IGNORED

Shrewsbury Town

Leveller

One of our new favourites, for obvious reasons.

Having been born there, I take a passing interest (though I hung round no more than a few days, never to return).

Their present position is impressive and they already look likely to be promoted, though of course it's early days. If they do, they could challenge Burton for the title of the smallest club in the Championship - or replace them. I believe each town has a population of around 72000.

COYS!

20 minutes ago, Leveller said:

One of our new favourites, for obvious reasons.

Having been born there, I take a passing interest (though I hung round no more than a few days, never to return).

Their present position is impressive and they already look likely to be promoted, though of course it's early days. If they do, they could challenge Burton for the title of the smallest club in the Championship - or replace them. I believe each town has a population of around 72000.

COYS!

Thats nothing!!! - Burnley only have a population of 73k and they yo-yo between the Prem and the Championship - which is better than a lot of bigger places (including us) - I can't remember them being any lower than the top half Championship (and I can't be arsed to google it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnley

5 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Thats nothing!!! - Burnley only have a population of 73k and they yo-yo between the Prem and the Championship - which is better than a lot of bigger places (including us) - I can't remember them being any lower than the top half Championship (and I can't be arsed to google it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnley

I have to admit I didn't realise Burnley was that small - their tradition is so big.

16 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I have to admit I didn't realise Burnley was that small - their tradition is so big.

I'm led to believe they always take a decent away following too. My work colleague always says he unlikely to get a ticket for an away game for Burnley unless they're playing away to Southampton on a night game!

27 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is there any reason that we can't make the S82 corner safe standing then? Their ground was built recently, as was ours.

S82 is pretty much standing anyway, I like it how it is tbf. I’m in my thirties now and enjoy the 15 minute rest at half time.

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

One of my favourite players growing up was their centre forward, Andy Lockhead.

Unfortunately, he had left them by the time Burnley played City.

I am trying to think of the name of the guy they had in midfield in the early 70's a real "stroller type" a bit like Trevor Brooking became later? There was also a bald headed guy (Noble?) who was very good. They were considered a great breeding ground for young players in the late 60's and early 70's. 

EDIT: 

The two guys I was thinking of were Martin Dobson (how could I forget him?) and Ralph Coates. 

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am trying to think of the name of the guy they had in midfield in the early 70's a real "stroller type" a bit like Trevor Brooking became later? There was also a bald headed guy (Noble?) who was very good. They were considered a great breeding ground for young players in the late 60's and early 70's. 

Martin Dobson "stroller type"?

They've started this season similar to the way Leyton Orient did in our first season back in L1 a few years ago. Obviously Orient fell away as the season went on, lost in the Play Offs and have since been relegated twice.

I hope for their sake Shrewsbury don't suffer such a massive change in fortunes over the next few years. 

Doesn't Shrewsburys new stadium have a bigger capacity than Burtons? Shrews have certainly got more League history and I remember them being a second tier club in the late 80s.

24 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

One of my favourite players growing up was their centre forward, Andy Lockhead.

Unfortunately, he had left them by the time Burnley played City.

I remember him playing for Villa and Leicester. Good in air was a strength of his.

29 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They've started this season similar to the way Leyton Orient did in our first season back in L1 a few years ago. Obviously Orient fell away as the season went on, lost in the Play Offs and have since been relegated twice.

I hope for their sake Shrewsbury don't suffer such a massive change in fortunes over the next few years. 

Doesn't Shrewsburys new stadium have a bigger capacity than Burtons? Shrews have certainly got more League history and I remember them being a second tier club in the late 80s.

The new meadow is a fair bit bigger than the Pirelli (9875 to 6912) but it's also all seater and can be expanded temporarily or permanently by filling in the corners (I think they did it for a cup game a couple of years ago when they had nigh on 10,300).

Given Burton would have to comply with the 'all seater' criteria if they stay up again, their capacity would drop even further as they still have a lot of terracing.

