IGNORED

City to finish in the top 2 spots?

reddogkev

22 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Yes. Aim high.

If you fall short you’re still in a good place.

Aim “top 10” and fall short you’re average.

And I genuinely feel that this season we’re in a far better and deserving place than this time last year.

But then the Bristolian approach (and I was born and brought up in Bristol) is so often one of expecting little and then either moaning about it or taking pleasure in saying “told you so”.

Onwards and upwards.

This surely makes no sense at all because where you aim has no real bearing on where you actually finish.

In fact, you could say your way is worse - if you finish just outside the top 10 after aiming for the top two that'll be a much bigger disappointment and knock to confidence than finishing there after aiming for top 10.

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

This time last season Maybe.

I can’t see bar the points tally how any comparisons what so ever can be made against last season, I can only presume you haven’t been going to games as this team looks completely different to last seasons, IMO opinion we were in a false posistion this time last season where as this time we deserve to be where we are. 

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Because it's not really relevant? Didn't Leicester nearly go down the season before they won the league too, or have I made that up? 

My point is that what happened last season is largely irrelevant to this season in the same way that what I had for tea last night is not a fantastic indicator of what I'll have for tea tonight. 

Too many variables for there to be any actual correlation, and luckily one of them is now in Cardiff!

What did you have for tea last night? It’s relevant to me and I really want to know.

We are in a position to challenge and that’s all at the moment. If this group of players can sustain the current consistency and add in a bit of Lady Luck when it comes to injuries and suspensions then who knows.

I bought a ST for the first time this season after 40+ years because I saw something that gave me that feeling this group could actually do well and challenge at the top of the league, so far that hunch is looking promising

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

no chance, I still don't think we'll be near the play-offs

I'm not saying we will be in the top two spots, nor in the playoffs. 

But what is your 'no chance' opinion based off? We seem to be very good this year? And I truly feel we can beat anyone in this league.. So to say we have no chance based off the first 12 games seems more ridiculous than those feeling optimistic of a top 6 / 2 spot. 

Yes last year "blah blah blah".... But we play and are playing completely different in a number of ways, that seems to be working very well. And yes we have struggled to break a couple teams down this year, but any team would struggle and we probably could of and should of won both the Burton & Millwall games.

But yeh, I'm not knocking your opinion at all, because I think top 6 will be tough to maintain, but I wouldn't say we had "no chance". But I am interested to know why you feel so strongly that we wont be up there. 

Up the City x

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I can’t see bar the points tally how any comparisons what so ever can be made against last season, I can only presume you haven’t been going to games as this team looks completely different to last seasons, IMO opinion we were in a false posistion this time last season where as this time we deserve to be where we are. 

Hi Rob, I think you're totally missing the point of my statement. The team are playing great stuff arguably the best we've seen at this level.  But this good start and that's all it is , may and I stress the 'may' not last but i hope it does for the record   If football was predictable i would be a millionaire and banned by sky bet  sadly I’m not. All i am saying is reign the back slapping in. Obviously you and anyone else can knock yourselves out. ( P.S not missed a game yet this season )

Interesting to hear LJ commenting on how we have really had 'a punch on the nose' yet to see how we deal with that (apparently we have only been behind for a total of 77 mins this season!). And that is still a bit of an unknown for us - In this league, we are going to lose at some point, quite possibly to someone who we feel we should beat and then we have to bounce back. In such an unpredictable league that might be the most important trait for a successful team - to bounce back immediately and not end up in a mini (or not so mini!) slump for a few games. We are yet to be texted in that regard yet. 

(LJ says it in the pre-Leeds press conference link at about 8:09)

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Stir fried chicken with Korean BBQ seasoning, broccoli and rice! 

Completely different to tonight's grilled Sea Bream with green beans. 

Is this OTIB or masterchef?

Call me overly cautious, but we have a very, very difficult game on Saturday which we could as easily lose as win imo (not being negative, just realistic)

Talk of the top two isn't really what we need to hear about right now.

Top 6 and that would be AMAZING in itself.

All about opinions, but i hate talk like this before such a hard game especially.

10 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Call me overly cautious, but we have a very, very difficult game on Saturday which we could as easily lose as win imo (not being negative, just realistic)

Talk of the top two isn't really what we need to hear about right now.

Top 6 and that would be AMAZING in itself.

All about opinions, but i hate talk like this before such a hard game especially.

Sensible stance.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

After that fantastic win at Brighton at the end of last season I really fancied City to do well this season. So much so that I placed a bet on City to get promoted at 10/1.

Its definitely looking good at the moment.................:fingerscrossed:

I put on a bet on for us to win the play offs at 28/1 (not a huge amount)

skybet are offering me, more or less, to double my stake on cash out.

24 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Hi Rob, I think you're totally missing the point of my statement. The team are playing great stuff arguably the best we've seen at this level.  But this good start and that's all it is , may and I stress the 'may' not last but i hope it does for the record   If football was predictable i would be a millionaire and banned by sky bet  sadly I’m not. All i am saying is reign the back slapping in. Obviously you and anyone else can knock yourselves out. ( P.S not missed a game yetthisseason )

I suspect we have both been watching City for far too long to genuinely get excited at this stage of the season,

I suppose my point is that I keep seeing people write ‘ we had a great start last season etc etc’,

the football we are seeing this season is completely different to last season where we were lucky on more than one occasion, let’s also not forget the bigger picture since our disastourous run is we have only lost twice (both to Birmingham) in something like 22 games now. I think this City side is a completely different beast to the one this time last season. 

