IGNORED

made up Uber fouling charge

Slacker

My son and a friend got an Uber taxi home last Sunday morning at around 7am.Last night (Friday) at 11pm he received an email from Uber informing him he was being charged £80 for fouling the taxi.The cab was booked through my sons account,and when he checked his account today,£80 has been taken by Uber.My son and his friend got in the taxi together and got out of the taxi together and he is adamant that neither of them made any kind of mess.(Uber did not describe what the mess actually consisted of.Food/vomit/drink?)Why would it take Uber six days to make this claim?

Has anybody on here had a similar experience? There is a section on the Uber website where you can appeal the fine,but I was hoping for some advice first.Having a quick look around the web there seem to be many instances of Uber helping themselves to peoples money when no fouling has occurred.How can a company just decide to fine someone with no evidence almost a week after the alleged offence?

Apparently you may be able to request proof of the receipt for the cost of cleaning.Even if the receipt shows the car was cleaned on last Sunday morning,surely the receipt could be for a different  cab and not the one my son was in.

Sounds like just another way for people / company’s to make more money that they aren’t actually entitled to.

Not sure where you’d stand but I’d suggest making a complaint to the police as in theory they’ve stolen money from your sons account that they aren’t entitled to, so that’s theft in my book or at the very least threaten Uber that you’re going to the police under the pretence of them stealing your sons money.

The trouble is, these company’s / people are all after something for nothing & I expect the majority of people getting into Uber’s at that time of day / night are a little worse for wear & can’t actually remember if they’ve ‘fouled’ in a car & just accept the fine but with your son being with a mate, they have witness.

I’d be fighting it, that’s for sure.

Thanks for the advice.I will definetly be chasing this up.Like I said,a quick glance on the web would suggest this is not an uncommon occurrence.I don't know what people can do to protect themselves from this scam but be careful if you are considering setting up an Uber account.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Thanks for the advice.I will definetly be chasing this up.Like I said,a quick glance on the web would suggest this is not an uncommon occurrence.I don't know what people can do to protect themselves from this scam but be careful if you are considering setting up an Uber account.

I guess the only way to protect yourself is either as Tone says, don’t use Uber or as your son did, make sure he’s not alone & in which case he has a witness.

The trouble is, how many people end up out on the lash & on their own at the end of night & out of their faces so they have no witness or recollection of what happened, so I’d guess Uber have managed to get away with making this ‘free money’ scam.

Archived