IGNORED

Clough knows it .

Major Isewater

Clough knows our midfield lacks quality, he praised our attack and our defence but said in the media that with one or two creative midfielders our forwards would score more .

Fortunately LJ knows it as well .Hopefully we can find a quality midfielder in the January window so we can push on .

I'm not knocking our lads who have done brilliantly but Pato is not consistent enough for me whilst being undoubtedly talented. 

Brownhill , like the Emperor's new clothes , it's popular to say what a fantastic player he is but I'm afraid I still don't see it .

Pack , lovely lad, slows the play down too much for me and will he ever score ? 

Would like to see Hegeler get a run of games in Pack's position .

Smith , destroyer , good at this level  but again going forward could do better .

Can these lads up their game ? 

It's all about opinions of course .

It shows that we aren't too far off .

Patterson's game relies on him drifting in from the wings, making a right nuisance of himself popping up around the opposition box.

That game, where they frequently had 6 men back in their area, wasn't made for him. 

A more traditional winger would've been the ticket.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Patterson's game relies on him drifting in from the wings, making a right nuisance of himself popping up around the opposition box.

That game, where they frequently had 6 men back in their area, wasn't made for him. 

Think that's why eliasson got the nod, unfortunately he had a poor game. Leko made a huge difference and in hindsight prob should have started. 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Lacking somebody like a Lansbury, Hourihane etc. Somebody that can pick a killer pass and score a goal or two!

Smith and Pack are solid but offer very little in the final third.

Or a Kevin De Bruyne!

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Think that's why eliasson got the nod, unfortunately he had a poor game. Leko made a huge difference and in hindsight prob should have started. 

I think it would have been worth switching Leko to the left wing for the last 5 minutes, jink jink , cut inside,   shoot,  booooooooooom!

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This is it. In the nicest way possible, if Paterson could do what he does at his best against every team we come up against, he would be way too good for our club. The reason why he is in the Championship and not the Premier League is that he is a tremendously talented player but doesn't quite have the versatility to his game to always be able to turn it on if the game isn't made for him. 

I think Brownhill  has the potential to be a superb midfielder for us but, again, he isn't quite there yet and does not turn it on every week.  I think with Smith (when fully fit) and especially Pack, you essentially know exactly what level of performance you will get out of them week in, week out. Both are good Championship midfielders who can be relied upon to put their shift in and support the rest of the team but neither are players who are likely to provide the moment of inspiration in a tight game. I'm glad we have them both but I'd agree we need another option. O'Dowda shows glimpses of quality combined with poor decision making, Eliasson is still adjusting and it is too early to judge and Leko, as you might expect from a lad his age, can be incredible or invisible from moment to the next.

I'd like Hegeler to get a bit more of a chance and I'd love us to sign a top quality Championship midfielder but players like that can be hard to come by. What is great is we are in a position where, if we kept everyone else, we could probably justify spending the entire of next summer's transfer budget on one central midfielder but, at the same time, a player of the quality we need would be in demand and it may also be a case of working with O'Dowda, Eliasson and Brownhill to see if they can be developed in time to become the type of players we crave.  

Well as it stands, we've got the 3rd best goals scored in the league and the second best goals difference.

It's all about finding that balance of scoring and not conceding, so we've done amazingly well with what we've got.

Sitting pretty in 4th place and only one of two teams that have lost just one game all season.

If we continue in this vein, and get better quality in CM, either from our own players or new signing, then who knows what we could be capable of this season.

Like the Major, I'd like to see Hegeler given a chance in CM. I personally think he's a quality player for this level.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Well as it stands, we've got the 3rd best goals scored in the league and the second best goals difference.

It's all about finding that balance of scoring and not conceding, so we've done amazingly well with what we've got.

Sitting pretty in 4th place and only one of two teams that have lost just one game all season.

If we continue in this vein, and get better quality in CM, either from our own players or new signing, then who knows what we could be capable of this season.

Like the Major, I'd like to see Hegeler given a chance in CM. I personally think he's a quality player for this level.

But can Hegeler produce the intensity that is needed for our game plan..?

He has quality, but I worry if having him in the centre of the park would derail the rest of the teams efforts and intimately spoil what we are doing. Maybe that's why he's now seen as more of a CB than a CM option..?