5 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

People are saying January because that's when we can sign new players. So you take stock in Jan work out where to strengthen and what to spend. 

January is literally (in terms of transfers) leaving it as late as possible to assess how our seasons going. 

Let's hope Lee learns from his dad's mistake and goes for it in that January if we are up there. We blew it in 07/08 because we didn't splash the cash

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Two teams have properly 'parked the bus' against us this season and we've taken 4 points - would have been 6 were it not for Mr Linnington. 

I agree it's a weak spot of ours but the table doesn't lie. As it stands three teams have been better than us this season which would suggest our midfield is capable of delivering a top six finish.

Not saying they will of course but 'we won't finish top six with this midfield' or words to that effect, is something of a baseless statement.

Disagree completely. We've played Barnsley, Bolton, Burton and Millwall at home. Brentford away. 5 easy games on paper. We have sterner tests to come. We need that quality central midifeld player who can complete our squad. If we don't then I feel we will blow it. We've only won 5 out of 12. That shows what we are missing. Good start but if we had addressed in the summer it could have been an amazing start. 

48 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Disagree completely. We've played Barnsley, Bolton, Burton and Millwall at home. Brentford away. 5 easy games on paper. We have sterner tests to come. We need that quality central midifeld player who can complete our squad. If we don't then I feel we will blow it. We've only won 5 out of 12. That shows what we are missing. Good start but if we had addressed in the summer it could have been an amazing start. 

Don't disagree about us needing a quality CM but you can't just ignore all the difficult fixtures we have had in order to pretend we've had an easy start. Derby, Norwich, Ipswich, Wolves, Reading and not to mention Watford and Stoke dispatched too. 

Reality is only 3/23 sides have started better than us, and even that's very marginal. Whichever way it gets spun it's been a superb start and I don't think you can pick a block of 12 games that looks any more or less daunting than what we've had - it's just an incredibly competitive league. 

I think it's very unlikely we'll end up in the top two. We are up against some strong, well resourced clubs. Having said that, we are currently challenging at the top end of the table, so we're doing something right and the aim now has to be to stay there. 

My expectation for the start of the season was that we'd finish lower mid table. Currently it looks like I was being too pessimistic. Hope so. 

Even if we are hovering just above mid table we will have a chance of sneaking into the play offs. 

As things stand at the present is that weve played 12 matches 1/4 of the season    played  8 teams in the bottom half ,   Of the 4 matches against the top half   3 draws and 1 win !     we have picked up 21 points so if we were to carry on inthat trend we would yield 83 points    Just enough to clinch 2nd spot ?   So in short we need 20 points in each 1/4 !

Wolves will win the leauge I think. If we are in tiop six Im more than happy. Midtable was my prediction. Top 2? So far we are in the race. We looks good all over the pitch and are hard to beat. We can make it but more realistic top ten, but we dont know. At the moment I have no fear in other teams. Norwich, Boro, Derby will climb I think but anyway Always believe, COYR!!!

A quarter of the season gone and we have 21 points, so on that calculation we should get a minimum of 80 points, which would probably not be enough, but should be for top 6, however Monkeh thinks we will be nowhere near the play offs,:sad26: he is a happy little monkey isn't he? 

To me an important factor is we are not conceding, and only lost 1...any team that has ambitions to win the league can only afford to lose 6-8...so yes possible. 

This league is so close, there is so much luck involved.

We are one wins difference between being 4th or sitting 10th.

Bobby Reid's disallowed goal is the difference between us being 4th or 2nd.

It's all well talking about not losing games, but we've had six draws this season already.

3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw...it makes a massive difference.

We could not lose for 3 games, draw 0-0 in all of them, and we'd have 3 points...and people would say we haven't lost.

We could lose 0-1, 0-1, and then win 2-0....we'd have 3 points, but have only won one from 3, but still have the same points and GD.

You can look at performances etc, of which imo, we do look better than last season....however, it still is all about fine margins.

12 games in...we are one win difference between being mid table or 4th. It's that close.

10 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Thought I'd get this in before the Leeds game - in case we take a painful defeat - but how many of you feel we can finish top 2 this season?

For me, it is within our reach - especially if our squad can be strengthened by 1 or 2 quality players, with at least 1 in the middle of the park.  Look at the table now, Wolves, Cardiff and Sheff Utd - hardly intimidating or huge clubs.   In our favour, we have a powerful striker who is going to get better as the season progresses, we have Bobby Reid in the form of his life, we've put together a very good, tough defence - and we seem to have forged a strong team spirit again with a hungry group of players.  Perhaps the only problem is the continued successful management of our large squad and ensuring those not in the team remain content with their position.

And yes it is far too early to discuss the chance of this, but I'm interested to know our current mind-set.  Could this be a season to celebrate an unexpected automatic promotion?

I think this season is maybe unlikely, I really believe next season could finally be our time.

5 hours ago, INCRED said:

We are in a position to challenge and that’s all at the moment. If this group of players can sustain the current consistency and add in a bit of Lady Luck when it comes to injuries and suspensions then who knows.

I bought a ST for the first time this season after 40+ years because I saw something that gave me that feeling this group could actually do well and challenge at the top of the league, so far that hunch is looking promising

glory hunter!!

Archived