Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Ian M

Disallowed Goal - Highlights Judge For Yourself

Agree. Think ref has responded to all the arms that go up, rather than watching what has happened. Think he got played all night.

Josh played the ball and in so doing ran into the man who should get an Oscar for the acting. We had the impetus going forward, if there was any doubt  the advantage should have gone our way. What a **it ref/linesman.

• Like 1

The ref was a disgrace, couldn’t wait to give them free kicks for the whole game. And gave the ball back to burton keeper when their defender pretended to hurt his head even tho we had possession. Hope burton go down and go into liquidation, joke of a club boring negative cheating w*****s.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Packman said:

The ref was a disgrace, couldn’t wait to give them free kicks for the whole game. And gave the ball back to burton keeper when their defender pretended to hurt his head even tho we had possession. Hope burton go down and go into liquidation, joke of a club boring negative cheating w*****s.

Spot on. Not an exaggeration to say the worst refereeing display by anyone in a very, very long time at The Gate. Weren't at our best, but totally ruined by an incompetent knob.

Burton naughty, but not sure i'd wish them that btw

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3

If I was locked in a room with that ref now, I'd decorate the walls with his insides!  Furious...

Should never have been disallowed. 

FA - WE WANT OUR EXTRA 2 POINTS!

I feel sorry for the Burton fans tbh, no wonder they only managed to bring 100 or so and fair play to them. I certainly wouldn’t pay money to watch my team just sit back, waste time, feign injuries and cheat from start to finish. I had an ounce of respect for burton last season but that’s all gone now!! The goalkeeper (what a **** btw) celebrating in front of the city fans like he’d one the champions league was one of the most embarrassing things I’ve ever seen, hilarious.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Packman said:

Come on Packman, I'm pissed right off by this evening too (and wonder what Brian would make of Nigel's- ahem- pragmatism) but you can't wish liquidation on a club like Burton just because they've done a job on us to get their point tonight.

Save that for the gas and cardiff imo!

Edited by Stortz

1 minute ago, Stortz said:

Come on Packman, I'm pissed right off by tonight too (and wonder what Brian would make of Nigel's- ahem- pragmatism) but you can't wish liquidation on a club like Burton just because they've done a job on us to get their point tonight.

Save that for the gas and cardiff imo!

Fair enough, I was still fuming when writing it!! Ok so I hope burton go down but don’t go into liquidation, and I hope burtons goalkeepers wife has an affair with the milkman!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A small club, way out of its comfort zone with little money to be competitive. Who can blame them, they got a point away to an in-form team. Ref was not great, but equally we committed some very stupid fouls in their half. Tactically they did what they had to, and if we were away to a top Premiership side, we'd applaud City for playing like that.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

A small club, way out of its comfort zone with little money to be competitive. Who can blame them, they got a point away to an in-form team. Ref was not great, but equally we committed some very stupid fouls in their half. Tactically they did what they had to, and if we were away to a top Premiership side, we'd applaud City for playing like that.

Football speak for... they fell over a lot

• Like 1

Didn't look like anything wrong with the goal from the replay so disappointing. Couidnt go tonight but can't really blame their approach - they are doing amazing just to compete at this level so fair play. 

I’ve had a long week at work, two decent sized whiskies, and I’ve only watched those highlights...but ******* hell we’re fun to watch when attacking.

Roll on Fulham away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Football speak for... they fell over a lot

When they were in the corners and struggling to clear, on a few occasions our attackers committed some stupid and obvious fouls.

But i hasten to add our failure to win tonight wasn't just the referee. They parked the bus and achieved what they set out to. If that was us away at Spurs for example I'd be delighted. 

Just now, Chappers said:

When they were in the corners and struggling to clear, on a few occasions our attackers committed some stupid and obvious fouls.

A man has to breathe  :laugh:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

But i hasten to add our failure to win tonight wasn't just the referee. They parked the bus and achieved what they set out to. If that was us away at Spurs for example I'd be delighted. 

When do we play Spurs. I think i missed this one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I BELIEVE said:

That decision is a scandal but what is even more of a scandal was the decision to add only 4 minutes on at the end

Why? What actual stoppages were there? 

11 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I would never applaud city if they played like that, I wouldn’t pay money to watch them if that’s how they decided football should be played!! Burton were a disgrace, nothing wrong with defending but cheating on the other hand!! Unfortunately we had a referee who fell for everything they did.

