IGNORED

Celtic are of lower/mid table Championship quality.

Ashtonwurzel

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Let's put that result in perspective. Prior to the Anderlecht game Celtic had won once in Europe in their last TWENTY SEVEN outings. Their last clean sheet in Europe?  Five years ago in 2012.

It's absolutely fair game to suggest that a Championship club would've performed better against some of the dross Celtic have faced over the past 5 years in Europe. 

Frankly having seen the defending for PSG's 4th goal tonight, O'Driscoll era City might have had a chance of beating Anderlecht.

2 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Frankly having seen the defending for PSG's 4th goal tonight, O'Driscoll era City might have had a chance of beating Anderlecht.

Quite. Having watched probably more than most I can confirm the Jupiler League in Belgium is a poor standard. That Celtic's other 'results' in Europe over the past 5 years have come against Qarabag of Azerbaijan and Reykjavik of Iceland tells you everything you need to know.

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Celtic have never averaged 60k in their history....last time I went there with Partick Thistle the crowd was 22k - the Celtic home support is largely a myth...from 2012 to 2016 they averaged around 45k....from 1989 to 1995 they didn't average over 29k 

You can’t beat lies, damned lies and statistics. To be fair crowds in the 80s and 90s were poor everywhere, I watched City At Newcastle during this time in front of 11000 at St James Park and have a look at Man Utd average during 80’ and early 90’s, it might surprise you. Celtic’s average over the last 20 years is somewhere around 55000, not bad considering the monotonous rubbish that is Scottish football

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

OK, I worded that incorrectly as I wasnt including qualifying games against victors of minor leagues. Taken from the Daily Telegraph:

Screenshot_2017-10-18-22-25-13.png

Well the teams they beat may have viewed them as being 'victors of a minor league' too???!!! No worries though, perhaps the media see the advantage in being selective too - by 'European games' they mean 'some, but not all European games'....

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Well we’ve allowed Welsh teams into the English leagues, so why not Scottish? The majority of the clubs in Scotland are part-time, similar to the majority of Welsh clubs in the Welsh leagues.

Celtic get what, 60,000 crowds for every home game irrespective of who they are playing? So if they did join The EPL & get all of the financial benefits that come with it (TV money, sponsorship & inflated player values) they would be able to compete for better more expensive players & pay the wages as well, so I see no reason why they couldn’t hold their own, they’d likely be a better club than Burnley, Palace, Watford etc.

Not quite.... the Welsh teams who have a place in the English football league existed before the Welsh FA, and a Welsh football league existed. 

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

All my replies in this thread are sticking up for Celtic's European record....

Oh yes , Previous Champions of Europe, as I say, where does this hatred come from? You didn’t go to Hengrove did you and get chased home by the Westers from Bernadettes?

2 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Not quite.... the Welsh teams who have a place in the English football league existed before the Welsh FA, and a Welsh football league existed. 

Well either way, they aren’t English so they shouldn’t be in the English leagues personally!

The Scottish leagues are hardly full-time professional & it’s probably only going to be a matter of time before some of them start going to the wall because in reality there are probably only about 6 teams that are able to financially stand up for themselves.

If we’re allowing Welsh teams (non-English) to play in the English leagues, then why not Scottish? I’m sure there has even been discussions with regards to Barcelona possibly joining The EPL because of this independence malarkey that has been going on in Spain, why? It’s all about money.

11 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Well either way, they aren’t English so they shouldn’t be in the English leagues personally!

The Scottish leagues are hardly full-time professional & it’s probably only going to be a matter of time before some of them start going to the wall because in reality there are probably only about 6 teams that are able to financially stand up for themselves.

If we’re allowing Welsh teams (non-English) to play in the English leagues, then why not Scottish? I’m sure there has even been discussions with regards to Barcelona possibly joining The EPL because of this independence malarkey that has been going on in Spain, why? It’s all about money.

I agree with the highlighted point.

The only reason the Welsh teams are in the English League is because they had no other options. Barcelona is a different situation all together. I wouldn't say discussions but more media speculation, in my opinion.

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Those who know me will know I am as far removed from being a Celtic fan as it is possible to be! However, are you aware they won three European Champions League qualifying games in 2016 including a clean sheet.....well within your 27 outings stat....and your 'since 2012' stat....and they've kept plenty of clean sheets in Europe since 2012 (e.g. 1-0 at home to Qarabag and 0-0 away at Qarabag in 2015, 4-0 home victory vs Reykjavik and 0-1 victory away at Reykjavik in 2014 etc etc)  - I can't believe I'm sticking up for 'that' club but just wanted to put right inaccuracies in the spirit of balance and fairness...

