IGNORED

Burton, Milwall and Bolton

Hartleysbeard

Our performances and results against these sides show a lack of ability in breaking down stubborn, compact defences.  It’s something that better teams are much more adept at doing, and will be the difference come the end of the season. We have to work out a way to move the ball better and draw out defenders to create space in these games.

Ok, we beat Bolton but what an ugly game of football and we huffed and puffed through that one and got a bit of luck, especially with the sending off. 

8 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Our performances and results against these sides show a lack of ability in breaking down stubborn, compact defences.  It’s something that better teams are much more adept at doing, and will be the difference come the end of the season. We have to work out a way to move the ball better and draw out defenders to create space in these games.

Ok, we beat Bolton but what an ugly game of football and we huffed and puffed through that one and got a bit of luck, especially with the sending off. 

I agree. We're not good enough at breaking down teams who sit in. But don't forget how far we have come, we're not the finished article, and I'll be surprised if we are still sitting in playoffs come the end of the season. 

But if there was ever a sign of how far we have come, it's teams coming to AG and refusing to play and going home delighted with a point. As much as it is frustrating to watch, take it as a compliment. 

I don't think we are ready for a play off/ promotion push? We're a good team, no doubt, but still have a bit of building to do.

I just hope fans don't forget last season, to where we appear to be now. It's a massive difference. We're 12 unbeaten and 3rd in the table, but after last night, people were moaning like ****. Last time out at Ipswich, Diedhiou was class, but after last night "he's shit". Just calm down and see the bigger picture. 

Yes last night was frustrating, but we are 12 unbeaten, we are 3rd in the table. And after last season, I'm delighted at where we are.

Onto Leeds,

Up the City x

Burton, Millwall and....         Bolton? Yeah why not chuck in a team we beat without a great deal of trouble to boost your argument.

My God we have come a long way, from "I can't see where the next goal nevermind win is coming from to...  Why can't we beat EVERYONE?"

AppyDAZE

When we are in this position against a solid defence, that shuts down chances to get players or the ball into the box, I don't understand why we don't just take more shots from outside the box.  With Fam and Bobby hanging around in the box we are more likely to either pick up a deflection or a rebounded ball.  I saw very few decent shots from outside the box yesterday, which was disappointing.

What other tactics are there for breaking down this kind of defence?

I wonder whether we need to think about making the pitch wider when we coming up against teams like this.

Narrowing the pitch suits our pressing game, but where teams just sit back and get 10 men behind the ball the pressing game is negated. A wider pitch gives more room for players  like O'Dowda and Leko,, who can go past defenders, and could make a difference.

I think the last 20 last night was crying out for 3-4-3 with Flint being moved up - taking off Diedhiou for Woodrow.

Ugly tactic but with Reid, Woodrow, Patterson and what would have been Brownhill all buzzing around any knock down we may have nicked it.

As said tailor made for Đurić but Flint a decent option in his absence.

edit - mint that the forum puts the thingy majiggy above the c on Đurić !!

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I wonder whether we need to think about making the pitch wider when we coming up against teams like this.

Narrowing the pitch suits our pressing game, but where teams just sit back and get 10 men behind the ball the pressing game is negated. A wider pitch gives more room for players  like O'Dowda and Leko,, who can go past defenders, and could make a difference.

You can't change the pitch size for specific games once you've submitted your pitch details to the EFL.

11 minutes ago, spyder66 said:

When we are in this position against a solid defence, that shuts down chances to get players or the ball into the box, I don't understand why we don't just take more shots from outside the box.  With Fam and Bobby hanging around in the box we are more likely to either pick up a deflection or a rebounded ball.  I saw very few decent shots from outside the box yesterday, which was disappointing.

What other tactics are there for breaking down this kind of defence?

It's not so much tactics, it's that extra little bit of quality teams like Wolves have when they chuck £18m at a player!!

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Wasnt a plan B last night when plan A failed. Disappointing performance but not the end of the world.

LJ said post match that Đurić would have been ideal and that he considered putting Flint up top but was worried about Burton doing a "smash and grab".

All but two City outfield players weren't at their best last night. A combination of Burtons frustrating tactics and a inept referee didn't help.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ said post match that Đurić would have been ideal and that he considered putting Flint up top but was worried about Burton doing a "smash and grab".

All but two City outfield players weren't at their best last night. A combination of Burtons frustrating tactics and a inept referee didn't help.

He should have stuck Flint up front, Wright CB and Brownhill RB then in my opinion.

We werent going to pass through them so the situation was ideal for a smash it up to the big un and get Reid/Paterson/Woodrow etc around him.

21 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

You can't change the pitch size for specific games once you've submitted your pitch details to the EFL.

Need another plan B then! :)

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

I agree. We're not good enough at breaking down teams who sit in. But don't forget how far we have come, we're not the finished article, and I'll be surprised if we are still sitting in playoffs come the end of the season. 

But if there was ever a sign of how far we have come, it's teams coming to AG and refusing to play and going home delighted with a point. As much as it is frustrating to watch, take it as a compliment. 

I don't think we are ready for a play off/ promotion push? We're a good team, no doubt, but still have a bit of building to do.

I just hope fans don't forget last season, to where we appear to be now. It's a massive difference. We're 12 unbeaten and 3rd in the table, but after last night, people were moaning like ****. Last time out at Ipswich, Diedhiou was class, but after last night "he's shit". Just calm down and see the bigger picture. 

Yes last night was frustrating, but we are 12 unbeaten, we are 3rd in the table. And after last season, I'm delighted at where we are.

Onto Leeds,

Up the City x

Spot on. Not perfect but a a young team who've taken serious strides forward in less than 12 months. 

When Pack replaced Smith I thought the injury might turn out to help us. MP often has a decent pass in him and I hoped that might help unlock their defence. Unfortunately he was woeful - most of his attempted long passes just gave the ball away. We really are missing a top class CM option for these sort of games.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I think the last 20 last night was crying out for 3-4-3 with Flint being moved up - taking off Diedhiou for Woodrow.

Ugly tactic but with Reid, Woodrow, Patterson and what would have been Brownhill all buzzing around any knock down we may have nicked it.

As said tailor made for Đurić but Flint a decent option in his absence.

edit - mint that the forum puts the thingy majiggy above the c on Đurić !!

Good point, but I think a change could have been made much earlier. When Smith went off just before half time Pack, as replacement, meant City stuck with the same formation.  It was obvious by then how Burton was going to play, so LJ could have waited till half time and switched to an attacking 3-5-2 formation. LJ as a manager is getting better but he still doesn’t seem to have the ability to make big changes when plan A isn’t working. Other managers can do this with ease. Much as I hate to say it, one reason Rovers are doing well is because Darrell Clarke is very flexible with  the team formation and tactics

2 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

Onto Leeds,

Up the City x

Burton celebrated like they'd beaten Man U

3 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

You can't always play sexy football.  Huffing & puffing is all part of being a successful side especially in this league.

Archived