When I moved to Shrewsbury in 1986, they were in the old Div Two and had a reasonable side. Moysie joined them a year or so later and partnered Pearson at CB. At home to Man City in the league was an experience as any hope of segregation was impossible with Man C fans filling the Gay Meadow. Also sae Arsenal there in League Cup and watching Tony Adams organise his back four was amazing.

First memory of going there was in early Sixties and losing 4-0 to Shrews with Gibbo in goal for them before he joined us.

Really do hope they come up.

25 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

EDIT: 

The two guys I was thinking of were Martin Dobson (how could I forget him?) and Ralph Coates. 

I am assuming the 'baldheaded guy' to whom you referred in your edit was the late Ralph Coates, and he was indeed very good; an England international to boot. I remember watching him training at Ashton Gate prior to an England match away to Wales in what was then the Home Championship, and watching/listening him give a right rollocking to the World Cup winner Alan Ball for some perceived fault. Ralph Coates wasn't bald at that time, but wore an amazing 'sweepover' or 'combover' hairstyle, a la Bobby Charlton, and I can still recall the extremely squeaky voice of Alan Ball arguing with RC and taking the proverbial out of his hairstyle.  

Burnley did seem to have some form of conveyor belt for young players in that era; players like Brian Flynn and Frank Casper spring to mind, but also a seemingly endless line of wingers such as the two Willies, Irvine and Morgan, and, of course, the fantastic Leighton James.

Willie Morgan, of course, went on to play for Manchester United (alongside Messrs. Charlton, Best and Law, amongst others) and scored a wonderful goal against Spurs, I think; a chip from outside the box that nestled just under the bar and was shown repeatedly on MOTD or The Big Match.  

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am assuming the 'baldheaded guy' to whom you referred in your edit was the late Ralph Coates, and he was indeed very good; an England international to boot. I remember watching him training at Ashton Gate prior to an England match away to Wales in what was then the Home Championship, and watching/listening him give a right rollocking to the World Cup winner Alan Ball for some perceived fault. Ralph Coates wasn't bald at that time, but wore an amazing 'sweepover' or 'combover' hairstyle, a la Bobby Charlton, and I can still recall the extremely squeaky voice of Alan Ball arguing with RC and taking the proverbial out of his hairstyle.  

Burnley did seem to have some form of conveyor belt for young players in that era; players like Brian Flynn and Frank Casper spring to mind, but also a seemingly endless line of wingers such as the two Willies, Irvine and Morgan, and, of course, the fantastic Leighton James.

Willie Morgan, of course, went on to play for Manchester United (alongside Messrs. Charlton, Best and Law, amongst others) and scored a wonderful goal against Spurs, I think; a chip from outside the box that nestled just under the bar and was shown repeatedly on MOTD or The Big Match.  

Yes I remembered Coates afterwards (added it in the edit) . I was going to say about wingers, another one was Dave Thomas who was lightning quick and played the dangerous game of rolling his socks down and going without shinpads, I think thats not legal now? There was also Tony Morley.

Do you remember Steve Kindon as well? I think they sold him to Wolves, he was like a juggernaut one minute and like bambi on ice the next> :) 

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I remembered Coates afterwards (added it in the edit) . I was going to say about wingers, another one was Dave Thomas who was lightning quick and played the dangerous game of rolling his socks down and going without shinpads, I think thats not legal now? There was also Tony Morley.

Do you remember Steve Kindon as well? I think they sold him to Wolves, he was like a juggernaut one minute and like bambi on ice the next> :) 

How interesting.

I remember well all three wingers you mention, although I don't associate any of them with Burnley - obviously a generation thing.

Dave Thomas, he of the rolled down socks as you say, and Tony Morley, were both fine wingers, but, for me, they played respectively for QPR and Aston Villa.

You say that Steve Kindon was sold to Wolves, and, for me, that is how I remember him; a tank of a player.   

Bryan Flynn - seen him at AG a couple of times last season, think he might scout for Swansea.  He was stood in my parking space having a fag (must’ve stunted his growth!), so he had to move whilst I parked.  Think he was watching Flint....but maybe it was Tammy!

I had the Wales Subbuteo kit, and where one player’s legs had been glued a few times, the player had become shorter.  So he was always Flynn!

Archived