IGNORED

High quality midfielder required in Jan

Top Robin

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Andrew Surman is another player I've always rated. No idea if he's in the Bournemouth side at the mo or his contract situation though. He's definitely got an eye for a pass.

He`s played 7 full games this season so probably out of our league. OOC at the end of 2018/19 so they would probably want a fair fee.

Shame as he would be just the sort we need - maybe in a year`s time? He`ll be 32 then but if Bournemouth go down then I expect he`ll be just the type of player they`ll want to keep.

3 hours ago, pnefcok said:

He's not the right player for you.

He's simply nowhere near Championship level. Too lob-sided/one-footed, very, very slow, un-athletic, doesn't really track back and weak in physical duals. He's a good League One player but out of his depth at this level.

His last appearance for us was from the bench in December 2016, and since the January window following that, he's only made the matchday squad twice. Plus, since Neil became manager, he hasn't made the squad once, even away at Accy in the cup when a fringe side was played.

He was earmarked to be offloaded over the summer but wages proved prohibitive. Desperately needs a move back to League One in January to re-ignite his career or he faces becoming a bit of a forgotten man.

Thank you, I'll pass on him then. A real shame as I thought he looked pretty good against us, but mind you that was probably when we were in League one! He looked a real terrier.

On another note, I see Greg recovered from his broken leg only to get another injury which will keep him out for a while, knee isn't it. Always like Greg.

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I mentioned the 'Turkish Messi' Erhun Oztumer from Walsall at the end of last season as a midfield option.

He already has 4 goals and 2 assists from CM so far this term.

Could he make the step up? From the clips I've seen of him he looks class. He could be a good impact player with 20-30 mins to go. Worth a gamble? Surely wouldn't break the bank and more realistic than some of the above mentioned.

13 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

With our current personnel, what's the solution to teams like Burton and Millwall who came here for a draw?

We seem far better against sides that try and take the game to us. 

We didn't really look like scoring on Friday - Bobby's disallowed goal aside. I thought Burton did what they had to do pretty well, nullified us quite nicely.

I'd be tempted to go with the diamond we tried in the second half with Bobby as the top of the diamond with Taylor and Diedhiou up top. In this formation Bobby is able to get between the lines of the defence and midfield and drag people out of position, Taylor would do a similar job, Pato and O'Dowda out wide. Burton were able to just line up as two banks of players and our strikers/midfield separated by their midfield and our strikers marked.

Jack Payne at Oxford on loan from Huddersfield would be one I'd look at. 

Good player, only 22 and has experience at this level. 

Hopefully could get them to recall him in January & loan/sell him to us like when Chelsea did the same to us with Todd Kane & Forest.  

16 hours ago, elruli said:

Could he make the step up? From the clips I've seen of him he looks class. He could be a good impact player with 20-30 mins to go. Worth a gamble? Surely wouldn't break the bank and more realistic than some of the above mentioned.

Can't say for sure, from what I've seen of him he looks an exciting player, but yes the physicality of the Championship could be a big step up. Also, as I think @JoeAman08 was saying something along the lines of, he is similar in stature and style to Joe Morrell, so if the club are serious about Joe, this guy could block his progression. 

I think he is pretty much Walsall's main man, so doubt he'd actually be that cheap either! 

On 15/10/2017 at 17:50, Red Right Hand said:

I still think we should try and get Daniel Johnson. He`s OOC at the end of the season (according to Wiki) and wages wouldn`t be as high as Bannan.

No idea what PNE would take in January though - did I see you turned down £5m from someone in the summer @pnefcok?

Johnson is under contract until the summer of 2019 - https://www.pnefc.net/news/2016/august/paul-huntington-and-daniel-johnson-sign-new-contracts/

I suspect we will trying to extend that even further very soon. We always knew he was good but he didn't totally flourish under Grayson's quite defensive style. He has been top class since Neil came in. Don't think we took any offers for him over the summer but turned down a few million for Robinson from Derby and 8 million for Hugill from Reading/Wolves.

The Hugill bids over the summer showed that gone are the days of PNE selling assets on the cheap. If anyone wants our best players they have to stump up. Alan Nixon reported the other day that Hugill will be allowed to go in January but someone has to bid £12m.

