IGNORED

Celtic are of lower/mid table Championship quality.

Ashtonwurzel

1 minute ago, Red Right Hand said:

Probably not say eight times out of ten but would Derby beat them at Pride Park eight times out of ten?

Would Celtic beat QPR at Celtic Park more often than not? I think they probably would.

Derby would beat Anderlecht maybe once or twice at home - they may be poor in Champions League terms but they are still decent.

Let’s not be under illusions here, Bayern Munich are one of the best teams / clubs in Europe & they regularly destroy teams in the Bundesliga, so does that mean over half of that division is no better than The Championship?

Sounds very much like we’re trying to use #gaslogic here!!

Brendan Rodgers reckons that with the tv money available in the English PL that Celtic would hold their own if they and Rangers entered the PL.

Question is tho - what would happen to the SPL if both Glasgow clubs left? and which clubs would vacate the PL to accomadate them?

I can't imagine any PL chairmen voting in favour of that.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Brendan Rodgers reckons that with the tv money available in the English PL that Celtic would hold their own if they and Rangers entered the PL.

Question is tho - what would happen to the SPL if both Glasgow clubs left? and which clubs would vacate the PL to accomadate them?

Well we’ve allowed Welsh teams into the English leagues, so why not Scottish? The majority of the clubs in Scotland are part-time, similar to the majority of Welsh clubs in the Welsh leagues.

Celtic get what, 60,000 crowds for every home game irrespective of who they are playing? So if they did join The EPL & get all of the financial benefits that come with it (TV money, sponsorship & inflated player values) they would be able to compete for better more expensive players & pay the wages as well, so I see no reason why they couldn’t hold their own, they’d likely be a better club than Burnley, Palace, Watford etc.

30 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Discuss.

Interesting.....A couple of weeks ago I  visited my daughter (born in Bristol) currently living in Edinburgh, close to the Hearts ground. We went with the Hearts fans to an away game at Dundee. Whilst passionate support made for an interesting weekend, I would put the standard at English Div 2... Hearts fans said they played crap...I agreed, but even on a good day they couldn't be a lot better than mid Div 1:yawn:

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There is absolutely no logic in my mind that says Celtic or Rangers have any right to move to the Premier League. 

League 2 and I can see a sensible discussion, but I hate the idea. 

2 minutes ago, City Cat said:

Interesting.....A couple of weeks ago I  visited my daughter (born in Bristol) currently living in Edinburgh, close to the Hearts ground. We went with the Hearts fans to an away game at Dundee. Whilst passionate support made for an interesting weekend, I would put the standard at English Div 2... Hearts fans said they played crap...I agreed, but even on a good day they couldn't be a lot better than mid Div 1:yawn:

BTW, forgot to mention,it cost £25 to watch this crap

38 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Would Derby win away at Anderlecht (just for arguments sake)?

Let's put that result in perspective. Prior to the Anderlecht game Celtic had won once in Europe in their last TWENTY SEVEN outings. Their last clean sheet in Europe?  Five years ago in 2012.

It's absolutely fair game to suggest that a Championship club would've performed better against some of the dross Celtic have faced over the past 5 years in Europe. 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's put that result in perspective. Prior to the Anderlecht game Celtic had won once in Europe in their last TWENTY SEVEN outings. Their last clean sheet in Europe?  Five years ago in 2012.

It's absolutely fair game to suggest that a Championship club would've performed better against some of the dross Celtic have faced over the past 5 years in Europe. 

And many games were against truly bang average European sides in the Europa League. 

The way some go on about Celtic in the Premier League.... next Cardiff will want to play in the Welsh League, win that for a few years and get a pass directly into the Prem.

13 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Well we’ve allowed Welsh teams into the English leagues, so why not Scottish? The majority of the clubs in Scotland are part-time, similar to the majority of Welsh clubs in the Welsh leagues.

Celtic get what, 60,000 crowds for every home game irrespective of who they are playing? So if they did join The EPL & get all of the financial benefits that come with it (TV money, sponsorship & inflated player values) they would be able to compete for better more expensive players & pay the wages as well, so I see no reason why they couldn’t hold their own, they’d likely be a better club than Burnley, Palace, Watford etc.

Celtic have never averaged 60k in their history....last time I went there with Partick Thistle the crowd was 22k - the Celtic home support is largely a myth...from 2012 to 2016 they averaged around 45k....from 1989 to 1995 they didn't average over 29k 

5 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

I would fancy our chances versus Celtic at home for sure, this Saturdays opponents are a better team - IMO.

I would fancy our chances at home. I would against some prem league teams at home. Celtic have some very good players who would walk into any championship team.

I'm surprised that when Rangers got relegated due to their financial irregularities, they didn't just try their luck up through the conference divisions, the league etc. to the PL

But then again... maybe there was a realisation that it might not have been a smooth journey to PL?

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Celtic have never averaged 60k in their history....last time I went there with Partick Thistle the crowd was 22k - the Celtic home support is largely a myth...from 2012 to 2016 they averaged around 45k....from 1989 to 1995 they didn't average over 29k 

I apologise, 2016/17 they averaged 55,476 & I would hazard a guess that it’s been around that level for a few years now & let’s not forget that they are playing bang average teams who tend to get less than 10,000 turn up to their own home games & when they have to play the same poor opposition 4 times a season, I think they could be forgiven for not selling out every game. As has been acknowledged, The SPL is of a poor standard generally.

And let’s not forget, Rangers had been missing from The SPL for a fair few years....

If they were playing teams in The EPL (Man City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham & even the likes of Everton & Leicester etc) they would be selling out their home games & they would be bringing a large away following for every game.

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Several years in the high 50 thousands. Still a fair number watching 2 or less league games of relevance per season.

image.png.10dbe99e944dbf87df80384b6c6a29e3.png

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Those who know me will know I am as far removed from being a Celtic fan as it is possible to be! However, are you aware they won three European Champions League qualifying games in 2016 including a clean sheet.....well within your 27 outings stat....and your 'since 2012' stat....and they've kept plenty of clean sheets in Europe since 2012 (e.g. 1-0 at home to Qarabag and 0-0 away at Qarabag in 2015, 4-0 home victory vs Reykjavik and 0-1 victory away at Reykjavik in 2014 etc etc)  - I can't believe I'm sticking up for 'that' club but just wanted to put right inaccuracies in the spirit of balance and fairness...

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Those who know me will know I am as far removed from being a Celtic fan as it is possible to be! However, are you aware they won three European Champions League qualifying games in 2016 including a clean sheet.....well within your 27 outings stat....and your 'since 2012' stat....and they've kept plenty of clean sheets in Europe since 2012 (e.g. 1-0 at home to Qarabag and 0-0 away at Qarabag in 2015, 4-0 home victory vs Reykjavik and 0-1 victory away at Reykjavik in 2014 etc etc)  - I can't believe I'm sticking up for 'that' club but just wanted to put right inaccuracies in the spirit of balance and fairness...

OK, I worded that incorrectly as I wasnt including qualifying games against victors of minor leagues. Taken from the Daily Telegraph:

Screenshot_2017-10-18-22-25-13.png

Archived