IGNORED

High quality midfielder required in Jan

Top Robin

Look, I think Pack, Smith and Brownhill are really good central midfielders and with them we will probable be safe in the Championship for a while.

But I don't think that they quite have the quality to keep us in a play off spot or, dare I say it, an auto place so we could well finish mid table which would be a flop in my opinion from where we are now.

In January I really think we need to bring in an experienced, quality midfielder to ensure that that wont happen and give us a chance of at least a play off spot.

Someone similar to Barry Bannan who usually runs the show,  has experience, is comfortable on the ball, has good distribution and also tackles well.

We may have to splash the cash, but it may well be worth it.  

18 minutes ago, extonsred said:

...plus quality striker - maybe Đurić can step up but No idea where one which is affordable may be hidden!!

I don't think that should be a priority in January, personally. Reid and Diedhiou have 12(?) goals between them already, I think we need to prioritise creating more chances for them.

Happy to hold my hand up and admit I'm totally unaware of Barry Bannan, but that's the second time in a few hours I've seen his name mentioned. I think the other was a quote from LJ saying he admired him? So at least if that's true we are aware of what we need and the type of quality and no doubt behind the scenes things are happening.

Think LJ ****** up not starting Marlon. By far our most creative midfielder , we probably would of opened them up more first half with him in the team and he seemed to try and force things second half . Minor gripe in a very good start too the season. We will get many more sides coming to park the bus though so I agree we could with buying a bit more creativity . 

I think we might be holding firm for now as that type of player will be expensive whereas we have a couple young central midfielders we hope may stake a claim soon. Joe Morrell from what I've seen could be a Bannan type player. He is small but assured on the ball and dictates the tempo well. Always wanting to receive it and move it often forward. I would agree we could use more quality there but not convinced they'll splash for one in January. 

I agree, I think we've needed a really top quality midfielder who can create goals and score a few for years.  The difficulty is we play with two forwards and two lightweight wingers, so he would need to be combative as well.  Sounds expensive, but if we're still in the mix in January, perhaps it's worth rolling the dice and spending some serious money to have a shot at the play-off's?  But then again, it's not my money. 

A top striker would also be excellent, but I'd agree that we have goals in us already and we haven't even seen Đurić and barely seen Taylor yet and we'd need to move someone on if we brought in another.  

To add to this I think it's important we don't lose anyone.  Flint showed last night how important he is for us and I am sure he'll be subject to numerous bids. 

All in all the best squad for as long as I can remember and a top midfielder would make a real difference.

16 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Think LJ ****** up not starting Marlon. By far our most creative midfielder , we probably would of opened them up more first half with him in the team and he seemed to try and force things second half . Minor gripe in a very good start too the season. We will get many more sides coming to park the bus though so I agree we could with buying a bit more creativity . 

Pack was shocking 2nd half his passing was terrible.

We’re about to find out how much Korey brings to our midfield.

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He never managed to open them up in the second half in fact he was as poor as all of the other midfielders for the time he was on the pitch, the midfield just like the Millwall game the midfield were slow and predictable all night and quickly ran out of ideas.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He never managed to open them up in the second half in fact he was as poor as all of the other midfielders for the time he was on the pitch, the midfield just like the Millwall game the midfield were slow and predictable all night and quickly ran out of ideas.

Not necesarily about ideas though is it. More to do with movement infront of them making an incisive pass more easy to find. 

Games like last night require a Đurić and more diagonal long passes to feed off knock downs. We just dont quite have that option until hes back fit. I reckon he’ll make the bench for Leeds. 

Last night, along with the Millwall game, itshowed very clearly why we'll probably finish mid table. We are so one dimensional if a side come to defend en masse. It's too easy to blame the ref last night but we did not play anything at pace from our back four to midfield. We certainly missed Korey in second half. I thought Brownhill looked a bit lost in first half and did voice an opinion that we should replace him with Pack. How wrong that proved as Pack slowed it down even more, running slowly sideways with the ball.

Eliasson did ok for me in first half and will improve but Leko looked like a kid in the park who isn't really interested. Perhaps thinks he's too good for us? Plus on that side Bailey Wright not good at going forward. Patterson also went sideways too often and we rarely ran directly at Burton's defenders to commit them to tackles or fouls.

Bobby and Fammy got zero service as a result, with a second half of nil shots on target apart from the non goal.

So yes, we need a really good quality midfield "tin opener" if we are to make any real impact on the top six. Could be Joe Morrell but probably not experienced enough even by start of next season.

