IGNORED

Jota and Jota

Leveller

Am I the only one getting confused here? :blink:

There seems to be a Jota at Wolves and a Jota at Birmingham. For a while I thought there was only one and that my memory was playing tricks as to which club he was at.

Clearly my Championship knowledge is not what it should be. After all, with just 24 clubs there are only about 600 players to grapple with!

Haning consulted Wikipedia, it seems Jota is only a nickname anyway. What does it mean?

Diogo Jota at Wolves is on loan from Atletico and has probably been the best player in the league this season.

They have an agreement like they did for Helder Costa in January last year that they can sign him permanently for £15m and he'll be worth every penny if he gets them up.

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

There seems to be a Jota at Wolves and a Jota at Birmingham. For a while I thought there was only one and that my memory was playing tricks as to which club he was at.

Clearly my Championship knowledge is not what it should be. After all, with just 24 clubs there are only about 600 players to grapple with!

Haning consulted Wikipedia, it seems Jota is only a nickname anyway. What does it mean?

Firstly "jota" is the word for the letter "j" in both Spanish and Portuguese.

The ex Brentford one now at Brum is Spanish and his name is pronounced as "Hotta".

The Wolves player is Portuguese and the "J" is pronounced very similar English. So add an "a" to the English word "Jot".

1 minute ago, The Horse With No Name said:

To confuse matters further, Jota of Wolves wears Silva on the back of his shirt. What's that all about ?

Might be a U2 fan. When he's in his home shirt, he's Silva and Gold. 

11 hours ago, Leveller said:

Who gives a jota.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

took me a while! :laughcont:

But you got there! True story....a friend of mine's school chum was called Silver as that was his surname. Apparently, he was raucous and never shut up.

His teacher on Silver's end of year school report simply wrote, 'Silence is golden. Silver is not'.

I really do think the Spanish and Portuguese leagues are a bit of an untapped market.

I look at the list of players from those countries, that have all played in the Championship, and they have, in the majority been very influential.

Many from lower leagues or smaller clubs to the more familiar names.

Especially, for the position we need to strengthen. CM.

Is it because managers don't trust them...or are players reluctant to come here? Language barrier? Who knows....

7 hours ago, spudski said:

I really do think the Spanish and Portuguese leagues are a bit of an untapped market.

I look at the list of players from those countries, that have all played in the Championship, and they have, in the majority been very influential.

Many from lower leagues or smaller clubs to the more familiar names.

Especially, for the position we need to strengthen. CM.

Is it because managers don't trust them...or are players reluctant to come here? Language barrier? Who knows....

Obviously I have a vested interest here, but actually I think the quality falls away quite quickly down the leagues/teams in Portugal.

There are some gems among a second tier of top flight teams (Pacos, Braga, Rio Ave etc) but Spanish, French and Italian clubs are wise to this already.

Players with clear talent are often directly or indirectly on the books of the big three in Portugal, so they'll have first refusal on where they're going to go.

Similarly a lot of them are "shared ownership" players with their agents firm - which as we all know is dangerous territory for an English club to get into.

Players at Wolves are on loan, as a shop window for the agent. They could not hope to buy without serious money for the agent to surrender their share. 

So I don't think Wolves should necessarily be seen as evidence of a rich seam. Carvahal at Wednesday has been hit and miss with Portuguese signings.

Even so Portuguese managers get first pick, and players out of Benfica B etc end up all across Europe (small Serie A teams, smaller European top flights). 

The other thing to remember is a lot of players are South American (we need permits for). Wolves play more Portuguese players than Benfica and Porto!

Two years ago I'd have agreed wholeheartedly, but feels to me like we're shopping in almost the same bracket that Benfica etc is in (albeit smaller wages).

And as such, as the big 3 in Portugal probably buy and promote no more than 2-3 native Portuguese players a season, there is more demand than supply.

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

Obviously I have a vested interest here, but actually I think the quality falls away quite quickly down the leagues/teams in Portugal.

There are some gems among a second tier of top flight teams (Pacos, Braga, Rio Ave etc) but Spanish, French and Italian clubs are wise to this already.

Players with clear talent are often directly or indirectly on the books of the big three in Portugal, so they'll have first refusal on where they're going to go.

Similarly a lot of them are "shared ownership" players with their agents firm - which as we all know is dangerous territory for an English club to get into.

Players at Wolves are on loan, as a shop window for the agent. They could not hope to buy without serious money for the agent to surrender their share. 

So I don't think Wolves should necessarily be seen as evidence of a rich seam. Carvahal at Wednesday has been hit and miss with Portuguese signings.

Even so Portuguese managers get first pick, and players out of Benfica B etc end up all across Europe (small Serie A teams, smaller European top flights). 

The other thing to remember is a lot of players are South American (we need permits for). Wolves play more Portuguese players than Benfica and Porto!

Two years ago I'd have agreed wholeheartedly, but feels to me like we're shopping in almost the same bracket that Benfica etc is in (albeit smaller wages).

And as such, as the big 3 in Portugal probably buy and promote no more than 2-3 native Portuguese players a season, there is more demand than supply.

Yes totally mate...I included Portugal, but imo Spain has bigger pickings.

Archived