IGNORED

Imagine the chaos around AG8 if this actually happens

phantom

He is an absolutely useless fraud (and I say that as a regular Labour voter who voted for Red Trousers at the mayoral election).  He has a "vision" for the Cumberland Basin and yet he can't deliver a much needed arena that George had got through planning, and was basically ready to be built.  The Arena was put back from 2018 to 2019 within weeks of him becoming Mayor last year, and then put back to 2020 as soon as 2017 arrived.  Its farcical that Bristol does not have an arena, and that the good people of Bristol have to travel to places to Cardiff, Brum and even Bournemouth to see Arena shows , as well as costing the local economy something like £80,000 a week.  He reckoned that the previous contractor was too expensive, so he's having a best value review.  Of course, it will be much cheaper to build it 3 or 4 years down the line!:grr:

Another gem was him taking credit for the Prince Street Bridge being re-opened, following "delays from the previous (Red Trousers) administration".  What he didn't say was that it was delayed for longer under his regime than George's.  Not that bridge repairing is something that  any normal person would see as a mayoral issue anyway!

His other "vision" is to get power boat racing back in Bristol Docks, yes I'm sure we would all prefer to see fatal crashes in the docks than the Strictly or X-Factor tours (probably not great examples! - how about the Manics or Beyoncé?)  in a 12,000 state of the art concert arena .

Just a thought, there was talk about SL overseeing  an arena in Ashton Vale, does he still own that land?

Affordable housing!!? Yeah alright then. What is it with the people who get into power in Bristol, first Red Trousers, and now this berk.

I say that John from Stockwood, the bloke who's been working on the bins for 20+ years gets voted in. A man of the people, for the people.

I just won't be voting for him as I don't live in Bristol :P

14 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Here is the list of our hapless Mayor's achievements

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-mayor-marvin-rees-publishes-640182 

Can anyone pick one that is actually an achievement worthy of the Mayor of Bristol and, at a rough guess, I would say that he had zero input into at least 95% of these wonderful things.

Crikey, there's some waffle on there without addressing ONE of the city's actual major issues. Transport for one thing, reopening a bridge after works were due to finish is hardly an achievement. 'Ban the box' and 'taxi cops' WTF? :blink:

What a manual manipulator. Just like the cock before him and the leader of his national party - come to think of it, they’re all the same.

What is it that those who think they can enjoy destroying the heritage of the city?

Colston Hall is another fine example. And the Council House.

Hang on. I’ve an idea. Let’s go whole hog Marv. Replace the Portway with a cycle lane or electric cars only. Whilst we’re at it let’s replace the Suspension Bridge with something futuristic.

Too many want to make their mark by ******* things up. And they’re everywhere - even here in Frome you can’t escape the wannabe liberal elite :blink:

Marvin can't even retain a Chief Executive at the council in real life (3 down now during his tenure now, I believe?), but he sure is good at pulling bullshit, pie in the sky schemes out of his arse.

As @New Dazzler rightly says the guy is a total fraud. A party gonk with absolutely no experience of the real world, promoted so far above his pay grade he has a nosebleed.

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

Here is the list of our hapless Mayor's achievements

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-mayor-marvin-rees-publishes-640182 

Can anyone pick one that is actually an achievement worthy of the Mayor of Bristol and, at a rough guess, I would say that he had zero input into at least 95% of these wonderful things.

It reads like a kid’s homework of “what I done over the summer holidays” not the achievements of the executive mayor of the largest city in the south of England outside of London. 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

And I always thought he was a sausage merchant.

Just out interest.

"Cumberland Basin was created as an important part of the floating harbour, which was constructed between 1804 and 1809. The basin was named after the Duke of Cumberland, who visited Bristol in 1803 during the Napoleonic invasion scare and became a freeman of the city.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just out interest.

"Cumberland Basin was created as an important part of the floating harbour, which was constructed between 1804 and 1809. The basin was named after the Duke of Cumberland, who visited Bristol in 1803 during the Napoleonic invasion scare and became a freeman of the city.

Maybe we should rename it the Luke basin, as he too was a Freeman.

3 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

In other words, he's dreaming.

This comes down to 'other people's money'. If he can't get it, then it's down to PFI.

I've seen the 'tram system', the 'Bristol Arena' (a debacle in the making), our own 'Ashton Vale Stadium', 'the blue few plans' etc. A litany of disasters.
We probably have the best professional complainers in the country.
Let's be honest, Bristol City Council (supposedly the people with their fingers on the purse strings) couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
Etc.
There are no real leaders.

I'd like to see good change in Bristol.
The changes that I've actually seen have been based on politics and not for the good of the City (this is subjective).

As a City, we are physically large, but due to political incompetence, small minded.
While this continues, we'll always be a backwater.

Bristol is only a backwater when it boils down to sport, football in particular.

This is coming from a man who shares his time in Manchester (Landlord, so I talk to the youngsters ;-] ), a hick town in West Yorkshire and Leeds.
Bristol only lacks a premier league football team ahhhhummmm and a tram/trolley bus, people up here have only complimentary things to say about the city. From the outside looking in Bristol has a lot going for it and is very much on the pulse, the mayor is a complete tool and has NO chance of getting even half of that built.

50 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Bristol is only a backwater when it boils down to sport, football in particular.

This is coming from a man who shares his time in Manchester (Landlord, so I talk to the youngsters ;-] ), a hick town in West Yorkshire and Leeds.
Bristol only lacks a premier league football team ahhhhummmm and a tram/trolley bus, people up here have only complimentary things to say about the city. From the outside looking in Bristol has a lot going for it and is very much on the pulse, the mayor is a complete tool and has NO chance of getting even half of that built.

Is Bristol being a sporting backwater not a reflection of the city itself?

For the record, I like Marvin Rees. He seems like a nice guy, and he wants to get things done properly. 

With that being said, his two big pushes so far are to tear down the Cumberland Basin and to build an Underground system in Bristol on the cheap. Both in theory are great, but they're both extremely expensive, and in a city that can't build an arena, and will happily blow hundreds of millions on a fancy bus lane I think he's woefully underestimated the state of bureaucracy in this city.

I mean, for ***** sake, the M32 has been the speed of a small country lane for the better part of two years now, maybe longer. If we can't fix a motorway in that time, how will we do any of this?

His first act as Mayor should be to charge any building firm for the MetroBus, the Temple Meads work, and the M32 for disruption by the hour. They did this in London a while back, and it cut building times/costs by half. Once all of this crap is done, then he can dream big.

Archived