On 15/10/2017 at 18:42, RedM said:

Thank you, I'll pass on him then. A real shame as I thought he looked pretty good against us, but mind you that was probably when we were in League one! He looked a real terrier.

On another note, I see Greg recovered from his broken leg only to get another injury which will keep him out for a while, knee isn't it. Always like Greg.

Yeah Pringle tore us apart in the League One play-offs for Rotherham. He doesn't seem to have done anything in the Championship with Rotherham, Fulham, Ipswich or us though. Burton showed an interest in the summer but it didn't come off. I suspect a League One move awaits in January.

Cunningham is out until Christmas time with a knee ligament injury, which at the time seemed like a huge blow, but Neil threw in an 18-year old first year pro at left back called Josh Earl to replace him, who has been absolutely outstanding. Obviously Cunningham will be welcomed back when he's fit as he's a class act in this league, but Earl has been tremendous, especially give his age, and softened the blow to a great extent.

@RedM liked Pringle, did well when first at Fulham, but seemed to have drifted.  Interesting comments from @pnefcok.  So let’s discount him.

Barry Bannan - only my view but might be one of those players who needs other clever players around him.  I’ve seen how him and Forestieri in the past have been on a different wavelength.  He’s busy on the ball, but are we good enough to have a player who hasn’t got the same workrate off the ball? I can see why he gets the praise, just not sure he’d work for us. Will sit on the fence on this one.

Daniel Johnson - another left footer...is that the missing link.  Always liked him.  Clever player.  @pnefcok - is he hardworking too?

Leon Britton - really surprised at the constant mention of this guy as the answer to a creative CM.  Not saying he’s not a good player, but he is a ‘keep the ball moving’ midfielder.  Effective yes, but he’s not creative, which is what you’re all saying you want. Korey Smith is a bigger threat going forward!

I wonder what we have on our radar in France?

I wonder whether there is a Prem youngster itching to get first team football at a decent club.  The likes of a Lewis Baker-type.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Daniel Johnson - another left footer...is that the missing link.  Always liked him.  Clever player.  @pnefcok - is he hardworking too?

He's not especially hard-working but I wouldn't say he's lazy. His strengths aren't getting stuck in or tracking players down, that's definitely Ben Pearson's job. Johnson moves with the ball very quickly and has an eye for goal/a killer pass, and is having an outstanding season.

As I said before though, he's unlikely to move. 2 years left on his deal and our owner is determined not to sell players. He's also settled in the area and just had a child.

I think your best bet would be the last option you mentioned. There's plenty of young Premier League players out there with loads of quality, who are looking to drop down to play games and then work their way back up. That's how we got Johnson for 50 grand in the first place.

On 15/10/2017 at 09:08, Red Right Hand said:

According to Wiki (I know!) Daniel Johnson is out of contract at PNE at the end of the season. I imagine they`ll be looking to tie him down pretty soon though if they`ve got any sense but surely we can offer better wages? Doubtless a lot of other championship clubs can too though.

would be quality signing

Erhun Oztumer always looks amazing in videos but you never know how well a player will step up. Also from speaking to my father in law (huge Posh fan), he is very much a luxury player who you have to carry defensively which doesn't necessarily work with our system.    The kind of player that if we were going to go for I would think you would want a preseason with to get him up to speed.

Don't think our midfield is too bad at all. We are now playing two up front, and two wide players, so playing a couple of high energy, good tackling midfielders works well. the fact the Pats and COD are high energy helps and gives us a midfield that has pace, doesn't let the opposition settle and is reasonably solid defensively. It's worked well so far, with exceptions (I thought we really missed COD and should have started with Leko against Burton). I think we look balanced, the formation has been successful, and the team work well as a unit, so if it ain't broken, don't fix it. 

I was thinking of midfielders who are proven in the championship.

Mo Diamé - Newcastle, not started for them this season and would be better than Pack/Smith/Brownhill/O’Neil/Hegeler 

*Will have high wages but we must’ve freed up some with the tomlin sale*

Lewis Cook - Bournemouth, 2 sub appearances this season, loan until end of season is more plausible, looked very good for Leeds in the championship

Archived