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

He has quality, but I worry if having him in the centre of the park would derail the rest of the teams efforts and intimately spoil what we are doing. Maybe that's why he's now seen as more of a CB than a CM option..?

Personally I think it is horses for courses. I certainly think there are a lot of games we've played where Hegeler is not the right option in central midfield but I also think that, whilst it is great LJ has got a clear idea of the team's identity and how he wants us to play, we need to tweak the plan for certain games (notably home games against teams that are going to defend deeply against us). I think it is in that tweaking that Hegeler may have a role. 

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

100% right . We've come along way . Only losing once is an amazing achievement. As for centre midfield we definitely need a signing in that department. And that's not knocking the lads who have been outstanding IMO . Just need something different. But as you say it's a balancing act . Fridays game reminded me of watching England trying to break down a poor international side . It's never easy. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Spot on. I thought Leko was a liability and looked completely out of his depth.

Strange how we see things differently, Leko picked the ball up in tight areas and either went direct into the box or more often did the ' Messi ' line along the penalty area.

What he lacked was link up play with the others who were not always on the same wavelength. 

They haven't played with each other enough to know each other's game. 

He seemed the most likely to make something happen I thought. 

I hoped COD. would play , strange that he didn't.

I see Elliassen , Leko and O'Dowda more as wingers , forwards , than midfielders though.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Friday we also massively missed Đurić and even Taylor IMO . LJ said he thought about putting Flint up front. We needed to do something like that . But we went for the win at Birmingham and come unstuck. So can understand his reservations 

I don't think if we stuck Flint up front we would of been taking a risk as they never looked to attack.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

100% right . We've come along way . Only losing once is an amazing achievement. As for centre midfield we definitely need a signing in that department. And that's not knocking the lads who have been outstanding IMO . Just need something different. But as you say it's a balancing act . Fridays game reminded me of watching England trying to break down a poor international side . It's never easy. 

England are exactly the point , they rarely play as a team .

They don't know intuitively where to put the ball for their colleagues .

Smaller nations teams  play more like teams because they don't have so many changes in personnel around them. 

48 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Lacking somebody like a Lansbury, Hourihane etc. Somebody that can pick a killer pass and score a goal or two!

Smith and Pack are solid but offer very little in the final third.

Yep. We are one big investment away from being a very good side. Unfortunately it is a weakness we have had for a number of years. 

20 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Forget the quick passing game everyone thinks LJ is a master at (cant break down Burton with it though!) so get a big man upfront and lump it! ha ha.

Ask Derby what they thought of our performance against them

Some you win, some you lose (or get a point). Rowett was very complimentary. You probably missed it though, what with being a one eyed, LJ hater

Against teams that offer little going forward (Burton) then Hegeler would have been a better choice, hes calm on the ball, likes to bring it forward and has a good pass on him (as well as a little vision) I am not sure he would suit the pace of a lot of games (though he may have improved since we last saw him). I think he makes a better CM than CB, he just feels wasted as a CB especially when we have so many CB options.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Is he any slower than Pack? Tbh...I think it's his languid style that makes people think he's slow.

He covers ground quickly and has a very quick eye for a pass.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Is he any slower than Pack? Tbh...I think it's his languid style that makes people think he's slow.

He covers ground quickly and has a very quick eye for a pass.

Strange one with Hegeler. Probably would've not suited our 442 last season but think he would now. We tend to have lots of possession which means he won't have to defend as rigourously. It's hard for me to grasp how he's played in the midfield in the champions league but can't for city. After the game Pack had the other night I'd be fine with a Brownhill and Hegeler pairing against Leeds though I would get Pack starting as he's more "trusted."

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Clough knows our midfield lacks quality, he praised our attack and our defence but said in the media that with one or two creative midfielders our forwards would score more .

Fortunately LJ knows it as well .Hopefully we can find a quality midfielder in the January window so we can push on .

I'm not knocking our lads who have done brilliantly but Pato is not consistent enough for me whilst being undoubtedly talented. 

Brownhill , like the Emperor's new clothes , it's popular to say what a fantastic player he is but I'm afraid I still don't see it .

Pack , lovely lad, slows the play down too much for me and will he ever score ? 

Would like to see Hegeler get a run of games in Pack's position .

Smith , destroyer , good at this level  but again going forward could do better .

Can these lads up their game ? 

It's all about opinions of course .

It shows that we aren't too far off .

spot on midfield not consistant

Archived