IGNORED

Ignoring the ref...

Silvio Dante

And yes, it was a goal that shouldn't have been disallowed.

However, for 90 minutes of football we had 75% possession. In all that, we worked their keeper seriously what, once, twice?

If we are going to be in the top six, and I said this after the Bolton game, teams will come and sit. Tonight, we didn't break Burton down and love or hate their tactics, they deserved the point for that. I actually think we'll get more from Leeds as they'll come out, but without a shadow of a doubt, we need to look at our lack of penetration and solve it against teams that come to defend. It was there against Bolton, it was there today.

We're doing great this year. But the black spot is when a team sits against us and we need to combat that, asap.

We have to accept that this is how it's going to be. The national team have found themselves in a very similar situation. Yeah it's anti-football, but these smaller clubs are in a dog-fight, if they came and tried to outplay us, they'd get thumped. Like it or not, this is the challenge. Not enough craft or guile in midfield I'm afraid.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Totally agree. At half time I checked to see if MT was on the bench and was disappointed he wasn't as his dragging players out of position and creating gaps was absolutely what we needed tonight

not a moan at him but why didn't johnson see that aswell? 

11 minutes ago, WesM said:

We have to accept that this is how it's going to be. The national team have found themselves in a very similar situation. Yeah it's anti-football, but these smaller clubs are in a dog-fight, if they came and tried to outplay us, they'd get thumped. Like it or not, this is the challenge. Not enough craft or guile in midfield I'm afraid.

How dare you compare us to that pile of shite..!!

39 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Totally agree. At half time I checked to see if MT was on the bench and was disappointed he wasn't as his dragging players out of position and creating gaps was absolutely what we needed tonight

He's injured. That's  why he wasn't in the squad.

Can’t ignore the ref- Reid was bullied constantly, almost every time his marker went to ground the ref gave a foul against him - had that been honest decisions we would have seen Reid booked before HT and he would have seen red after the restart - total crap and there should be an official complaint lodged over his conduct

7 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

However, for 90 minutes of football we had 75% possession. In all that, we worked their keeper seriously what, once, twice?

If we are going to be in the top six, and I said this after the Bolton game, teams will come and sit. Tonight, we didn't break Burton down and love or hate their tactics, they deserved the point for that. I actually think we'll get more from Leeds as they'll come out, but without a shadow of a doubt, we need to look at our lack of penetration and solve it against teams that come to defend. It was there against Bolton, it was there today.

We're doing great this year. But the black spot is when a team sits against us and we need to combat that, asap.

Many it seems didn't like the way Burton "played" seems they played to get what they came for and succeeded. Its more or less a repeat of the last time they visited so we or LJ should not be surprised, more worrying is we should have had a plan to deal with it.

Much tougher tests to come over the coming weeks against probably as more, "professional" and savy teams, they will test us and we will see just how far LJ and our team/squad has come....since...about this time last season.

The game reminded me of recent England internationals, and City experienced the same difficulties that England have recently.  In a game like this you need a bit of luck and we had none at all, and the referee only added to our problems.  Burton defended incredibly effectively and despite their negative attitude and appalling timewasting, deserve credit for that.  What they set out to do was very unusual at this level; even Millwall and Bolton, who had a similar game plan had some attacking ambition.  I am struggling to think of another game quite like it and can only recall cup matches with lower division opposition.  Yes, City failed too find the way through but I wouldn’t be too despondent.  There won’t be many matches like this one.

The injury to Korey Smith didn’t help.  Not only did it disrupt the midfield, but it took away a substitution that we might have used to our advantage in the second half.  Eliason was very very poor and might have been replaced by O’Dowda or Leko at half time.

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

They will do it all the more now-both Burton & Millwall shut us out with little problem by killing the game,and it will have been noted that we don't deal with it...

Would play Taylor v teams that come to 'shut up shop.

27 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

They will do it all the more now-both Burton & Millwall shut us out with little problem by killing the game,and it will have been noted that we don't deal with it...

Would play Taylor v teams that come to 'shut up shop.

Could we not, let them have the ball and give them more space (after all we have a good defence don't we) then have them, while they are more spread out and not so condensed. Piling the pressure on does not always work, hit them in short sharp shocks; ala police smashing a door in. :dunno: 

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I disagree that they "deserve a point".

I expect such teams to "park the bus" - no problem there.

What I don't expect is players to throw themselves to the ground, writhing, every time we get into a dangerous position. 

That isn't a tactic. It's cheating pure and simple. 

You can't take the ref out of the equation.  Had he not been happy to collude with this, we'd have actually seen a game of football and - given our dominance - the ball would almost certainly have been in the net more than once.

It might not take a genius to realise that when a Burton's player goes down "fouled" for about the 30th time, that there is a lot of simulation involved. A simple yellow would gave stopped this and allowed the 18,000 of us to watch a football match instead of a bad am dram production.

Instead the farce was green-lighted by Linnington.  You can tell he knew these "injuries" weren't serious. Their physio wasn't waved on and even the guy clutching his head wasn't required  to go off to get treatment.  No City players were booked for these alleged persistent  "fouls".

He didn't even add the time wasted by these tactics on.  What a farce having 5 minutes of extra time in the first but only playing about two of it, as the clock was allowed to run on during Korey's injury and substitution. 

This may all sound like sour grapes, but it isn't.  I abhorr cheating. We rely on referees to stop matches degenerating into farces like last night. 

If football is "played" like it was then all the time, I'd never bother to watch it.

No wonder only 78 Burton's fans turned up.

I thought we played into their hands in the first half, and played too much in our own half. 

It was obvious from minute one that they offered no offensive threat whatsoever so we should have been forcing the game up the pitch. 

That being said, for all their antics, they were organised and effective defensively. 

I said after Bolton that we are much better against sides who want a game of football than sides that want to let us have as much of the ball as possible. Luckily there are more of the former than the latter in this league but we need to work on our ability to deal with this sort of side. 

However it must be said that you simply can't ignore that refereeing performance. I've never seen anything quite as shambolic. It's hard enough playing when they have 11 men behind the ball, but 12?

Archived