• Like 1

Terrible decision by the ref to give a foul, but pretty typical of tonight's game - Burton player falls over at the merest touch, ref gives free kick.

• Like 1

Their goalkeeper was wasting time from about the 6 minute mark. EVERY time he had the ball the ref had to wave his arms at him to hurry up. Surely after about 10 such occasions, the refs arms must have been getting tired and a booking would have been in order to stop it. Perhaps he just likes having the piss taken out of him.

Edited by Kingswood Robin
  • Like 1

Sorry guys, I have been watching City for a very long time and just can't be arsed getting worked up about a game like that. We can get all high and mighty and self-righteous, but at the end of the day we could not break them down, and Burton gained a point. They have been on a bad run, and whilst not pretty, in fact pig ugly, it stopped the rot. I never enjoy watching teams play like that, but sometimes circumstances dictate that the end justifies the means. And I will maintain that if City did that and got a point at ManUre, nobody on here would complain.

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why? What actual stoppages were there? 

Well there were 5 subs so that is 2 and a half minutes. Add four head injuries at 1 minute each so that is 6 minutes without time wasting

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Well there were 5 subs so that is 2 and a half minutes. Add four head injuries at 1 minute each so that is 6 minutes without time wasting

and the number 7 who hurt his back and was laid out for a min or two. Also the LB/LM (?) that acted like his knee went and then was fine after a min delay. 

47 minutes ago, Packman said:

Fair enough, I was still fuming when writing it!! Ok so I hope burton go down but don’t go into liquidation, and I hope burtons goalkeepers wife has an affair with the milkman!!

Contrast the teams City lost £13 or so million last year, we made a small profit.

You are small fry in the Championship and doing brilliantly this season, but you are a massive club compared to us.

It is all about context and if we do gp down I guarantee we will have a business plan that ensures we do not go into liquidation, in fact we will probably makes a small loss followed by a small profit.

Edited by Ian McGibbon

Cant help thinking that the refs performance was no accident, right from the start very pally with the burton players, flawed decisions In every area, ignoring most of burtons fouls, time wasting and rewarding persistent diving

I would hate to think I could be right, but was his attitude down to an EFL directive? Can’t imagine such a poor display was an accident from a referee at this level!

And yes watching the goal, definately no foul - we had the EFL apologies last season for bad officials, if the EFL was not influencing this game the man in the middle should be sidelined forever!

Felt like there were 12 people on the pitch that weren't interested in a game of football. Fair enough to Burton they had a plan and it worked, the ref on the other hand should at least be consistent and fair and encourage a game of football (by that i mean apply the rules so that obvious faining of injuries and time waisting is addressed quickly, efficiently and professionally).

Ref was diabolical, but he did get the penalty decision right in my view..  Goal should never have been disallowed though.

Burton wasted time and feigned injury all night.  Never seen so many players rolling around on the floor and getting away with it.

Ref should be demoted 5 or 6 divisions, was really the worst I have seen in many years.  Ridiculously fussy about where the ball was placed for free kicks and got so many soft decisions wrong.  Should have been about 10 mins per half added for time wasting.

Can't blame Burton for parking the bus, but we really need to learn how to break down teams like this.

Fam was much too slow.  MOM for me was probably Joe though Flinty had a good game..  Defence rock solid, but they had nothing to really deal with. Match stats showed City had 75% posession, but didn't make the most of it and Burton had 0 corners and 0 shots on target.

We had plenty of crosses but won absolutely nothing from any of the crosses, corners or free kicks. We certainly need to learn how to win balls from crosses and cross towards our own target men.

Really needed a right back pushing forward in this game. BW is a good CB and can defend OK at RB, but the game was calling for a RB who could overlap.

Not the worst 0 - 0 draw I've seen but we really need to be more creative

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Red Rich said:

James Linington. What do we expect? Man is a sad excuse of a referee and would be laughed at refereeing a Downs League match..

But you know as well as I that he'll get a game next week and tonight will be forgotten and therein lies the problem :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Spot on. Not an exaggeration to say the worst refereeing display by anyone in a very, very long time at The Gate. Weren't at our best, but totally ruined by an incompetent knob.

