IGNORED

Disallowed Goal - Highlights Judge For Yourself

Ian M

Sorry guys, I have been watching City for a very long time and just can't be arsed getting worked up about a game like that. We can get all high and mighty and self-righteous, but at the end of the day we could not break them down, and Burton gained a point. They have been on a bad run, and whilst not pretty, in fact pig ugly, it stopped the rot. I never enjoy watching teams play like that, but sometimes circumstances dictate that the end justifies the means. And I will maintain that if City did that and got a point at ManUre, nobody on here would complain.

4 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Well there were 5 subs so that is 2 and a half minutes. Add four head injuries at 1 minute each so that is 6 minutes without time wasting

and the number 7 who hurt his back and was laid out for a min or two. Also the LB/LM (?) that acted like his knee went and then was fine after a min delay. 

47 minutes ago, Packman said:

Fair enough, I was still fuming when writing it!! Ok so I hope burton go down but don’t go into liquidation, and I hope burtons goalkeepers wife has an affair with the milkman!!

Contrast the teams City lost £13 or so million last year, we made a small profit.

You are small fry in the Championship and doing brilliantly this season, but you are a massive club compared to us.

It is all about context and if we do gp down I guarantee we will have a business plan that ensures we do not go into liquidation, in fact we will probably makes a small loss followed by a small profit.

Cant help thinking that the refs performance was no accident, right from the start very pally with the burton players, flawed decisions In every area, ignoring most of burtons fouls, time wasting and rewarding persistent diving

I would hate to think I could be right, but was his attitude down to an EFL directive? Can’t imagine such a poor display was an accident from a referee at this level!

And yes watching the goal, definately no foul - we had the EFL apologies last season for bad officials, if the EFL was not influencing this game the man in the middle should be sidelined forever!

Felt like there were 12 people on the pitch that weren't interested in a game of football. Fair enough to Burton they had a plan and it worked, the ref on the other hand should at least be consistent and fair and encourage a game of football (by that i mean apply the rules so that obvious faining of injuries and time waisting is addressed quickly, efficiently and professionally).

Ref was diabolical, but he did get the penalty decision right in my view..  Goal should never have been disallowed though.

Burton wasted time and feigned injury all night.  Never seen so many players rolling around on the floor and getting away with it.

Ref should be demoted 5 or 6 divisions, was really the worst I have seen in many years.  Ridiculously fussy about where the ball was placed for free kicks and got so many soft decisions wrong.  Should have been about 10 mins per half added for time wasting.

Can't blame Burton for parking the bus, but we really need to learn how to break down teams like this.

Fam was much too slow.  MOM for me was probably Joe though Flinty had a good game..  Defence rock solid, but they had nothing to really deal with. Match stats showed City had 75% posession, but didn't make the most of it and Burton had 0 corners and 0 shots on target.

We had plenty of crosses but won absolutely nothing from any of the crosses, corners or free kicks. We certainly need to learn how to win balls from crosses and cross towards our own target men.

Really needed a right back pushing forward in this game. BW is a good CB and can defend OK at RB, but the game was calling for a RB who could overlap.

Not the worst 0 - 0 draw I've seen but we really need to be more creative

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Spot on. Not an exaggeration to say the worst refereeing display by anyone in a very, very long time at The Gate. Weren't at our best, but totally ruined by an incompetent knob.

Burton naughty, but not sure i'd wish them that btw

Horrible shit team i know we are not gonna win every game but i hope they go down

2 hours ago, Chappers said:

Sorry guys, I have been watching City for a very long time and just can't be arsed getting worked up about a game like that. We can get all high and mighty and self-righteous, but at the end of the day we could not break them down, and Burton gained a point. They have been on a bad run, and whilst not pretty, in fact pig ugly, it stopped the rot. I never enjoy watching teams play like that, but sometimes circumstances dictate that the end justifies the means. And I will maintain that if City did that and got a point at ManUre, nobody on here would complain.

That would be true if they even attempted to play football. They didn't and their antics went beyond what is legal, but were approved of by the ***** in black.

Tonight I didn't see a football match.

If Burton had taken us on at football then they would've lost. There only chance was to do exactly as they did and it worked. The ref allowed them and even enabled them to do this. 

Burton won't be the only team who try this against us, especially when we don't seem to be able to unlock such a defence.

N.B. If you notice the ref, it's usually because he's crap

As the OP says, the recurring theme for us now is an inability to break down teams who come to Ashton Gate and park the bus. But in reality we are not alone in that.

And In fairness, i've never seen a team come and be quite as negative, rightly or wrongly, as Burton did last night. When was the last time we had 75% possession? I saw stats that in their last 3 or so games Burton had averaged possession in the 30% range, last night they went a step lower to secure their point. I presume Clough wants to 0-0 his way to safety.

So looking from another angle, although it's a very frustrating result, we looked comfortable all night in terms of possession and defending, that was with quite a few of our players looking out of sorts. We know that anyone can get a result against anyone in this division, as struggling Birmingham proved last night beating Cardiff.

For me, last night showed again why i'd be making signing a strong creative midfielder top priority in Jan. Pack has done well this season, but him 'running the show' from the middle in the last 20 minutes was not going to cut the mustard, IMO. 

That's a major missing piece of our puzzle. 

23 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

As the OP says, the recurring theme for us now is an inability to break down teams who come to Ashton Gate and park the bus. But in reality we are not alone in that.

And In fairness, i've never seen a team come and be quite as negative, rightly or wrongly, as Burton did last night. When was the last time we had 75% possession? I saw stats that in their last 3 or so games Burton had averaged possession in the 30% range, last night they went a step lower to secure their point. I presume Clough wants to 0-0 his way to safety.