Hold on a second, two clean sheets against Qarabag? That changes everything. Let them in immediately.

I believe Celtic have progressed over the more recent years and have a squad capable of playing in the prem. If this was asked say 5 years ago they were playing at a low level compared to now, I would say League 1/Championship standard. Just look at Aberdeen and Rangers, both squads will be at bottom end of championship and they make up the top 3! 

Personally I feel the main downfall for Scottish league football is the off field religious/political beliefs, most teams struggle for support because of you live near Edinburgh you’ll either support Hearts or Hibbs, then the rest of Scotland chose Rangers or Celtic depending on said beliefs. Exceptions for Aberdeen and Inverness who are so far in the middle of nowhere they only really have one team to support 

Celtic are made up of failed, average or over the hill ex prem players. 

Currently they would not hold their own.... Give them several years of premier league money and they probably would. But they have no divine right to it. 

They pull it out the bag every now and then in the champs league but I don't view it any differently to when a championship or league one club manage to shock a top premier league team in the fa cup. Upping your game for a one off game is one thing doing it consistently over 38 is another matter entirely. 

Personally with their current squad I think they would struggle in the championship. 

42 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Celtic are made up of failed, average or over the hill ex prem players. 

Currently they would not hold their own.... Give them several years of premier league money and they probably would. But they have no divine right to it. 

They pull it out the bag every now and then in the champs league but I don't view it any differently to when a championship or league one club manage to shock a top premier league team in the fa cup. Upping your game for a one off game is one thing doing it consistently over 38 is another matter entirely. 

Personally with their current squad I think they would struggle in the championship. 

Dembele and Griffiths will score goals, behind them is where I see a severe drop in standard. With as you said mostly failed prem players. They have had a few starlets come through, imagine if they kept Van Dijk and Forster

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Well we’ve allowed Welsh teams into the English leagues, so why not Scottish? The majority of the clubs in Scotland are part-time, similar to the majority of Welsh clubs in the Welsh leagues.

I think it's been looked into before and it was basically said they would have to join at the bottom and work their way up. I was actually surprised that when Rangers were relegated all the way down in Scotland they didn't decide to do this.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Those who know me will know I am as far removed from being a Celtic fan as it is possible to be! However, are you aware they won three European Champions League qualifying games in 2016 including a clean sheet.....well within your 27 outings stat....and your 'since 2012' stat....and they've kept plenty of clean sheets in Europe since 2012 (e.g. 1-0 at home to Qarabag and 0-0 away at Qarabag in 2015, 4-0 home victory vs Reykjavik and 0-1 victory away at Reykjavik in 2014 etc etc)  - I can't believe I'm sticking up for 'that' club but just wanted to put right inaccuracies in the spirit of balance and fairness...

Qarabag and Reykjavik! Stand corrected folks. 

5 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think it's been looked into before and it was basically said they would have to join at the bottom and work their way up. I was actually surprised that when Rangers were relegated all the way down in Scotland they didn't decide to do this.

I fully understand that & have no issue with regards to why they aren’t in the English leagues but the original post was comparing Celtic’s ability to compete in The Championship & I was trying to make the point that if they were in the English leagues, they would have considerably more financial resources & be in much better position to compete with us.

6 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I know this isn't a popular view on here at all (and I fully expect a few 'rubbish' reacts :P) but I'd love to see the Old Firm clubs playing in England. Both huge clubs in their own right and would shake things up.

Obviously they'd have to start at the bottom and work their way up - but I'd quite like to see it happen.

I vaguely remember when Rangers were relegated some tentative discussions about them taking over a small northern club in financial trouble and 'moving' the club to Glasgow to become Rangers ala MK Dons. Think it was Bury or Stockport.

11 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Well we’ve allowed Welsh teams into the English leagues, so why not Scottish?

that's not quite right. the league was English but a very Northern league. English and Welsh teams were allowed in to balance it out to make English and welsh and south west and southern league football so teams had teams nearby to play against. At times the Scots and English Welsh league had different rules!!!

21 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

If a club comes bottom of the Premiership the prize (!!) is £50m if a club wins the Scottish Premiership the prize is £1m. Therefore of course Celtic or whoever might win that League cannot compete on wages. Give them £50m plus and of course they would within a few years alongside crowds of 50k plus .

Exactly. I think if both clubs were in the Premier League on that money - within 5-6 seasons they'd both be top 8 or top 6.

Archived