IGNORED

Under 17's World Cup (Merged)

phantom

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

I see another of the England youth sides is progressing well in a tournament, after topping their group they beat Japan 5-3 on penalties earlier today and now face USA in the quarter finals on Saturday afternoon 

Watched it Phants

Was a decent game - (Repeat d on Eurosport atm)

Took our penalties with aplomb and our young keeper made a great save from one and then smashed the next pen in himself !!

:clapping:

1 hour ago, CheddarReds said:

Gutted (in some ways) Sancho went back to Dortmund early. My word can that boy play!!

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Only to play in the junior champions league as well

So Dortmund call him back early, weakening the England under-17 team in the process, while the Germans also advance to the last 8 of the same tournament.  Am I reading too much into that?

4 hours ago, North London Red said:

So Dortmund call him back early, weakening the England under-17 team in the process, while the Germans also advance to the last 8 of the same tournament.  Am I reading too much into that?

Yes.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/borussia-dortmund/story/3219844/jadon-sancho-to-return-to-dortmund-from-u17-world-cup-after-group-stage

They announced in October they'd recall him.

14 minutes ago, hodge said:

Anyone know why a junior world cup takes place during the season? 

I would guess because it's very rare for a 16 or 17 year old to be playing first team football. And if they've reached that level, they've probably graduated to an older age group in terms of international games. These days there seems to be an emphasis on ensuring that young players have sufficient rest- their bodies are still growing and they need to be given a lighter workload. Having them play all season then jet off for 4 weeks in the summer to an international tournament isn't going to achieve that

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

All these youngsters doing well should be great for the full National team. Yet none will play for their PL teams due to jonny foreigners so it wont benefit the full team at all!!

Not many u17s of any nationlity would be playing at a level like the prem; “Jonny foreigner” or not.

Archived