IGNORED

Biggest City sick note

Major Isewater

Some players , by physiology or bad luck always seem to spend more time on the physio's couch than on the pitch I just started thinking of some players that disappointed.

Lee Matthews , this forward had so much potential and looked the business. He was part of the " Lee " amigos that underperformed big time for us . 

Christian Ribeiro , young assured , classy defender , should have played regularly for City and Wales but whilst here seemed made of glass . 

Thankfully the lad , who is still only 27 , has had something of a career with Scunthorpe and currently doing well at Oxford but with respect to both clubs , not  what his career promised when he broke through here at such a young age .

There are numerous others,

Steve Brooker , was a tough competitive forward who knew where the net was. Too often injured , never fulfilled his potential.

There was accusations of incompetence towards our medical team , playing him when injured, but he also ignored their advice and took a plane trip which aggravated the treatment and it was all swept under the carpet.

These three , if they had stayed fit would have been important to the success of our club .

I'm sure there are many more I'll leave you to add them to the list .

There is one for me that stands out but he was not regularly injured , just once and that finished his career.

Lee Matthews is defintely up there. If he could have stayed fit for more than 2 minutes, then he could have been a decent striker at this level, maybe even have had a crack at the next level....

For me, Billy Mercer. Again if he was able to play regularly, I think at that time instead of us finishing just short of the playoffs, we would have been much higher in the table as he would have won us another 12-15 points just by being in goal - he was that good. Unfortunately for him and us, he couldnt get over the injury(ies) whilst here and had to retire. Currently at Burnley as a coach.

Bit of an off piste one.. but David Clarkson. 

Had a terrible illness when here and lost lots of weight. Don't think he was ever the same again and as a result his career never really took off.

When he was fit and firing he had a couple of brilliant moments and showed glimpses of what he could do. 

Wasn't consistently good enough for us though and I believe lots of that is down to his illness/injury issues.

Was always taught that if you go in for a tackle half heartedly, you will injure yourself.  If you give it 100% you will injure someone else :)

We've certainly had a few crocks over the years, but so has every other team. Gary O'Neill is the latest and Milan of course, but Matty Taylor doesn't seem to have been fit much this season.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Some players , by physiology or bad luck always seem to spend more time on the physio's couch than on the pitch I just started thinking of some players that disappointed.

Lee Matthews , this forward had so much potential and looked the business. He was part of the " Lee " amigos that underperformed big time for us . 

Christian Ribeiro , young assured , classy defender , should have played regularly for City and Wales but whilst here seemed made of glass . 

Thankfully the lad , who is still only 27 , has had something of a career with Scunthorpe and currently doing well at Oxford but with respect to both clubs , not  what his career promised when he broke through here at such a young age .

Steve Brooker , was a tough competitive forward who knew where the net was. Too often injured , never fulfilled his potential.

There was accusations of incompetence towards our medical team , playing him when injured, but he also ignored their advice and took a plane trip which aggravated the treatment and it was all swept under the carpet.

These three , if they had stayed fit would have been important to the success of our club .

I'm sure there are many more I'll leave you to add them to the list .

There is one for me that stands out but he was not regularly injured , just once and that finished his career.

I think you've nailed it there Major.  Of the three, Brooker was the greatest loss for me.  I always thought he compared with Dean Ashton, who got an England call-up and was similarly affected by injury, and could have played at a higher level if he had any kind of consistent fitness.  Ribeiro seems to have overcome his appalling fitness record, but too late to make a significant impact on the game.  I never really rated Matthews...

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think you've nailed it there Major.  Of the three, Brooker was the greatest loss for me.  I always thought he compared with Dean Ashton, who got an England call-up and was similarly affected by injury, and could have played at a higher level if he had any kind of consistent fitness.  Ribeiro seems to have overcome his appalling fitness record, but too late to make a significant impact on the game.  I never really rated Matthews...

Brooker is a good suggestion, as is Gavin Williams above who people seem to have forgotten a bit. Very classy midfielder and is probably exactly the sort of player this current team is missing.

I notice he's manager at Merthyr now who Cameron Pring went out on loan too. Presumably he's another one - like Sproule and McCombe - who LJ/Tinnion keep in touch with.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Any player we ever signed on loan from Rangers.

Who was that striker who broke down about 5 minutes in to his debut, leaving the club with no striker and 12 months of his wages to pay?

Andrius Velicka - didn't something similar happen to Danny Wilson? Although he might've been on loan from Liverpool at the time.

17 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Surely the 'Doc' is a contender.........great player when playing but always seemed to get injured just as he was getting a run of games going 

Replace the word injured with pissed,

still a cracking player though

36 minutes ago, BITW said:

Brooker was a proper old school striker. I’m convinced he would of scored plenty at this level if he wasn’t crocked!

He was a tough bugger. He upset many a defender with his physicallity despite his relatively small stature. Decent goalscorer as well.

He refused to play if he had a slight knock. Very adamant that he'd only play if he was 100% fit.

Not the "conventional injury" but Christian Roberts playing most games pissed surely is a contender?

His pace would of been an asset at any level, if he had his head in the right place i'm sure he could of played higher.

However he still scored two of my favourite goals ever, so he is forgiven! 

30 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Surely the 'Doc' is a contender.........great player when playing but always seemed to get injured just as he was getting a run of games going 

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Replace the word injured with pissed,

still a cracking player though

Spot on @Monkeh his lifestyle choices at the time (may be the same now I don't know) were most defintely the reason he didn't really "kick on" much.

The whole squad around that time weren't much better though to be fair - Peacock, Roberts just to name a few. If Tommy was to come into the squad in this day and age, would he have made the same choices? I don't think he would. I also think that if that were the case, we would be looking at a multi million pound player who actually may be playing in the premiership.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Christian Ribeiro was certainly a promising young player and always looked classy whenever I saw him play. He was tipped for greater things by many knowledgeable experts, including many on here (where is Big Dave now?) but, unfortunately, he was held back by constant injuries.

I am assuming the player to whom you refer last on your list was Paul Cheesley, and I was in the Open End that fateful evening when he got injured against Stoke.

Interestingly, the official Bristol Sport site states that he was injured whilst playing against Derby County, but I was there, and whilst the goalkeeper with whom he collided was Peter Shilton, who of course, later played for both Derby and Notts Forest, the match in which PC suffered his injury was most certainly against Stoke - I also recall Peter Shilton being booed whenever he played against City subsequently, and I always thought this somewhat unfair as my recollection was that PC simply fell awkwardly after the challenge with Shilton. 

Some may disagree, but that description of one career-ending injury could also have applied to a certain Nicky Maynard....

Gary O'Neil just for the wages - 15K per week (reportedly) - great pedigree though :P 

Ribeiro - such a shame for what seemed to be a promising young full back at the time.

One person who wasn't necessarily a sick note, more just a waste of wages was Jody Morris (still dont know what he actually did other than get p**sed up)

Has to be Ribiero, wasn't the saying at the time that he was' made of glass'?

I agree with the earlier comment about Billy Mercer, he was class!

Of the present crop, GON is probably the worst one and Matty T concerns me as he seems to be injured a lot as does Milan.

Thinking back to the halcyon days of the late 70's, we hardly had any injuries (PC apart) as we always seemed to play pretty much the same team week in week out! The likes of Mann, Tainton, Merrick, Sweeney, Ritchie, Gow etc never seemed to be injured, unless I'm rose tinting it.

Archived