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Look, I think Pack, Smith and Brownhill are really good central midfielders and with them we will probable be safe in the Championship for a while.

But I don't think that they quite have the quality to keep us in a play off spot or, dare I say it, an auto place so we could well finish mid table which would be a flop in my opinion from where we are now.

In January I really think we need to bring in an experienced, quality midfielder to ensure that that wont happen and give us a chance of at least a play off spot.

Someone similar to Barry Bannan who usually runs the show,  has experience, is comfortable on the ball, has good distribution and also tackles well.

It's very easy to say this after last night. But we are one of the top scorers in the league this season. Let's not get too carried away, scoring/ creating goals isn't a massive issue for us. 

Plus, you're talking of a "high quality" midfielder. They are very far and few between at this level, so you'll have to look at spending millions, which isn't our philosophy at the moment.

You'll be lucky to find an exceptional playmaking midfielder, who buys into the way we play. 

Like I said, scoring and creating goals haven't really been an issue, so no need to be spending millions on a midfielder after one game where creating chances was always going to be hard. 

I can see your point though, based off last night 

Up the City x

Yes...I agree we need some better quality in midfield, been saying that for a while now. LJ has alluded to it as well in recent months.

As for yesterdays game, I don't think it was our midfield that let us down.

Burton parked up in front of the 'D'...they had their defenders and then a bank of 3 CM who blocked any progress down the middle.

The International break allowed Burton extra time to make a plan of action, to stop us in our natural game.

It was our wider players that let us down yesterday. Burton needed to be pulled wide to create the space. We didn't.

I thought Elliasson was poor...looked very light weight. Easily tackled and blocked. Leko was even worse..head down, headless chicken stuff. Just kept running into trouble and losing the ball, or not looking up when a pass was on. Very school boy.

JB didn't influence as much, and we are missing Pissano with his link up play wide.

Our FB's and wide midfield should have been operating better together, influencing play. Instead we kept trying to go through the middle, which was full to capacity.

Without making excuses...on another day with a better ref, we would have won 1-0.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes...I agree we need some better quality in midfield, been saying that for a while now. LJ has alluded to it as well in recent months.

As for yesterdays game, I don't think it was our midfield that let us down.

Burton parked up in front of the 'D'...they had their defenders and then a bank of 3 CM who blocked any progress down the middle.

The International break allowed Burton extra time to make a plan of action, to stop us in our natural game.

It was our wider players that let us down yesterday. Burton needed to be pulled wide to create the space. We didn't.

I thought Elliasson was poor...looked very light weight. Easily tackled and blocked. Leko was even worse..head down, headless chicken stuff. Just kept running into trouble and losing the ball, or not looking up when a pass was on. Very school boy.

JB didn't influence as much, and we are missing Pissano with his link up play wide.

Our FB's and wide midfield should have been operating better together, influencing play. Instead we kept trying to go through the middle, which was full to capacity.

Without making excuses...on another day with a better ref, we would have won 1-0.

The crossing was horrendous last night. Just watched the highlights on the OS . And lekos cross at the end. Summed it up . 

28 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

I've been sat here this morning thinking we're crying out for someone in the Tinnion mould. A huge ask I know but with our increased revenue we have money to spend in Jan 

You've only just realised that? Been obvious all season. We've been poor against those lesser sides. 

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Happy to hold my hand up and admit I'm totally unaware of Barry Bannan, but that's the second time in a few hours I've seen his name mentioned. I think the other was a quote from LJ saying he admired him? So at least if that's true we are aware of what we need and the type of quality and no doubt behind the scenes things are happening.

Quality player albeit on the small side, makes Sheff Wed tick when he is on his game, 

3 hours ago, SODS_LAW said:

Pack was shocking 2nd half his passing was terrible.

We’re about to find out how much Korey brings to our midfield.

Yeah he wasn't great admittedly , think he was trying to force things and the middle of the park was congested , played into their hands really. I just think he would of been a better option from the start. You never know how any player is going to play but he's been pretty consistent this season. 

5 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Agree,we sure need a "playmaker" in the middle..

Though considering we only missed the trapdoor by three points last season I dont feel a mid-table finish would be a 'flop...far from it.

if anything it would represent a solid  response from all involved.

2 hours ago, RaspberryRed said:

Not just realised more the fact we seem so strong in all other positions that we could be not far off an exceptionally good side with said addition

Thank you. I always liked Ben Pringle, had some great games against us for various teams.  Not sure how he compares? Think he went to Preston a year or so ago. Possible, or not the right player for us?

Archived