So looking from another angle, although it's a very frustrating result, we looked comfortable all night in terms of possession and defending, that was with quite a few of our players looking out of sorts. We know that anyone can get a result against anyone in this division, as struggling Birmingham proved last night beating Cardiff.

For me, last night showed again why i'd be making signing a strong creative midfielder top priority in Jan. Pack has done well this season, but him 'running the show' from the middle in the last 20 minutes was not going to cut the mustard, IMO. 

Pack was awful, most definitely not the man to pass to if you're trying to break down the opposition's defence, Can't blame Burton in any way for playing as they did, by far the smallest budget in the division with home crowds of just 4000 they do well just to compete, talking of missing jigsaw pieces I would love us to put in a bid for the Sheff' Weds midfielder who was so impressive for them at AG last season, (can't think of his name)

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Has been for years now!

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Pack was awful, most definitely not the man to pass to if you're trying to break down the opposition's defence, Can't blame Burton in any way for playing as they did, by far the smallest budget in the division with home crowds of just 4000 they do well just to compete, talking of missing jigsaw pieces I would love us to put in a bid for the Sheff' Weds midfielder who was so impressive for them at AG last season, (can't think of his name)

Barry Bannan?? Yes he would be class for us, I think we should have gone all out for jota tho from Brentford but we didn’t. Not sure Wednesday would allow bannan to leave.

10 hours ago, Chappers said:

We couldn’t break them down??? We did break them down and had a perfectly good goal disallowed again, just like last season against burton. How does being robbed by a decision like that not even slightly annoy you?? I was fuming when I saw the highlights.

10 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

Well there were 5 subs so that is 2 and a half minutes. Add four head injuries at 1 minute each so that is 6 minutes without time wasting

There were 4 minutes added. Maybe you over guestimate the head injuries. 

Time doesn't get added on generally for time wasting, unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

All good points Alessandro IMO. Possession only counts if you score and despite really bossing possession we did not create a truck load of excellent scoring chances, nor did their keeper pull off a string of brilliant saves. Conclusion: we lacked the resources / ability / tactics to overcome a team who parked the bus, there was a general lack of quality, spark, urgency. We saw the same against Millwall and Bolton (altough in that game we did manage a way through) Solution: a really clever, imaginative, creative midfielder who has the right mentality for our DNA e.g. not anyone like Tomlin!

Finally, the disallowed goal. At the time and having watched the replays I genuinely can see nothing in Brownhills challenge to suggest a foul. That counts for nothing however as the ref thought otherwise!

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

There were 4 minutes added. Maybe you over guestimate the head injuries. 

Time doesn't get added on generally for time wasting, unfortunately. 

It was a goal. Defender falls over himself and plays it through to Bobby. Robbed again against the non league club. 

12 hours ago, Chappers said:

if we were away to a top Premiership side, we'd applaud City for playing like that.

12 hours ago, Big Red Rich said:

If that was us away at Spurs for example I'd be delighted. 

11 hours ago, Chappers said:

And I will maintain that if City did that and got a point at ManUre, nobody on here would complain.

What poor arguments.

This wasn't a cup match between a plucky non-league team and a top Prem side; it was two teams of Championship quality supposedly competing against each other in October - just 12 games into the season. Arguments about how City would set out to perform against ManU or Spurs are completely facile and redundant when discussing a meeting of peers.

What I am sure of is that City would not resort to such downright, blatant cheating.

That Clough could send his team out to perform in such a way (a plan which presumably was hatched during their recent "team bonding" break in the sun") is all that is wrong in football and is not worthy of people defending their approach.

Last season, I was pleased that Burton stayed up. No more. I hope that they are relegated before Easter.

2 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

What poor arguments.

This wasn't a cup match between a plucky non-league team and a top Prem side; it was two teams of Championship quality supposedly competing against each other in October - just 12 games into the season. Arguments about how City would set out to perform against ManU or Spurs are completely facile and redundant when discussing a meeting of peers.

What I am sure of is that City would not resort to such downright, blatant cheating.

That Clough could send his team out to perform in such a way (a plan which presumably was hatched during their recent "team bonding" break in the sun") is all that is wrong in football and is not worthy of people defending their approach.

Last season, I was pleased that Burton stayed up. No more. I hope that they are relegated before Easter.

Well said, Mr H.

I can't applaud cheating. That goes beyond "gamesmanship".

If City played that sort of negative shit then I'd give up my season ticket.  

I pay to watch football.  If I'd wanted to see diving I'd go to the swimming pool.

• Admin

The ref put himself into a planted position where his view was blocked by another Burton player. At best he guessed whether it was a foul or not. That will be a big two points dropped when we look back at the end of the season. Unfortunately the EFL has no system for cashing in apology letters.

goal.jpg

Definitely a goal, wrong wrong wrong wrong decision.

Defence..very deep. To be expected.. Some cynical play. Perhaps to be expected too.

Ref allowing them to get away with it though... Disgrace tbh. Cardiff lost at Birmingham, had that goal been rightfully allowed we would have been one point off Cardiff and up into 2nd.

Had it been allowed I think we would have won by 2 or 3.

I thought the ref was diabolical last night but just a thought on the added time of 4 mins. What would we be saying if he played 6mins extra and they scored in the last minute? We would say they benefited from their time wasting. I don't think we would have broke them down if we had played another 15mins. To me the answer to time wasting is for the ref to be stronger and issue a yellow card but they are too weak or under instructions not to.  I just wonder why the ref was so particular about the ball position for free kicks but allowed them to make about 5-10 yards on throw ins. Who would be a ref today?

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

What poor arguments.

Totally agree RH, it was anti-football at it`s finest. I thought Colin`s Rotherham could never be surpassed but that shower managed it last night.

Archived