IGNORED

Biggest City sick note

Major Isewater

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Has to be Ribiero, wasn't the saying at the time that he was' made of glass'?

I agree with the earlier comment about Billy Mercer, he was class!

Of the present crop, GON is probably the worst one and Matty T concerns me as he seems to be injured a lot as does Milan.

Thinking back to the halcyon days of the late 70's, we hardly had any injuries (PC apart) as we always seemed to play pretty much the same team week in week out! The likes of Mann, Tainton, Merrick, Sweeney, Ritchie, Gow etc never seemed to be injured, unless I'm rose tinting it.

I think at the time you weren't allowed injuries , you were injected with cortisone, strapped up and sent out to play .

One of the reasons why so many ex-pros from the past are crocked today. 

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He was a tough bugger. He upset many a defender with his physicallity despite his relatively small stature. Decent goalscorer as well.

He refused to play if he had a slight knock. Very adamant that he'd only play if he was 100% fit.

That doesn't correspond totally with my knowledge .

Wasn't it the fact that he was played when not totally fit and that the contention was that the club  didn't provide the proper medical care for him ? 

I thought Brooker was a tough character. 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Wasn't it the fact that he was played when not totally fit and that the contention was that the club  didn't provide the proper medical care for him ? 

I must say Major, I much prefer this sensible football discussion mode you've been in recently.

Doesn't make my eyes-water quite so much!

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

No doubt he was tough! I was told about Brooker not playing if he wasn't 100% fit from a man who was very involved at the club at the time.

The medical care he received was certainly questionable. Although the club had a club doctor it was the physio department that was in question. 

I guess we'll never know what actually happened.

2 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Wages paid against minutes played O'Neil must be our most expensive signing ever.

23 starts out of 53 last season.

Will probably miss the first 30 games in all comps this season due to latest operation.

So 23 starts out of a possible 83.

Still trying to work out how the above deserved a rubbish reaction Monkeh 

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

What ever you do, don't call him a sicknote on Twitter (even as banter). He doesn't like it much...

A quick Twitter search - assuming you go by the same name on there - shows you tweeted him directly (tagging him) over several successive days about his injury. Must've got a bit annoying, I'd have probably blocked too!

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Some players , by physiology or bad luck always seem to spend more time on the physio's couch than on the pitch I just started thinking of some players that disappointed.

Lee Matthews , this forward had so much potential and looked the business. He was part of the " Lee " amigos that underperformed big time for us . 

Christian Ribeiro , young assured , classy defender , should have played regularly for City and Wales but whilst here seemed made of glass . 

Thankfully the lad , who is still only 27 , has had something of a career with Scunthorpe and currently doing well at Oxford but with respect to both clubs , not  what his career promised when he broke through here at such a young age .

There are numerous others,

Steve Brooker , was a tough competitive forward who knew where the net was. Too often injured , never fulfilled his potential.

There was accusations of incompetence towards our medical team , playing him when injured, but he also ignored their advice and took a plane trip which aggravated the treatment and it was all swept under the carpet.

These three , if they had stayed fit would have been important to the success of our club .

I'm sure there are many more I'll leave you to add them to the list .

There is one for me that stands out but he was not regularly injured , just once and that finished his career.

With all due respect mate I think you have to take a look at your definitions. 'Sicknote", some one in the office who is always off sick, footballer who hardly ever plays? So I have to  disagree about Brooker, unfair to put him in the sicknote category and I'd argue his career was short because of failures by our medical team to which you refer .A 'Sicknote" to me that means a player "of an inexplicably delicate disposition" eg like Malcolm Graham going back to the Peter Doherty era. The last thing that Brooker was was delicate or vulnerable to minor injury . He wasn't "too often injured" with us. Later yes when he was struggling to resurrect his career, especially with other clubs, following his major knee injury. It has to be admitted he had a short career which wasn't helped by his build,  not especially tall but 14 stone of meat and gristle, so when he hit somebody they stayed hit. On the other side one suspected that he would one day take a leg injury because of his weight and point of balance. Imagine going over on an ankle with that lot above it? He was more like a rugby player. He wasn't one to have niggley injuries like Matthews. Ribeiro was again a player I thought had the wrong build for football - top heavy? And like a few others mentioned above seriously injured within minutes of starting a game. We had 3 very good years out of Brooker which I will always treasure. City messed up Brooker's operation and recovery from his only major injury to the knee at Port Vale (ironically) which effectively was the start of the end of his career with a succession of other injuries. Other than that he wasn't out that much. Made 93 appearances in his peak period for us between 2004 and 2007, scoring 34 goals. Very good ratio.

Will never forget his "comeback" goal against Norwich at the Gate that took us top of the Championship.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Spot on @Monkeh his lifestyle choices at the time (may be the same now I don't know) were most defintely the reason he didn't really "kick on" much.

The whole squad around that time weren't much better though to be fair - Peacock, Roberts just to name a few. If Tommy was to come into the squad in this day and age, would he have made the same choices? I don't think he would. I also think that if that were the case, we would be looking at a multi million pound player who actually may be playing in the premiership.

With Tommy I hope it was a case of he didn't realise just how good he could have been. I believe if he applied himself correctly he could have been knocking on the door of some really big PL clubs.

14 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Michael Bridges surely is a shocking omission. Part of Brian Tinnion's not so magnificent 7.

Classic. Tripped over his dog lead. Imagine even a schoolboy staying off and giving that as an explanation?

Got to say that the Club has definitely ditched the idea that an ex-international, ex-Premiership player who has been out for a substantial time can magically reinvent their heyday playing for City.

11 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

There was at least a week's gap between tweets. Come now...

Someone said he had dodgy hamstrings and was gone within minutes. Others called him a fraud or a case of £15k pissed up a wall...

Quite chuffed I lasted so long...

Don't worry, I only tweeted when a team lineup was announced for a pre-season game and simply put #announceinjury he then blocked me. Seems to be a little bit on the easily offended side. 

3 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

Don't worry, I only tweeted when a team lineup was announced for a pre-season game and simply put #announceinjury he then blocked me. Seems to be a little bit on the easily offended side. 

Perhaps he doesn't particulary like people being trolling/being a knob towards him for things beyond his control?

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Perhaps he doesn't particulary like people being trolling/being a knob towards him for things beyond his control?

Fair, I suppose in this day in age where everyone is becoming easily offended its easier to block everybody when they have the slightest negative thing to say. Next it will be called a hate crime for saying #announceinjury, expecting the 6am knock now. :facepalm:

2 hours ago, palmerred said:

Michael Bridges surely is a shocking omission. Part of Brian Tinnion's not so magnificent 7.

To be fair I completely forgot about him. Shows how much of an influence he made outside of the medical room!!

3 hours ago, pride of the west said:

Paul mortimer springs to mind. Quality when fit but never seemed to manage more than 2 games in a row

He was on Radio 5 this morning funnily enough - talking about the FA and racism. Can't remember the organisation he represented.

If he was fit and much younger he would be the sort of creative midfielder we are missing.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

image.png.356fbe858b7febd610ef23ad0c77bfa0.png

:P

Getting salty was because he was having a row with someone on there... lolz.

The tweet that got me blocked was sent to the City Twitter account and said "any update on Gaz injury? Thought not #sicknote" or summat like that. Was sent end of Sept.

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Getting salty was because he was having a row with someone on there... lolz.

The tweet that got me blocked was sent to the City Twitter account and said "any update on Gaz injury? Thought not #sicknote" or summat like that. 

Yeah reading those he does seem a bit oversensitive. You'd think a seasoned player like him at his age would just ignore it. Celebrities blocking is a bit 2012.

Archived