IGNORED

Geoff Twentyman at Senior Reds today.

Robbored

Was excellent. Spoke well and handled some tricky questions in a very professional manner. The guys on my table were impressed.

I asked him who the best  City player was he faced. He said that Bob Taylor was top drawer and that When Taylor "got a nudge" he'd be back for more. He explained that the well known photo of him with his hand over Taylor's mouth was after he'd brought Taylor down in the penalty area but no spot kick was awarded. Taylor couldn't believe it and started to mouth off at the referee. Twentyman could see that if Taylor had carried on he'd have got a red card so he put his hand over his mouth to shut him up. Very magnanimous act!

He also reckoned that Robbie Turner was a tough nut. Kenny Hibberd, then the gas assistant manager had told Twentyman that he'd be marking Turner and that " he'll try to cut you". 15 mins later he was having stitches put in a cut above his eye........:facepalm:

He loves his job! and feels privileged to have such a position. He loves interviewing SL "he says it as it is"  and likes interviewing LJ as well.

A very enjoyable lunch with a very knowledgeable speaker.

I quite like him really, loved the derby games when he was playing. Hated most of his team mates but respected him somehow. One of the very, very few players of theirs that I wished had been ours. He has certainly done well switching from football to journalism which can't have been an easy move in the City where he played for the other team.

GT is excellent. Genuinely loves his football and Bristol. He is very professional but if asked a question, is often as honest as he’s able to be! 

I work with GT (although completely different jobs) so I see quite a bit of him. He’s a top notch bloke and the fact that it no longer matters that he used to dress as a clown every other week, speaks volumes for how he conducts himself. 

If you ever get the chance to chat to him privately, some of his “off the record” stories about his football days are fascinating! 

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

He has certainly done well switching from football to journalism which can't have been an easy move in the City where he played for the other team.

He was asked about that. 

He saw a journalism course advertised and he attended two afternoons a week at the then polytechnic at Bower Ashton. Once he achieved a qualification he applied to the BBC who gave him his first media job. He's been there ever since.

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He was asked about that. 

He saw a journalism course advertised and he attended two afternoons a week at the then polytechnic at Bower Ashton. Once he achieved a qualification he applied to the BBC who gave him his first media job. He's been there ever since.

Didn't he leave the BBC for a season to take up the assistant manager job with Holloway at Rovers? Or has that conveniently been deleted from his cv?

I suppose you would rather keep a disastrous career move like that quiet if possible. 

1 minute ago, City Rocker said:

Didn't he leave the BBC for a season to take up the assistant manager job with Holloway at Rovers? Or has that conveniently been deleted from his cv?

I suppose you would rather keep a disastrous career move like that quiet if possible. 

It never got mentioned at all, 

Why would it?  :dunno:

GT is a Liverpool fan who just happened to play for Rovers. Of course the guy is gonna have some fond memories for the club he played for, but no one could ever accuse him of being anti-City, in fact quite the opposite. Shithead Twentyman i've even heard some of our sad friends from the north call him. For "liking City" too much they say.

Top man, Geoff

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Was excellent. Spoke well and handled some tricky questions in a very professional manner. The guys on my table were impressed.

I asked him who the best  City player was he faced. He said that Bob Taylor was top drawer and that When Taylor "got a nudge" he'd be back for more. He explained that the well known photo of him with his hand over Taylor's mouth was after he'd brought Taylor down in the penalty area but no spot kick was awarded. Taylor couldn't believe it and started to mouth off at the referee. Twentyman could see that if Taylor had carried on he'd have got a red card so he put his hand over his mouth to shut him up. Very magnanimous act!

He also reckoned that Robbie Turner was a tough nut. Kenny Hibberd, then the gas assistant manager had told Twentyman that he'd be marking Turner and that " he'll try to cut you". 15 mins later he was having stitches put in a cut above his eye........:facepalm:

He loves his job! and feels privileged to have such a position. He loves interviewing SL "he says it as it is"  and likes interviewing LJ as well.

A very enjoyable lunch with a very knowledgeable speaker.

Hang on, don’t you mean 20man? Or is it selective shortening....

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

GT is a Liverpool fan who just happened to play for Rovers. Of course the guy is gonna have some fond memories for the club he played for, but no one could ever accuse him of being anti-City, in fact quite the opposite. Shithead Twentyman i've even heard some of our sad friends from the north call him. For "liking City" too much they say.

Top man, Geoff

His dad played for Liverpool and was on their books as a trainee but never played for them.  I thought he supported PNE, but may be wrong.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Top man, Geoff

Couldn't agree more.

He came and did a presentation for our chairman  being at the club for 60 years and I got talking to him. He said then that he's not a rovers fan as such, he just played for them. Definitely a Liverpool fan (just as bad).

Was a really decent bloke to chat to and talked in glowing terms about City. 

26 minutes ago, arrytheb said:

Couldn't agree more.

He came and did a presentation for our chairman  being at the club for 60 years and I got talking to him. He said then that he's not a rovers fan as such, he just played for them. Definitely a Liverpool fan (just as bad).

Was a really decent bloke to chat to and talked in glowing terms about City. 

No 'king way is it as bad

Archived