IGNORED

Imagine the chaos around AG8 if this actually happens

phantom

• Admin

Marvin Rees plans to knock down Cumberland Basin and rename it ‘Western Harbour’

He wants to demolish Plimsoll Swing Bridge and build a new crossing closer to the Suspension Bridge

The “ugly road network” across the Cumberland Basin is to be knocked down and turned in to a housing development called ‘Western Harbour’, Bristol Mayor, Marvin Rees has announced.

The shock scheme was revealed during Mr Rees’ ‘State of the City Address’ on Wednesday, October 18 (you can read it in full here) which laid out the Bristol Mayor’s vision for the future of the city.

The 45-year-old set out his plan while discussing Bristol’s continuing struggle with housing stock.

While there was little detail, it appears Mr Rees has a self-confessed “ambition plan” to tear down the Brunel Way road network and Plimsoll Swing Bridge.

In its place he hopes to develop housing on the west of Spike Island and on “both sides of the Avon”. He did not elaborate on where this land might be, but it is possible homes might be built at the top end of Greville Smyth Park and on the allotments which sit under Brunel Way.

To ensure traffic can still travel between the western and northern parts of the city, the Bristol Mayor is proposing to build a new road crossing to replace the swing bridge further up river and closer to the Suspension Bridge.

He hinted the whole development may be renamed 'Western Harbour'.

Mr Rees said: “We are putting together a proposal that will tear down the old, ugly road network across the western end of the harbour, build a new bridge across the river at a lower point and develop the available land on both sides of the Avon, bringing more affordable housing to the city centre, extending the harbour as a residential area to the west.

“We may even rename the Cumberland Basin, the Western Harbour. I hope to unveil these plans soon.”

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Marvin Rees plans to knock down Cumberland Basin and rename it ‘Western Harbour’

He wants to demolish Plimsoll Swing Bridge and build a new crossing closer to the Suspension Bridge

The “ugly road network” across the Cumberland Basin is to be knocked down and turned in to a housing development called ‘Western Harbour’, Bristol Mayor, Marvin Rees has announced.

The shock scheme was revealed during Mr Rees’ ‘State of the City Address’ on Wednesday, October 18 (you can read it in full here) which laid out the Bristol Mayor’s vision for the future of the city.

The 45-year-old set out his plan while discussing Bristol’s continuing struggle with housing stock.

While there was little detail, it appears Mr Rees has a self-confessed “ambition plan” to tear down the Brunel Way road network and Plimsoll Swing Bridge.

In its place he hopes to develop housing on the west of Spike Island and on “both sides of the Avon”. He did not elaborate on where this land might be, but it is possible homes might be built at the top end of Greville Smyth Park and on the allotments which sit under Brunel Way.

To ensure traffic can still travel between the western and northern parts of the city, the Bristol Mayor is proposing to build a new road crossing to replace the swing bridge further up river and closer to the Suspension Bridge.

Mr Rees said: “We are putting together a proposal that will tear down the old, ugly road network across the western end of the harbour, build a new bridge across the river at a lower point and develop the available land on both sides of the Avon, bringing more affordable housing to the city centre, extending the harbour as a residential area to the west.

“We may even rename the Cumberland Basin, the Western Harbour. I hope to unveil these plans soon.”

The spent nearly 5 years strengthening the walls of the Cumberland Basin to stop them crumbling into the harbour, This was partly because of the weight of housing and roads. Now he wants to build more? It might be an ambition but I don't think it will turn out to be feasible.  

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

bringing more affordable housing to the city centre, extending the harbour as a residential area to the west.

Yeah, absolutely, because building homes in a harbour side development is bound to be affordable isn't it?? How much do they go for these days ?? Just a quick look on right move and I've found a 2 bed apartment for £500,000 and a 3 Bed for close to 1 Million. 

:facepalm:

Shocking idea…I shared it on FB then did wonder if it was a joke/fake news! WTF is he on?

I was looking at photos of CB before the road system was built, it did look lovely…but that view when you come round the corner from Bower Ashton to Hotwells, is one of the best in the world (IMO). How dare he ruin it! :protest:

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

In other words, he's dreaming.

This comes down to 'other people's money'. If he can't get it, then it's down to PFI.

I've seen the 'tram system', the 'Bristol Arena' (a debacle in the making), our own 'Ashton Vale Stadium', 'the blue few plans' etc. A litany of disasters.
We probably have the best professional complainers in the country.
Let's be honest, Bristol City Council (supposedly the people with their fingers on the purse strings) couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
Etc.
There are no real leaders.

I'd like to see good change in Bristol.
The changes that I've actually seen have been based on politics and not for the good of the City (this is subjective).

As a City, we are physically large, but due to political incompetence, small minded.
While this continues, we'll always be a backwater.

32 minutes ago, Super said:

The guy is more clueless than George and that's saying something.

Yup, and we thought RedTrousers was bonkers. So I guess the Arena is long forgotten as it was George's project and this is his was of leaving his mark on the city?

This is the bloke who wants to build an underground in a city with an area called the 'floating harbour'. He's an idiot so I wouldn't worry too much about any of his plans getting any further than pipe dreams.

Luckily, I don't live in the 'city' so didn't vote for the berk! 

If this was planned well and the bridge and connections built before they closed the old routes and started the housing, it could actually improve traffic flow - particularly if the new bridge didn't need to swing.

However this is Bristol so expect chaos and gridlock... 

3 minutes ago, Red34 said:

If this was planned well and the bridge and connections built before they closed the old routes and started the housing, it could actually improve traffic flow - particularly if the new bridge didn't need to swing.

However this is Bristol so expect chaos and gridlock... 

How high is it going to be? :ermm:

I do think the road system could be redesigned in some way around Spike Island/Nova Scotia but as a whole the area is quite nice. Building flats would be a dreadful idea.

A pipe dream that will never happen. Will spend millions of taxpayers money on feasibility studies that will keep council workers employed for years and have dozens of meetings where the dreamers will concoct even more plans. Total waste of resources just to make the mayor look like he's doing something.  Spend the money sorting out the existing road network and traffic chaos.

Archived