IGNORED

Eliasson, not a good 55 minutes

brady bunch

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Nothing like an international break and a manager of the month syndrome to check the momentum. I don't think it is fair to single out one player when it seems most were less sharp than they were 2 weeks ago. 

Burton were probably the best team we could have played; an off night but against a team that had no idea how to get through the City defence

Notwithstanding what seemed like a rank amateur of a Referee. 

I disagree, the way we play Burton are the worst kind of team for us to play. We press and counter attack with pace. If the opposition have 10 men behind the ball and little possession, it's going to nullify that to an extent. It's something this team needs to learn how to deal with, but it's not going to be as big a problem most of the time

As for Eliasson, LJ needs the young players to believe that if they're good in training they'll get a chance in a game. I think he should have brought COD on after Eliasson didn't work out, simply because he's a different kind of winger and it needed a different approach

I thought Eliasson was trying to be too clever - ie dribbling when, with his speed, he could sometimes have just knocked the ball past the full back and chased it into space. This was certainly true in the first half, when they weren't quite as deep.

I don't know why we feel the need to do this. Burton made the game uncomfortable for us. It happens and especially with a young team. The youth got caught out tonight with their impatience. Forcing balls into tight areas and played right into what Burton wanted. 

Still no need to pick out players who were poor, especially the young ones. Personally though Eliasson was ok until he swapped wings half way through first half. Then his confidence dropped after he was tackle a couple times. Very predictable on the left looked better on the right. 

Leko I thought was better simply because he was the only played to make Burton uncomfortable with his direct running. Again, he's 18 and going to make boneheaded errors and he did. Still, I'd have given him the ball every time for him to work his way into the box where they couldn't get as close to him. 

As for LJ making a couple changes, give him a break. There are 20 so mouths to feed and it was a chance for Eliasson and that's the end of it. I expect COD to be back out there against Leeds. Keep in mind COD was away on international duty as well so maybe the Friday night was a chance to give him a bit more of a break for someone who will probably be the starter the rest of the way. Plus, LJ got so much stick for not giving Gustav a go and now getting it for giving another young player a go. So make up your minds. 

All in all, it was a professional(I don't agree with it) performance from Burton. We have the quality to break that down but on this night and with inconsistencies of youth, we didn't. It's really as simple as that. We've gone from a young team that was the underdog all of last season to a slightly older team that scare teams to defend and slow the game down. A drastic difference in less than a year. It'll take more games to get that nous for breaking teams like that down. A rough night but an important one for the learning process. 

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't know why we feel the need to do this. Burton made the game uncomfortable for us. It happens and especially with a young team. The youth got caught out tonight with their impatience. Forcing balls into tight areas and played right into what Burton wanted. 

Still no need to pick out players who were poor, especially the young ones. Personally though Eliasson was ok until he swapped wings half way through first half. Then his confidence dropped after he was tackle a couple times. Very predictable on the left looked better on the right. 

Leko I thought was better simply because he was the only played to make Burton uncomfortable with his direct running. Again, he's 18 and going to make boneheaded errors and he did. Still, I'd have given him the ball every time for him to work his way into the box where they couldn't get as close to him. 

As for LJ making a couple changes, give him a break. There are 20 so mouths to feed and it was a chance for Eliasson and that's the end of it. I expect COD to be back out there against Leeds. Keep in mind COD was away on international duty as well so maybe the Friday night was a chance to give him a bit more of a break for someone who will probably be the starter the rest of the way. Plus, LJ got so much stick for not giving Gustav a go and now getting it for giving another young player a go. So make up your minds. 

All in all, it was a professional(I don't agree with it) performance from Burton. We have the quality to break that down but on this night and with inconsistencies of youth, we didn't. It's really as simple as that. We've gone from a young team that was the underdog all of last season to a slightly older team that scare teams to defend and slow the game down. A drastic difference in less than a year. It'll take more games to get that nous for breaking teams like that down. A rough night but an important one for the learning process. 

Unlike most others on here, I agree about Leko, he was much more direct and actually created some excitement unlike Eliasson who frustrated.

We must not forget Leko showed against Derby what he can do - he is clearly inconsistent (that's why he's here) but if I wanted to place a bet, he looks the much better prospect right now and I would be looking to loan Eliasson in January to get him game time outside the unforgiving Championship.

On 13/10/2017 at 23:05, pride of the west said:

But odowda impressed in an international football match

And may have had a knock , or a migraine , or been overtired ...

I agree with your sentiment but as always we don't have access to all the information that the coaches do.

Personally I think that all being equal he would have been the better option as he has played more often in the team and we needed that bit of spontaneity and understanding of team mates game to open up Burton.

Ive not been at all impressed with Elisson.  Either he's not good enough or lacks confidence.  From what I have seen, Leko seems better, though not a lot on Friday.

Quality of crosses from both are quite poor though and there is rarely anyone on the end.  Sometimes you need to whip them in hard and low if your strikers are not winning anything in the air.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Ive not been at all impressed with Elisson.  Either he's not good enough or lacks confidence.  From what I have seen, Leko seems better, though not a lot on Friday.

Quality of crosses from both are quite poor though and there is rarely anyone on the end.  Sometimes you need to whip them in hard and low if your strikers are not winning anything in the air.

Is he as ' awful ' as Matt Smith was ? 

I thought his corners were pinged in nicely, more pace than Pato's that are so slow the opposition have time for a cup of tea and sandwich before swatting the ball away like a wasp at a picnic .

I agree with the poster who said that he wasn't helped by having Bailey Wright behind him, as he is never going to overlap and doesn't help create any space for the winger. 

I have a lot of time for Bailey Wright, but I'd have Pisano straight back in once he is fully fit.  Wright can hardly displace either Flint or Baker at the momenty, so does this mean a new captain on the field?

11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I agree with the poster who said that he wasn't helped by having Bailey Wright behind him, as he is never going to overlap and doesn't help create any space for the winger. 

I have a lot of time for Bailey Wright, but I'd have Pisano straight back in once he is fully fit.  Wright can hardly displace either Flint or Baker at the momenty, so does this mean a new captain on the field?

I don't agree that Bailey Wright can't displace Flint or Baker at the moment , it is surely more to do with the fact that those two haven't played right back whereas BW did for Preston, bit of à no brainer there for LJ .

It will , however , be interesting to see what happens when Pisano is back . 

BW has done nothing to lose his previous position alongside Baker but Flint is nearly undroppable . 

Tough decisions coming up for the coaches they will probably have to make their selections on a match by match basis.

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I don't agree that Bailey Wright can't displace Flint or Baker at the moment , it is surely more to do with the fact that those two haven't played right back whereas BW did for Preston, bit of à no brainer there for LJ .

It will , however , be interesting to see what happens when Pisano is back . 

BW has done nothing to lose his previous position alongside Baker but Flint is nearly undroppable . 

Tough decisions coming up for the coaches they will probably have to make their selections on a match by match basis.

Indeed but will Pisaro get straight back in at RB?  Tough decision for LJ coming up.......

I thought Wright got forward pretty well against a team who essentially had 11 men behind the ball. He didn't look entirely comfortable tho. Bombing forward doesn't appear to be part of his natural game.

Archived