IGNORED

High quality midfielder required in Jan

Top Robin

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

These type of posts make me smile.  It's as if we just have to pop down the shops and get out the credit card.

Who might this high quality midfielder be?  How much might he cost? and the key question, will he want to sign for us?

Not at all. That's why I'm saying there is work going on in the background and has been for months and months. 

Apparently this was addressed by LJ in some questions and answers talk, according to someone I chatted to on the bus the other week. 

What LJ said was getting this midfielder that everyone wants is not down to transfer fee as he said we could cover that. It’s the wages that a championship quality midfielder that we could not and won’t compete with. 

I know we would all love one, but to find one, talk him into playing for us and actually paying what they want is a step to far for us at the moment. 

Hopefully we will still be play off position come Jan, so maybe one might be tempted to join us. 

People need to be realistic regarding Burton.

The reason why we didn't even look like scoring especially in the 2nd half was because we didn't have the creativity to open themup....a bannan would have been perfect but he isn't coming to us in a million years.

As for our midfielders running sideways unfortunately when you've got a brick wall of 5 with 2 slightly in front you need something special to do it....all good just running forward but look what happened to leko he struggled.

What we needed was both Woodrow Reid or Matty Taylor dropping in and coming to collect the ball when pack or brownhill had it....thid would enable them to lay it off and play neat intricate football. Unfortunately Matty Taylor was injured I assume.

Either that or Đurić to hassle them but with that ref god knows how many could he would have conceeded.

Fact is we didn't look like scoring 30 mins onwards. That's football. But no point telling players just to run forward when you've got a wall of 7 players in the way....got to pass it around them with nest intricate football....either that or launch it but didn't have the personel for that yesterday.

32 minutes ago, RedM said:

Not at all. That's why I'm saying there is work going on in the background and has been for months and months. 

The declared transfer policy of the club is to identify and sign promising young players and improve them.  The implication in the thread title is we sign a marquee midfielder who is considerable better than we have at the moment.   This would be a knee jerk reaction to a problem of breaking down teams that come to AG to play for a draw.  IMO the way to overcome this problem is to continue to improve the players we have and tweak the tactical approach.  The margins are fine, refereeing decisions etc.   You don't, or at least shouldn't,  tear up the modus operandi of the club off the back of one result.

3 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Tinman now would still open up a defence more than our midfield. That's how weak we are in that area. 

Brian Tinnion is one of my favourite City players but it's worth remembering he played in the third tier for the vast majority of his career.

40 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ludicrous suggestion sorry - £120,000 a week says absolutely no chance.

He’d be of interest to the majority of prem teams if he was available.

I didn't say we could get him, just a cheeky bid.  If you don't ask. 

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Agree,we sure need a "playmaker" in the middle..

Though considering we only missed the trapdoor by three points last season I dont feel a mid-table finish would be a 'flop...far from it.

if anything it would represent a solid  response from all involved.

I agree with you that mid table would be a good stabilisation season after two nerve wracking scraps against relegation but if we are in the top six now and don't blow up, there must be a reasonable possibility that we can flirt with the play off positions right the way through.

There doesn't, at this moment anyway, appear to be two or three that are creating a gap at the top. Everyone, as always in the Championship, seems to be capable of nicking points off of all the others.

I do not believe that we have a squad yet that is anywhere near ready to take us up, but aiming for the top six whether we make it or not, will give the squad some valuable experience that will pay dividends in a season or two.

17 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

I agree Kiwi.......its not unknown for a Prem player in the twilight of his career to move to a lower league and a more attractive part of the country.

15 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think we could do with a midfielder to replace oneil as 4th option. Either in January or at the end of the season when his contract is up. But more than happy with Brownhill and Smith as our first team pairing. I think they have both looked superb this season. I think last night was more of a tactical problem that Johnson this time did not get right. 

No the midfield is weak patterson Brownhill smith only play one good game in three more creativity required

12 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I agree Kiwi.......its not unknown for a Prem player in the twilight of his career to move to a lower league and a more attractive part of the country.

