IGNORED

Ref

Londoner

52 minutes ago, shelts said:

Ref Below average . City below average 

hard to disagree, but citys performance was not helped by someone who gave us almost nothing, and seemed determined that little burton were going to get something from the game if I have anything to do with it.

I've never come nearer to wanting to vault the barriers and tw*t someone than tonight with that ref. 

I don't pay money and sacrifice my evening to watch blokes throwing themselves on the floor and feigning injury every time they lose possession of the ball. That isn't football. That isn't "the beautiful game". That is basically just boring, cheaty, untalented crap.

But that was Burton's main tactic - and the shit house in black not only bought it wholesale but seemed to collude with their time-wasting. 

You expect - sadly - a degree of such anti-football at matches these says,  but not to the ludicrous degree of tonight.

That**** should never officiate a league game again, and as for Burton - I hope they get relegated and go bust. 

1 hour ago, TNBT said:

From what I saw they paid him to give every decision to them no matter weather they committed the foul or not, only thing I'm happy about is we didn't lose the first game I've attended in too long. 

In their set of accounts there is a column for 'out of pocket and erroneous payment's. ;)

8 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Absolute shit ref . But wasn't his fault we didn't win. He didn't help. But we couldn't break down one of the worst championship sides I've seen. The worst sorry 

The ref may or may not be a valid "reason" we didn't win last night; the fact is whatever the ref did or didn't do we had at least a dozen chances to take the 3pts we didn't, so we have to put up with 1pt instead.

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've never come nearer to wanting to vault the barriers and tw*t someone than tonight with that ref. 

I don't pay money and sacrifice my evening to watch blokes throwing themselves on the floor and feigning injury every time they lose possession of the ball. That isn't football. That isn't "the beautiful game". That is basically just boring, cheaty, untalented crap.

But that was Burton's main tactic - and the shit house in black not only bought it wholesale but seemed to collude with their time-wasting. 

You expect - sadly - a degree of such anti-football at matches these says,  but not to the ludicrous degree of tonight.

That**** should never officiate a league game again, and as for Burton - I hope they get relegated and go bust. 

I have read this three times now. I think that must be a first on OTIB. I cannot say I would wish for a team to go bust but the passion in the conjugation of the sentences my friend is mind blowingly gorgeous. 

Opposition teams will have worked out our pressing game by now and  especially at AG I think we can expect more teams to come with a similar tactic to Burton          (although hopefully not to such an extreme). 

I can see us being more able to play out game away from home, where their is more of an onus on the home team to take the game to us, but at home LJ is going to have to come up with a tactical plan that will counter teams just prepared to sit back with 2 banks of 4 and defend. At this level even the so called lesser teams, like Burton, have players quite capable of being organised and defending pretty solidly, if that is the extent of their ambition, and if we are going to maintain our position in the top half of the table then we have to be able to do something about it.

Burton have clean sheets in each of their last 4(?) away league games, but have conceded 4 in each of their last 2 home games, which I think illustrates the point well. 

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The ref and Burton were a lesson in how to frustrate the opposition and the home fans. 

Mid way through the first half I thought we must have been  playing one of Colin's teams. Same feigning injury, delaying free kicks and throw ins and generally time wasting. At the half time 45 the ref added two mins............:dunno:

Same antics in the second 45 and on 90 mins he added......4 mins..........:facepalm:

Poor refereeing of the highest order. 

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The ref and Burton were a lesson in how to frustrate the opposition and the home fans. 

Mid way through the first half I thought we must have been  playing one of Colin's teams. Same feigning injury, delaying free kicks and throw ins and generally time wasting. At the half time 45 the ref added two mins............:dunno:

Same antics in the second 45 and on 90 mins he added......4 mins..........:facepalm:

Well, his son was on the pitch.  He must fit right in. 

To anyone who says it's also about City, yes we were poor second half, and crosses and final ball awful throughout, and Pack clearly way off the required standard his teammates have been churning out this season, but I actually thought we played some really decent stuff for the first half an hour (quick short passing and interplay) and as others have said, it really was Mr. James Linnington that decided the outcome of the game.

I think someone else makes the point, but the players WERE visibly affected, they were probably as demoralised as we were. Sometimes you howl in derision at a poor referee making mistakes and then the law of averages brings a decision your way and all is forgotten and there is no need for fear or resignation among the players. It looked to me like the ref doubled down on his efforts to favour Burton the more we reacted to it. 

That 75% possession 60% fouls stat says it all. Even if the referee set his stall out to be fussy, it should be consistent. But no, only when the Burton player tumbles. I would bet anything Clough has had a chat with the referee before the game and put something in his head about "defending his players". Then sends them out to feign injury or not understand where a free-kick should be taken from. Totally and cynically engineered that game.

Last year I made Burton the better team over both games. I thought they were a credit to their league position. Even came to AG and created chances. There are no two ways about it but this season they are absolutely horrific. Come and park the bus by all means, that is your right, but cheating from the first minute? And a referee who quite deliberately laps it all up? At what point did any of these people decide to get involved in "sport".

