IGNORED

Ref

Londoner

20 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

However bad the referee was and however negative Burton were, to have 75% of possession and only have 4 shots on target all night clearly shows that somewhere along the line there was/is a problem.

You couldn't criticise the midfield for their tackling or defending but the passing radar was shocking all night and the introduction of Pack never improved things one iota, it never helped that Reid fell into the same category his passing was abysmal, they were slow, predictable and laboured and quickly ran out of ideas and more often than not picked the wrong pass especially when players were in dangerous positions and unmarked.

But at least we never lost.

It's simple - they frustrated us - they came for the point and got it. They prevented us from playing our usual high press game and well done to them. That point could well save them come May next year.

Personally I thought our midfield was lightweight. Smith and Brownhill weren't on their game and so frustrated was Reid that he started to drop back getting deeper and deeper.

They stiffled us so effectively it's it's hard to recal a shot on target.

Oh well......on to Leeds now.

11 hours ago, pillred said:

hard to disagree, but citys performance was not helped by someone who gave us almost nothing, and seemed determined that little burton were going to get something from the game if I have anything to do with it.

Ok pal i get it . Seen worse refs at the Gate and we have won. Not seen many teams be so negative against us which means we must be doing ok

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

Ok pal i get it . Seen worse refs at the Gate and we have won. Not seen many teams be so negative against us which means we must be doing ok

so have I, but not usually quite so biased towards the other team, but yes we didn't help ourselves much.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's simple - they frustrated us - they came for the point and got it. They prevented us from playing our usual high press game and well done to them. That point could well save them come May next year.

Personally I thought our midfield was lightweight. Smith and Brownhill weren't on their game and so frustrated was Reid that he started to drop back getting deeper and deeper.

Funny how we all see things differently.  To my mind, Brownhill was the only forward-minded player to have a good game.  Maybe, a shout for Bobby at a push too.

As Burton didn't try to play football , to my mind that game was crying out for us to play three at the back. 

They had 10-man defence - fine, then let's put an extra man in our attack.

At least we know Leeds will be looking for a win and we might see a game of football next weekend.

13 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

However bad the referee was and however negative Burton were, to have 75% of possession and only have 4 shots on target all night clearly shows that somewhere along the line there was/is a problem.

You couldn't criticise the midfield for their tackling or defending but the passing radar was shocking all night and the introduction of Pack never improved things one iota, it never helped that Reid fell into the same category his passing was abysmal, they were slow, predictable and laboured and quickly ran out of ideas and more often than not picked the wrong pass especially when players were in dangerous positions and unmarked.

But at least we never lost.

Yep, spot on. For me it was as if the first 20 mins made it look as though it was going to be straight forward, then we fell into the trap of flicks and too clever first time taps. When they didn't come off we never got back to holding the ball and moving a pace.  Not enough shots from the edge of the box, Pack late on showed what should have been tried earlier. We really need to work on breaking sides like this down. I thought Millwall were excellent in doing a number on us and Burton (with help from a poor Ref) also did a job. There are echoes of last year when we came back from the International break and lost, and lost, and lost..... you get the gist . Saturday is a bigger game than ever now, win and we can be off again. Lose , and last year will loom large. I think we are a different side from last year , but it's human nature for THAT run to be in the back of peoples minds.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed but as Millwall and Burton proved we run out of ideas very quickly when pitched against such tactics.

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Funny how we all see things differently.  To my mind, Brownhill was the only forward-minded player to have a good game.  Maybe, a shout for Bobby at a push too.

As Burton didn't try to play football , to my mind that game was crying out for us to play three at the back. 

They had 10-man defence - fine, then let's put an extra man in our attack.

At least we know Leeds will be looking for a win and we might see a game of football next weekend.

I don't think any forward player had anything approaching a good game, tried hard , but nothing came off and we ran out of ideas. I thought about going to a three, easily done with the players out there, but I think we missed Taylor coming off the bench. Might have helped having someone looking for gaps rather than Woodrow. With only FD as a real main striker I get why he was on the bench , and while I'm not Taylors biggest fan he is a willing runner. 
Also our wide men didn't stay wide. JB tried , but Leko was really frustrating and Eliasson wasn't on it while it's not Pattersons game. We needed people to get to the byline and get crosses in and it rarely happened. 
Still, 3rd eh? I'll take that for now , and as long as we can get something from 3 tough games (bonus win Vs Palace would be nice too) I'll be very happy.
Last year we know how it would go.

15 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think any forward player had anything approaching a good game, tried hard , but nothing came off and we ran out of ideas. I thought about going to a three, easily done with the players out there, but I think we missed Taylor coming off the bench. Might have helped having someone looking for gaps rather than Woodrow. With only FD as a real main striker I get why he was on the bench , and while I'm not Taylors biggest fan he is a willing runner. 
Also our wide men didn't stay wide. JB tried , but Leko was really frustrating and Eliasson wasn't on it while it's not Pattersons game. We needed people to get to the byline and get crosses in and it rarely happened. 
Still, 3rd eh? I'll take that for now , and as long as we can get something from 3 tough games (bonus win Vs Palace would be nice too) I'll be very happy.
Last year we know how it would go.

As I say, at least we will see actual football next weekend!

I thought Leko did at least try to be direct.  He's still got a lot to learn though.

Oh for Đurić to be on the bench, was my main thought last night.

I agree with most of the previous comments that the ref was against us, but I have to blame LJ for his Team selection as  I think we played virtually with 10 men all game as both Eliasson and Leco were nowhere men most of the time. IMO These two are good players but they should not start games but be brought on later when we are winning so they can gain experience in a winning position, and get up to speed, the same mistake was made with O'Dowda and Brownhill last year who now with experience of Championship football are up to scratch. (Chicken & Egg accepted) O'Dowda should have started. 

Re previous comments on midfield, I think we are in DIRE NEED of a scoring CM, both KS & MP should have made their GK make a save but their strikes were painfully off target.

13 minutes ago, flipflopcity said:

I agree with most of the previous comments that the ref was against us, but I have to blame LJ for his Team selection as  I think we played virtually with 10 men all game as both Eliasson and Leco were nowhere men most of the time. 

Re previous comments on midfield, I think we are in DIRE NEED of a scoring CM, both KS & MP should have made their GK make a save but their strikes were painfully off target.

Eliasson was disappointing and so was Leko when he came on. That said some credit has to go to Burton who stiffled all City's attacking players.

As for a golascoring midfielder - virtually every manager is after that type of player but they are few and far between. The Lampard and Gerrards of  Championship quality just aren't available.

don't think it was a question of individual players disappointing more of the final ball, whether from open play or set piece being disappointing, whomever delivered and that was the frustrating part- plenty of opportunity, plenty of poor delivery.

Archived