And take a pay cut of at least £100k a week. Happens all the time. Or possibility not. :shifty:

49 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

You have to be on a wind up surely?

The fantasy signings are starting rather early for the January window this year it seems.

Let's pretend it's not ludicrous though. For all his admirable qualities, would anybody describe Milner as creative?

19 minutes ago, chinapig said:

The fantasy signings are starting rather early for the January window this year it seems.

Let's pretend it's not ludicrous though. For all his admirable qualities, would anybody describe Milner as creative?

He's more of a defensive winger in my book. How about the lad from Walsall who we were supposed to be interested in, I can't remember his name, little fella nicknamed the "Turkish Messi" ?

19 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

The crossing was horrendous last night. Just watched the highlights on the OS . And lekos cross at the end. Summed it up . 

Their big  back four were heading them away all night .

Apart from the dubious ' injuries ' with Burton players going down to interupt our play , I thought Burton defended very well.

They stood up to the onslaught and put their bodies in the way .

We needed quicker link up play in and around their penalty area but I felt Bobby and Fammy were too far apart , our two new wingers weren't on the same hymn sheet and our midfield were largely off colour .

A bad day at the office but still a point and another clean sheet .

On to Leeds . 

14 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

It’s a ridiculous suggestion - there’s absolutely no chance he’d a) come here or b) we’d afford his wages.

14 hours ago, Top Robin said:

He’s only 31! He’s probably got at least another 3 or 4 Prem seasons left in him. 

14 hours ago, Malago said:

The declared transfer policy of the club is to identify and sign promising young players and improve them.  The implication in the thread title is we sign a marquee midfielder who is considerable better than we have at the moment.   This would be a knee jerk reaction to a problem of breaking down teams that come to AG to play for a draw.  IMO the way to overcome this problem is to continue to improve the players we have and tweak the tactical approach.  The margins are fine, refereeing decisions etc.   You don't, or at least shouldn't,  tear up the modus operandi of the club off the back of one result.

Careful now. Talking sense does not play well with the regulars on here.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s a ridiculous suggestion - there’s absolutely no chance he’d a) come here or b) we’d afford his wages.

He’s only 31! He’s probably got at least another 3 or 4 Prem seasons left in him. 

But not playing.  

7 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

But not playing.  

Doesn’t mean he’s a possibility. If he moved on in January for example - half the premier league would want him and loads of clubs from abroad would too.

His wages at £120,000 a week should end the conversation before it’s got to this point really.

Despite my facetious earlier post, wasn't Tomlin supposed to be the answer? Remember too how we completely overwhelmed Tom Huddlestone, the epitome of the old style.

My point being that in the modern high tempo game the old style languid midfield general people seem to crave has been replaced by much more energetic creators.

The likes of De Bruyne, imo the best in the PL, are always on the move. He will be in front of the defence one minute, on the right wing the next, then turning up in the box. 

Finding a creative player with the all round qualities needed these days is a tall order.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Doesn’t mean he’s a possibility. If he moved on in January for example - half the premier league would want him and loads of clubs from abroad would too.

His wages at £120,000 a week should end the conversation before it’s got to this point really.

Perhaps if we offered him food vouchers and the 2 for 1 beer deal........?

Just now, chinapig said:

Despite my facetious earlier post, wasn't Tomlin supposed to be the answer? Remember too how we completely overwhelmed Tom Huddlestone, the epitome of the old style.

My point being that in the modern high tempo game the old style languid midfield general people seem to crave has been replaced by much more energetic creators.

The likes of De Bruyne, imo the best in the PL, are always on the move. He will be in front of the defence one minute, on the right wing the next, then turning up in the box. 

Finding a creative player with the all round qualities needed these days is a tall order.

I think you've hit the nail on the head China.

Our style of play needs to team to be creative as a whole, and this is achieved by energy, speed and movement. One of the reasons LT went is that his style of midfield play actually tends to slow things down.

Im not suggesting that we cannot upgrade on our current midfield, but I wold be surprised if we see a traditional midfield "general" coming in with the way lJ is trying to play now.

Archived