10 hours ago, Super said:

Did anyone appeal for the pen? 

Yes, me! You're missing my point though. No, probably not a pen, but by the same token Brownhill's challenge in the build up to our goal wasn't a foul either. What I'm saying is that if any challenge where a player wins the ball but makes some contact with the opponent is a foul ( as per the Brownhill challenge) then the challenge on Fammy was a foul too. I don't think either was a foul, but it beats me how you can interpret one as a foul and the other not.

I don't really have a problem with how they started the game, I thought they worked hard and tried to play in the early part of the game. In that spell we also looked good, quick incisive passing and movement was good. Then we seemed to do too many flicks that didn't come off,and we started to lose our way a little. The Ref started giving them a lot of really soft free kicks , while letting some really robust challenges from them go unpunished. That led to them playing on it a bit and making the most of it, that's when it seemed they went down with a slight breeze and yet doing challenges like the one on Fammy.

He really didn't seem to know what he was doing at times. One free kick against us , their player stayed down and the Ref signalled to the trainer not to come on as it was a coming together. And didn't he stop play for a head injury with us in possession and give them the ball?  As said before , 4 minutes added only equals the subs and bookings , no time for timewasting or injuries , bloke was useless.
Be interesting to see if he gets a game next week.

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

The ref may or may not be a valid "reason" we didn't win last night; the fact is whatever the ref did or didn't do we had at least a dozen chances to take the 3pts we didn't, so we have to put up with 1pt instead.

We did. We took one, which would have been enough. The fact that we ended up with that one not counting was entirely down to the ref.

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We did. We took one, which would have been enough. The fact that we ended up with that one not counting was entirely down to the ref.

I wonder if this ref was one who sent us a letter of apology last season?

Two season's in a row now then?!

24 minutes ago, Olé said:

To anyone who says it's also about City, yes we were poor second half, and crosses and final ball awful throughout, and Pack clearly way off the required standard his teammates have been churning out this season, but I actually thought we played some really decent stuff for the first half an hour (quick short passing and interplay) and as others have said, it really was Mr. James Linnington that decided the outcome of the game.

I think someone else makes the point, but the players WERE visibly affected, they were probably as demoralised as we were. Sometimes you howl in derision at a poor referee making mistakes and then the law of averages brings a decision your way and all is forgotten and there is no need for fear or resignation among the players. It looked to me like the ref doubled down on his efforts to favour Burton the more we reacted to it. 

That 75% possession 60% fouls stat says it all. Even if the referee set his stall out to be fussy, it should be consistent. But no, only when the Burton player tumbles. I would bet anything Clough has had a chat with the referee before the game and put something in his head about "defending his players". Then sends them out to feign injury or not understand where a free-kick should be taken from. Totally and cynically engineered that game.

Last year I made Burton the better team over both games. I thought they were a credit to their league position. Even came to AG and created chances. There are no two ways about it but this season they are absolutely horrific. Come and park the bus by all means, that is your right, but cheating from the first minute? And a referee who quite deliberately laps it all up? At what point did any of these people decide to get involved in "sport".

Your usual excellent summary Ole! I agree, first 30 mins was a decent game and we played some good stuff. We just seemed to run out of ideas, and maybe belief not least because it's hard enough playing against a wall of 10 without adding in the ref. My take is that Clough's half time talk was a quick run through all the different ways of benefitting from a ref who's clearly going to take no action on time wasting, feigning injury etc.

What are we going to do about it?

Seriously, Johnson or someone should have nutted the #### yesterday. But after the event, what can we as fans do to change the culture? 

Burton came here to dive and cheat their way to 1 point and the ref (ergo the EFL/FA/whoever) were wholly complicit at best and corrupt at worst.

Where can we complain or at least point out that Linington is not welcome at our games again?

37 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, me! You're missing my point though. No, probably not a pen, but by the same token Brownhill's challenge in the build up to our goal wasn't a foul either. What I'm saying is that if any challenge where a player wins the ball but makes some contact with the opponent is a foul ( as per the Brownhill challenge) then the challenge on Fammy was a foul too. I don't think either was a foul, but it beats me how you can interpret one as a foul and the other not.

I agree the brownhill one looks soft just saying i dont remember the nailed on pen we didnt get.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

However bad the referee was and however negative Burton were, to have 75% of possession and only have 4 shots on target all night clearly shows that somewhere along the line there was/is a problem.

You couldn't criticise the midfield for their tackling or defending but the passing radar was shocking all night and the introduction of Pack never improved things one iota, it never helped that Reid fell into the same category his passing was abysmal, they were slow, predictable and laboured and quickly ran out of ideas and more often than not picked the wrong pass especially when players were in dangerous positions and unmarked.

But at least we never lost.

57 minutes ago, Super said:

I agree the brownhill one looks soft just saying i dont remember the nailed on pen we didnt get.

Just going by the highlights, It's probably the challenge on Fammy early on.

Its one of those challenges that anywhere else on the pitch would be a foul, but that refs tend to bottle when in the penalty area.

Archived