IGNORED

City / Leeds memories and connections

cidered abroad

I've just been given a battered second hand copy of Jack Charlton's autobiography and I've now got to the time in his career when he became a regular starter in 1955.

He makes reference to the players who were at Leeds when he played his first game a couple of years earlier and one of them, Tommy Burden, joined City in October 1954 to become one of our most influential players in the team that won the Third (South) title later that season. Our last title until the Cotts team. Burden, who played as a part timer due to a management position at Clarks Shoes in Street, was a regular until 1961, when he retired  to go full time at Clarks. I would put him among my top ten City midfielders.

Charlton, after National Service, went back into the Leeds team in late September 1955, just after City had played them at Ashton Gate, the first season of Second Division football at City since 1932. He talks at length about someone I regard as one of the greatest players I've ever seen live, in that league game, and that includes Eusebio, Best, Bobby Charlton, Di Stefano.

John Charles, of Leeds, Wales, Juventus and a few others later in his career. A giant of a defender, who could also perform equally as well, in midfield and up front. Juventus chartered a plane to take him back home to Leeds, seriously ill in the last week of his life, that's how much they regarded him.

And of course, this little walk down memory lane wouldn't be complete with reference to another Leeds giant who we had for three years late in his career. Big Norman Hunter, who I, probably like many outside of Leeds, thought of as just a hard clogger until he arrived at Ashton Gate. What a superb, classy, centre back! Alright, he could only stand on his right foot, but he was so good with the left, he didn't need it. And was he hard? Yes but as hard as he went in on forwards, he was able to take it and keep on going. A lesson there for modern gutless xxxxx like McFadzean last week, going down theatrically clutching their heads when not hurt.

And the sight of Hunter running around Ashton Gate like a demented idiot after scoring against his former club, will live with me forever. Is that the one where his boot came off as he shot?

Finally, the day that my late wife went to her first football match. Tuesday February 19th 1974. She sat quietly in her seat while all around her was absolute bedlam and asked "What's happened?" There followed the longest twenty minutes of my life as City clung on to the precious 1-0 lead that Donnie Gillies had provided to cause the pandemonium.

Will Saturday's match be up there as one to remember or just another game?

25 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

The 2nd half at home, December 1976, the football was of a skill and quality we will surely never see the likes of again.

We didn't play Leeds between Feb 1974 and April 1977 and never played them at home in December during those four seasons in the top flight. Are you sure it wasn't a fabulous dream you had there?!

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We didn't play Leeds between Feb 1974 and April 1977 and never played them at home in December during those four seasons in the top flight. Are you sure it wasn't a fabulous dream you had there?!

http://www.philjens.plus.com/pistols/pistols/FootballProgrammesAnarchy.htm

(in case of not a fishing expedition)

That abandoned match v Leeds was one of my first games supporting City. I can remember players and the ball just disappearing into the mist, and muffled sounds of boots on leather. Then, in the second half, this mistical match being whistled to a halt, and everybody just slowly vanishing in the fog. A very bizarre experience indeed!

Jon Stead scoring a consolation goal at Elland Road where we lost 3- 1 to a Becchio hatrick 13 November 2010. You could see how much it meant to a Huddersfield boy putting one past the arrogant Leeds.

Sorry to say this but (aside from Cooper, Hunter and Cormack) I hate the Club. fans, stadium, coppers and the city. Up itself in a big way. By contrast Sheffield is a warm friendly place.

Went to the game with my wife, son and daughter. When Steady scored and we were celebrating, the coppers didn't like it and pushed past my missus to try and pull my son out of the ground. I said "Leave him alone he's done nothing, I'm not letting go of him"

Horrible ****ers. Looking forward to us doing them.

7 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Jon Stead scoring a consolation goal at Elland Road where we lost 3- 1 to a Becchio hatrick 13 November 2010. You could see how much it meant to a Huddersfield boy putting one past the arrogant Leeds.

Sorry to say this but (aside from Cooper, Hunter and Cormack) I hate the Club. fans, stadium, coppers and the city. Up itself in a big way. By contrast Sheffield is a warm friendly place.

Went to the game with my wife, son and daughter. When Steady scored and we were celebrating, the coppers didn't like it and pushed past my missus to try and pull my son out of the ground. I said "Leave him alone he's done nothing, I'm not letting go of him"

Horrible ****ers. Looking forward to us doing them.

Cormack came from Liverpool.

November 1979 3-1 victory at ER 

Went on CATS (family day out) City went 1 0 down very early, and were sat in the stand with mainly families and started singing City songs all Leeds fans were laughing and taking the p#ss, they were laughing as we equalised, not very happy at 2-1 and very angry at 3-1 (we celebrated but stopped singing) when fortunately the Old Bill arrived to point out to the Leeds fans tha there was an exit at the rear of the terraces and that they didnt need to climb up into the stand to leave!!

11 minutes ago, Super said:

My memory of Leeds was Nicky Hunts performance at ER.

Same here. I've only been to Elland Road once and it was for that game when Hunt gave his professional footballer masterclass. It was a pretty good place for a weekend away on the beers, though, despite the result and that bloody annoying song (and seemingly the only song) their fans insist on singing.

Archived