IGNORED

Clough knows it .

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Hegeler is a quality player.

I actually think if we were in the Premier League he would be higher up the pecking order for midfield. A division up and they have so much more time on the ball in midfield, which would suit him perfectly. But in the Championship there is a tendency to close down the midfield quicker.

Simply in ability terms- ignoring the system we play and how they are suited- Hegeler is among our best for midfield.

Interesting view that there is more time on the ball in midfield in the Prem...if you’d said across the back 4 I’d agree, but midfield, no (imho).  I just think it’s as intense if not quicker in the Prem, it’s just the players are better, better touch, better awareness, better picture of the game around them etc.  They sometimes make it look slower as a result.  Sometimes tactics make it look that way too.

I watched bits of the Wolves v Villa game on Saturday evening, and every time Neves looked like he was going to get caught on the ball, he played a lovely pass, committing his opponent.  It was like he knew how to suck his opponent in, whilst being totally in control of what he was trying to do.  I know he’s touted as a £15m Defensive Midfielder, but he is far more than that and probably one of the best players I’ve seen (on telly) at this level.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting view that there is more time on the ball in midfield in the Prem...if you’d said across the back 4 I’d agree, but midfield, no (imho).  I just think it’s as intense if not quicker in the Prem, it’s just the players are better, better touch, better awareness, better picture of the game around them etc.  They sometimes make it look slower as a result.  Sometimes tactics make it look that way too.

I watched bits of the Wolves v Villa game on Saturday evening, and every time Neves looked like he was going to get caught on the ball, he played a lovely pass, committing his opponent.  It was like he knew how to suck his opponent in, whilst being totally in control of what he was trying to do.  I know he’s touted as a  Defensive Midfielder, but he is far more than that and probably one of the best players I’ve seen at this level.

So, a bit like Hegeler, perhaps?

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I watched bits of the Wolves v Villa game on Saturday evening, and every time Neves looked like he was going to get caught on the ball, he played a lovely pass, committing his opponent.  It was like he knew how to suck his opponent in, whilst being totally in control of what he was trying to do.  I know he’s touted as a £15m Defensive Midfielder, but he is far more than that and probably one of the best players I’ve seen (on telly) at this level.

I was probably thinking more the deep midfield area, between the defense and midfield, rather than properly in the middle. I know Hegeler has experience at all central areas of midfield, but that's where I think he would be best for us.

1 hour ago, streety_bcfc said:

What are you basing Hegeler being a quality player on? Because the games that I have seen whilst he is playing in midfield he wouldn't improve it as we are at the moment. 

The games where I have seen him play, with us and from before he joined.

Admittedly that isn't a huge pool. But I won't pretend to have been an avid Bundesliga watcher, he was a very good player while at Leverkusen though (in the bits I saw)

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe.  Would like to see him in this Johnson side / style at some point.

Let's not exaggerate, but something of a Bechenbauer type.

Somebody, perhaps @spudski ?, referred earlier to his languid style, and that is what I have seen in my televised (not live, for which there is no substitute) highlights so far this season - cool, calm and collected, bringing the ball out of defence after the (hard, but non ball-playing) intervention of Flint and Baker.  

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Somebody, perhaps @spudski ?, referred earlier to his languid style, and that is what I have seen in my televised (not live, for which there is no substitute) highlights so far this season - cool, calm and collected, bringing the ball out of defence after the (hard, but non ball-playing) intervention of Flint and Baker.  

I’ve mentioned his laid-back style before Phil.  His touch is not about just getting it under, but moving it into position for his next touch pass. He looks unrushed, calm...the sign of a bit of class.

He has deceptive pace, recovery pace.  But he is not going to swarm around opponents like a Smith in the midfield.

The question is how to accommodate him.  I think in our current style he could play in a two (last season we weren’t sure of our identity).  Palace would be a good game to see.

42 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Hegeler is a technically a fine player, but hasn’t adjusted to the pace of British football in my opinion. 

Also in my opinion we could do better in terms of central midfield, though I acknowledge pack and smith have been fine servants for us.

He can only adjust if he plays regularly . 

59 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

So have a lot of players at this level doesn't mean they are going to be better. I see you glossed over my point about it applying to our other midfielders too. So by definition you are saying that both Smith and Pack need to be replaced to move up?  

If you play on the Downs and are coached by an amateur you will rarely improve as a player .

If you are coached by professionals and play with better players you are, evidently, going to become more proficient or get left behind.

View the number of games JH has played at a much higher level I can see that he was more than competent.

No ' glossing ' ,  I think , as I said in my original post that our midfield is adequate but needs upgrading if we want to climb the pyramid.

Nigel Clough and Lee Johnson. agree with me . 

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Quick question.

Are you still dead? If you are, can you show EMB around as he is new there?

Cheers,

tfj

Archived