IGNORED

Could Billy Bodin be the answer?

Robbored

46 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Agree with this. No comparison between league 1 and championship football these days. 

Bodin's a decent footballer, but no better than we have already got. 

How do you know that he's no better than what we already have? Have you seen him play?

Ive never seen him play so I'm not in a position to judge but my gashead mate is qualified. He watches him every home game.

23 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

When did we last have a central midfielder who was a significant goal threat? I've been watching City for over 20 years and I struggle to think of one. David Noble was the best I could come up with and his best scoring season for City saw him net 4 goals. Bobby Reid might qualify but his goals this season have been scored playing as a striker.

I don't know if they're especially rare, or if City has some particular blind spot in that position, but it seems odd that in 20 years there hasn't been a single one.

Or, more likely, there are some obvious ones that I've forgotten.

Marv bagged a few. Think he got 8 one season.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How do you know that he's no better than what we already have? Have you seen him play?

Ive never seen him play so I'm not in a position to judge but my gashead mate is qualified. He watches him every home game.

So you've never watched him but because one of your (many) Rovers buddies thinks he's good makes him an option for us.

I'd be surprised if we do business with Rovers again personally. Add to that the fact that people who have watched him and the club who have scouted him think he's not of the required standard. It is a big jump from L1 to the 'Championship'.

I think this one is very unlikely.. and you probably just posted it to get the reaction that you've got.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It's worth considering that there are some lower League players that would be very capable of playing higher up given the right quality coaching which is available at City.

Its also worth considering that players often often don't reach their peak untill their late 20s.............maybe Bodin is worth a punt...

That may well be true but based on a 'scouting' report from a saghead..........no thanks!

Sag head perception - "4th richest club in the country"..............Reality - probably not even in top 6 budget in league one

Sag head perception - "there was well over 1000 gas heads away today"...........Reality - away attendance 750

Sag head perception "Bodin is about the best player we've got and is far too classy for League 1"................Reality - lower league player who just happens to be the best of a very bad bunch

D'ya catch my drift?

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ive never seen him play so I'm not in a position to judge but my gashead mate is SECTIONED. He watches him every home game.

.....an NHS patient of yours before you retired Robbo? 

PS .. (be careful mixing with 'em  RR - they do say you get like who your with!  :yes: )

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So you've never watched him but because one of your (many) Rovers buddies thinks he's good makes him an option for us.

It is a big jump from L1 to the 'Championship'.

No I've never seen Bodin play but Mike ( my gashead buddy) did say that the quality between the Championship and League 1 is vast. He's a  football buff and occasionally watches City at AG so he's well aware of the gulf in standard.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No I've never seen Bodin play but Mike ( my gashead buddy) did say that the quality between the Championship and League 1 is vast. He's a  football buff and occasionally watches City at AG so he's well aware of the gulf in standard.

Mike Hunt?

9 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

.....an NHS patient of yours before you retired Robbo? 

No.....although in 26 years in the job I did have several gasheads on my caseload at different times, just as I had several City fans.

Might seem strange to some but it made zero difference to the care they received from me.

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

A whole thread on the opinion of Robbored’s gashead mate.

Save it for the bowls club.

Mike knows his stuff and view of the threads recently on here it occurred to me that Bodin could possibly be the answer.

Btw - there's a couple Rovers season ticket holders down the bowls club. I'll mention Bodin to them when I next see them. It'll be interesting to hear what they think of him.

They might think he's crap..........:dunno:

2 minutes ago, WRERE said:

Where does an attacking midfielder fit into our system? We need a goal scoring central midfielder which is different to an attacking midfielder. Besides, isn't Bodin a winger?

I think it's more about different options if we were in the same position as Friday TBH WRERE. We don't have that type of player who has the game to unlock a defence as tight as Burtons was. A Tomlin without all the associated crap essentially.

You want the opinion of someone who's seen him play, presumably often enough to make a 'qualified' assessment like your mate Mike.

How many Bristol City supporters do you suppose that might include?

How many of those supporters do you also suppose will openly admit to such a strange accomplishment on otib?

So, what did you hope to achieve by starting a speculative thread about Billy Bodin on otib?

Did you forget to take your old people's pills again this morning, Robbo? :facepalm:

50 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

You want the opinion of someone who's seen him play, presumably often enough to make a 'qualified' assessment like your mate Mike.

How many Bristol City supporters do you suppose that might include?

How many of those supporters do you also suppose will openly admit to such a strange accomplishment on otib?

So, what did you hope to achieve by starting a speculative thread about Billy Bodin on otib?

Did you forget to take your old people's pills again this morning, Robbo? :facepalm:

I'm sure the Matty Taylor signing started off as a speculative thread which everyone slagged off initially.

My gashead neighbour (not a mate) says that there can't be much of a difference in standard as Sheff. Utd are flying high, so he thinks any decent League 1 team or player could make the step up. 

24 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I'm sure the Matty Taylor signing started off as a speculative thread which everyone slagged off initially.

It started from a transfer rumour not random speculation from two old gits in a Bowls club discussing his merits and his suitability for us.

It didn't ask should we but will we sign him.

1 hour ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

It started from a transfer rumour not random speculation from two old gits in a Bowls club discussing his merits and his suitability for us.

It didn't ask should we but will we sign him.

I posted this thread because there have been several other threads about City needing to sign an attacking midfielder who can spray the ball around and score goals.

Chatting earlier today with a gashead mate of mine (not a bowler btw) and he mentioned Bodin being a classy player that's too good for League 1. 

Now, unlike some other posters on here, I've never seen him play but as I  respect my mates opinions about football I thought that maybe Bodin could be the answer so posted to see what others thought.

Archived