IGNORED

Width

sh1t_ref_again

Width - or should I say lack of

With burton putting 10 men around the edge of the box I was disappointed how little we tried to go down the wing, cant remember a decent cross being put in from the by-line, instead we constantly tried going through a packed middle or cutting inside from the wings to the banks of burton defenders. Would like to have seen COD on, but the injury to Smith perhaps changed the plans. When Leko come on, he went on a couple of runs and pulled them all over the place, then stopped and went deeper and deeper to receive than ball, by which time burton had 3 defenders on him. I was expecting a lot from the wingers we have signed, but not sure anyone seems keen on running down the wing taking a man on and putting in a decent cross.

When we get these teams who set out for a point, we need to try mixing it up.

Not sure as the game went on, if the mindset was a bit on last year and nearly more important not to loose that go for it and get the win.

@spudski has alluded to this elsewhere and I was saying the same during the match - we didn't use our wide men during the game to get behind their "parked bus" (actually more like a beached oil tanker) and get crosses in.  Burton sat very centrally.

LJ noted in his post-match interview, we needed to get that first goal to open the game up, otherwise it was like trying to fight a giant tortoise - no way were they coming out of their shell.  (He didn't say the last bit, the metaphor is mine!)

I was disappointed that Joe, with acres of space in front of him, didn't make more runs in the second half, but made numerous play-it-safe back passes.

Burton are a team of has-beens and never-will-bes and I don't think we needed to worry as much about their offensive threat.

Just now, sh1t_ref_again said:

Width - or should I say lack of

With burton putting 10 men around the edge of the box I was disappointed how little we tried to go down the wing, cant remember a decent cross being put in from the by-line, instead we constantly tried going through a packed middle or cutting inside from the wings to the banks of burton defenders. Would like to have seen COD on, but the injury to Smith perhaps changed the plans. When Leko come on, he went on a couple of runs and pulled them all over the place, then stopped and went deeper and deeper to receive than ball, by which time burton had 3 defenders on him. I was expecting a lot from the wingers we have signed, but not sure anyone seems keen on running down the wing taking a man on and putting in a decent cross.

When we get these teams who set out for a point, we need to try mixing it up.

Not sure as the game went on, if the mindset was a bit on last year and nearly more important not to loose that go for it and get the win.

We did get in numerous crosses but the quality, as you say, was very poor ending up out of play or floated into the keepers hands 3 yards of his goal line. Wasted opportunities time after time.

Yea I think last night should've been for getting crosses in as tough to break down through the middle. Didn't help with the ref allowing them to be physical yet not us. I think we did break them down eventually but was wrongly disallowed. We weren't awful last night just not great but I agree I would've like to have seen more crosses(of quality) into the box. Missed Milan in a game like that. 

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not much room for wing play now that we've narrowed the pitch.  If it was a little wider, we could have stretced them a bit.

That is a red herring. It appears to have been changed from 75 yards to 74 yards. I cannot see why they bothered except that it makes it the same as many other Championship clubs. 

Burton defended very deep and there wasn't any space behind their line .

We tried drawing them out but that didn't work either.

We needed more quick passing in and around their penalty area however with Fammy and Bobby not getting any joy and being constantly fouled they weren't functioning well as a pair .

Additionally , Elliassen and Leko aren't yet fully integrated with their teammates.

Archived