Burton naughty, but not sure i'd wish them that btw

Horrible shit team i know we are not gonna win every game but i hope they go down

Edited by RobintheRed Red

2 hours ago, Chappers said:

Sorry guys, I have been watching City for a very long time and just can't be arsed getting worked up about a game like that. We can get all high and mighty and self-righteous, but at the end of the day we could not break them down, and Burton gained a point. They have been on a bad run, and whilst not pretty, in fact pig ugly, it stopped the rot. I never enjoy watching teams play like that, but sometimes circumstances dictate that the end justifies the means. And I will maintain that if City did that and got a point at ManUre, nobody on here would complain.

That would be true if they even attempted to play football. They didn't and their antics went beyond what is legal, but were approved of by the ***** in black.

Tonight I didn't see a football match.

• Like 4

If Burton had taken us on at football then they would've lost. There only chance was to do exactly as they did and it worked. The ref allowed them and even enabled them to do this. 

Burton won't be the only team who try this against us, especially when we don't seem to be able to unlock such a defence.

N.B. If you notice the ref, it's usually because he's crap

• Like 2

As the OP says, the recurring theme for us now is an inability to break down teams who come to Ashton Gate and park the bus. But in reality we are not alone in that.

And In fairness, i've never seen a team come and be quite as negative, rightly or wrongly, as Burton did last night. When was the last time we had 75% possession? I saw stats that in their last 3 or so games Burton had averaged possession in the 30% range, last night they went a step lower to secure their point. I presume Clough wants to 0-0 his way to safety.

So looking from another angle, although it's a very frustrating result, we looked comfortable all night in terms of possession and defending, that was with quite a few of our players looking out of sorts. We know that anyone can get a result against anyone in this division, as struggling Birmingham proved last night beating Cardiff.

For me, last night showed again why i'd be making signing a strong creative midfielder top priority in Jan. Pack has done well this season, but him 'running the show' from the middle in the last 20 minutes was not going to cut the mustard, IMO. 

That's a major missing piece of our puzzle. 

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

As the OP says, the recurring theme for us now is an inability to break down teams who come to Ashton Gate and park the bus. But in reality we are not alone in that.

And In fairness, i've never seen a team come and be quite as negative, rightly or wrongly, as Burton did last night. When was the last time we had 75% possession? I saw stats that in their last 3 or so games Burton had averaged possession in the 30% range, last night they went a step lower to secure their point. I presume Clough wants to 0-0 his way to safety.

So looking from another angle, although it's a very frustrating result, we looked comfortable all night in terms of possession and defending, that was with quite a few of our players looking out of sorts. We know that anyone can get a result against anyone in this division, as struggling Birmingham proved last night beating Cardiff.

For me, last night showed again why i'd be making signing a strong creative midfielder top priority in Jan. Pack has done well this season, but him 'running the show' from the middle in the last 20 minutes was not going to cut the mustard, IMO. 

Pack was awful, most definitely not the man to pass to if you're trying to break down the opposition's defence, Can't blame Burton in any way for playing as they did, by far the smallest budget in the division with home crowds of just 4000 they do well just to compete, talking of missing jigsaw pieces I would love us to put in a bid for the Sheff' Weds midfielder who was so impressive for them at AG last season, (can't think of his name)

I’m usually a defender of referees, but to me Brownhill was just stronger than the defender. The referee had just played an advantage to us and instead of getting closer to the play he seemed to stop and watch from 25 yards away.

He needed to be closer imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Has been for years now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Pack was awful, most definitely not the man to pass to if you're trying to break down the opposition's defence, Can't blame Burton in any way for playing as they did, by far the smallest budget in the division with home crowds of just 4000 they do well just to compete, talking of missing jigsaw pieces I would love us to put in a bid for the Sheff' Weds midfielder who was so impressive for them at AG last season, (can't think of his name)

Barry Bannan?? Yes he would be class for us, I think we should have gone all out for jota tho from Brentford but we didn’t. Not sure Wednesday would allow bannan to leave.

10 hours ago, Chappers said:

We couldn’t break them down??? We did break them down and had a perfectly good goal disallowed again, just like last season against burton. How does being robbed by a decision like that not even slightly annoy you?? I was fuming when I saw the highlights.

8 minutes ago, Packman said:

Barry Bannan?? Yes he would be class for us, I think we should have gone all out for jota tho from Brentford but we didn’t. Not sure Wednesday would allow bannan to leave.

That's him, he wasn't starting earlier in the season