is the perfect answer to those tactics where we can go more direct and play off of him. This is plan B which LJ has said weve never really had to use this season. 

Tbh, i think the games v Leeds etc will be more easy to win as they’ll come down to atleast attempt to win thus leaving more space for our attacking play. 

The likes of Millwall, Burton and Bolton will use those tactics at almost every away ground this season so its nothing we probably wont see again. 

Only thing we probably failed to do last night was use Flint up top for final 10 to see if he had a similar effect. 

Wide men din't do a thing last night. Eliasson still learning the League and Leko wanted to come deeper and cut inside when we needed to stretch the pitch. Odowda may have been the better option but I wanted Eliasson and Leko to be given a go so I can't moan too much. LJ said after they have both been very good in training , just a bad night for them. 
I really think if Piasno plays , the winger plays slightly differently. He'll push the winger up and overlaps more naturally , going to be hard for LJ when he's fit, be tough to drop any of the back 4 but for me he'd start. Wright has the shirt and will hard to dislodge though.
I think LJ did make an error in bring on Woodrow , admittedly this is hindsight though I was surprised , I though Taylor may have been the option I was surprised he wasn't on the bench. Difficult choices for Johnson and with the 2 loanees it's hard to pick the bench. 

Archived