IGNORED

Filton Airfield

Mr X

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

I was told that there's too many houses near Filton for regular flights to use. It's not due to NIMBYs complaining of noise, but in the damage caused if an a/c missed the runway.

Whoever told you that is talking a load of old bollox.. how many houses are around Heathrow? If it was was about damage in case of a crash zero planes would go there let alone a hub for air mail.

Upkeep was too much for it's use would be my guess. And all that land for housing was too much of a carrot for the owners

Ah, a heady mix of council dithering, lack of suitable financial clout and some huffy military types after the war caused a lot of headaches. (Sound familiar?) Filton was, on paper, a far better place for a commercial successful airport but was, of course, not owned by the council. Lulsgate Bottom (for that was the early name for the current airport) was a special RAF airfield established in the war that was renown for its frequent foggy aspect - needed for training aircrews, apparently. After the end of the war, the council were looking to take over and recreate the glamour of the old Whitchurch airport. Even if it was a leap in the gloom.

Having cleared an entire village to make a new runway at Filton, the new birds flying from there were getting bigger and louder - witness the Brabazon. A real concern happened when the Britannia came down nearby in 1957, so perhaps that might explain a few cold feet regarding the choice. In the end, the RAF eventually agreed to a fee to release Lulsgate. The Corporation ran it until the charismatic Les Wilson really made it turn a profit, but a change in national law required the asset to be made a plc.

The reasons for Lulsgate are many and not necessarily logical, but politics were a big player in post-war aerospace Bristol.

2 hours ago, TRL said:

Whoever told you that is talking a load of old bollox.. how many houses are around Heathrow? If it was was about damage in case of a crash zero planes would go there let alone a hub for air mail.

Upkeep was too much for it's use would be my guess. And all that land for housing was too much of a carrot for the owners

The same information was announced on the local news channels at the time.

Nimby complaints was one reason, including noise pollution. Creating the necessary infrastructure was another problem.

Heathrow is a perfect example of where not to build an airport. The residential areas were largely bully in the 1920/30s and already established at the timr Heathrow was built.

3 hours ago, TRL said:

it might sound like a load of bollox but some of us were around at the time the plan was rejected and it was indeed the major stumbling block.

Absolutely typical of Bristol to miss out on an airport with a runway that could have coped with any modern passenger plane and lumber us with a short runway unfit for purpose foggy airport.

58 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it might sound like a load of bollox but some of us were around at the time the plan was rejected and it was indeed the major stumbling block.

Absolutely typical of Bristol to miss out on an airport with a runway that could have coped with any modern passenger plane and lumber us with a short runway unfit for purpose foggy airport.

You are ******* verbose for a corpse.

:yes:

tfj

6 hours ago, Mr X said:

Anybody know why Filton wasn't chosen as the passenger airport instead of Lulsgate? Would have made life a lot easier! 

Yes, and the answer is very simple:-

FILTON has a huge runway; is on the correct side of Bristol; has a mainline railway running passed it, and is on the axis of two major motorways. It has no serious weather issues, and, on a good day, is less than two hours from London.

LULSGATE has a relatively short runway; has dreadfull road links, including Barrow Gurney; no other functioning transport systems. It's frequently fog bound, and - being on top of a hill, suffers from cross-wind conditions that cause common diversions.

No brainer - Lulsgate wins hands-down.

Questions?

tfj

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I told you I had a message for you from the other side, do you want it?.

Can it wait until Halloween?

Unless someone that has 'passed over', and has a message from Andrea Leadsom about having my babies, I am not sure I want to know.

You are freaking me out - and I am not freaked out easily.

:shifty:

tfj

9 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

Can it wait until Halloween?

Unless someone that has 'passed over', and has a message from Andrea Leadsom about having my babies, I am not sure I want to know.

You are freaking me out - and I am not freaked out easily.

:shifty:

tfj

it's from a guy called Travis Bickle, firstly he want's to know if you are a real taxi driver?.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it's from a guy called Travis Bickle, firstly he want's to know if you are a real taxi driver?.

Travis Bickle?

Can't work out the anagram from 'Andrea Leadsom has the x factor and I just can't resist her' from that?

Help me out here?

tfj

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I put the message from him on the EMB thread, it just felt right.

Have you done a shift swap with BigTone?

You need to be more cutting and abusive. As a dead person you have nothing to lose.

tfj

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I can understand noise due to extra planes, but allowing any plane landing there has set a precedent that it is safe to land planes there,I don't know how that would have been a relevant argument to  throw out plans.

And I have also misread the OP :)  my brain was telling me he was asking why the runway was closed,when clearly he has not mentioned that once :)

.......... another reason why they developed Lulsgate Bottom was that Filton was a dedicated manufacturing site - a bit like Toulouse and Hamburg, the other airbus sites.

Toulouse and Hamburg did quite well out of the EU / Airbus carve-up. Real credit to EU cooperation.

How did Filton do?

Answers on a Brexit postcard.

:grr:

tfj

I seem to remember they did try and get Filton off the ground (pardon the pun) as a commercial airport sometime in the late 90's. 

I think approval was initially given however it went to a number of reviews. If I recall correctly, it was at the time when John Prescott was deputy Prime Minister. I can't remember if he was for or against but I think it was initially passed and then blocked and blocked again. I seem to remember that the locals were seriously up in arms about it and there was a big push against it (as you would imagine) from Lulsgate hence the huge upgrade in facilities there were given the green light including the runway extension.

The moving of the main Post Office sorting centre from just outside Temple Meads to the airfield site was all part of the proposed commercial expansion of Filton Airfield. 

• Admin
On 15/10/2017 at 17:46, Taxi for Johnson said:

Yes, and the answer is very simple:-

FILTON has a huge runway; is on the correct side of Bristol; has a mainline railway running passed it, and is on the axis of two major motorways. It has no serious weather issues, and, on a good day, is less than two hours from London.

LULSGATE has a relatively short runway; has dreadfull road links, including Barrow Gurney; no other functioning transport systems. It's frequently fog bound, and - being on top of a hill, suffers from cross-wind conditions that cause common diversions.

No brainer - Lulsgate wins hands-down.

Questions?

tfj

I don't gaf about many of those reasons but "correct side of Bristol"???

Wash your mouth out!

:gasmask:

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

I don't gaf about many of those reasons but "correct side of Bristol"???

Wash your mouth out!

:gasmask:

Oh I don`t know. Surely all the noise and pollution should go over the less salubrious areas of the city.

Pointing at the planes would give them something to do as well in between casual racism and punching horses.

Archived