IGNORED

Guardian podcast/Hörður

Pezo

Tiny mention for us on the guardian football podcast, unfortunatly not a great mention in that Iceland are doing really well but no one in Iceland can understand how Hörður isnt getting in our team.

The last thing we want is a reputation for holding players back but we simply have better players in this position for this league. Obviously we looked to loan him out but no one outside the club cares about that type of infomation - all they see is a player doing well for his country not getting a chance at Bristol City.

How do we play our best players while not getting a bad reputation for stopping development or giving opportunity to those that are good enough to play in this league?

I don't really think there's anything we can do about it. I do rate Hörður, but the physicality of the Championship took its toll on him last season and he lost his place. The problem now is that the players in his way are all performing well. Bryan has been excellent, while Wright, Baker and Flint have all performed well at centre half. JB, BW and NB are all similar in age to Magnússon too. I think it's just unfortunate that he's dropped down the pecking order and can't climb back up

I completely agree with the comments of better players are available but I guess what we have to be careful about is getting a reputation for stopping players that are good enough to play in this league. This could lead to future young signings with bags of potential second guessing coming to us.

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I completely agree with the comments of better players are available but I guess what we have to be careful about is getting a reputation for stopping players that are good enough to play in this league. This could lead to future young signings with bags of potential second guessing coming to us.

not really,

We aren't the only team not to play an international player in the first team, we won't be the last ether,

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Pezo said:

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

not really,

We aren't the only team not to play an international player in the first team, we won't be the last ether,

Don't believe it will make one bit of difference, if the players are good enough this will start in any side - if there is a better player in the side they will have to bide their time

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

Don't believe it will make one bit of difference, if the players are good enough this will start in any side - if there is a better player in the side they will have to bide their time

It makes Tuesday’s game v Palace more important that normal.  I know LJ doesn’t like to call them ‘fringe’ players, but those players not getting starts and even those not even getting changed will have their opportunity to keep themselves in the manager’s view.

Hördur is one of those players alongside Hegeler who needs these games and to play well in them.  

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

the best left back in the championship at this moment in time is Bryan,

The best centre back in the championship at this moment in time is Flint

Baker hasn't put a foot wrong,

No room for him in the team at the moment

It's as simple as that in my mind.

With that being said, it's great to have competition. If/when we lose, it gives Hörður an opportunity to step up.

7 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

It's as simple as that in my mind.

With that being said, it's great to have competition. If/when we lose, it gives Hörður an opportunity to step up.

Absolutely the correct thing to be doing for the here and now but its a little short sighted IMO. If we get a reputation for not playing players that could get into other teams (such as being mentioned on a podcast listened to by over 100k people through soundcloud alone let alone itunes) in the league then we could find it difficult in the future. All players want to play (especially young players) and if we're not seen to be giving that opportunity or even be seen to be holding players development then they are going to think twice about joining us.

If this is a problem (no one seems to agree that this is a problem) I just dont know how we solve it, rotating the team is one idea but we have had great success with a settled side so don't really see that as the answer.

As disappointing as it will be for Hördur to not be playing, he’ll accept it to some extent, because the team are doing well.  It’s when the team aren’t or selection policy is inconsistent that players get annoyed.  LJ has been very consistent in his selection so far.

League Games - Steady back 4, rotating the 2xCM’s, rotating the wide men, steady front two.

Cup - keep as many players sharp as possible, they don’t have possession of a league shirt, but they might be needed any time soon, and are almost same level.

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

the best left back in the championship at this moment in time is Bryan,

The best centre back in the championship at this moment in time is Flint

Baker hasn't put a foot wrong,

No room for him in the team at the moment

Whilst I rate Bryan and Flint, I am not sure they are the best in the league in their positions. I think yours is that of a biased view. I would say Greg Cunningham for one is better than Bryan, but that doesn't mean Bryan wont improve past him. 

6 hours ago, hodge said:

Which podcast was this? Like does the Guardian have more than one?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/footballweekly

Excellent podcast, though not as good since James Richardson left.

They have bigged up our gifs on a couple of occasions, most recently loved Flint's POM version.

And yes there are others. I listen to the Science podcast for instance.

15 hours ago, Pezo said:

Absolutely the correct thing to be doing for the here and now but its a little short sighted IMO. If we get a reputation for not playing players that could get into other teams (such as being mentioned on a podcast listened to by over 100k people through soundcloud alone let alone itunes) in the league then we could find it difficult in the future. All players want to play (especially young players) and if we're not seen to be giving that opportunity or even be seen to be holding players development then they are going to think twice about joining us.

If this is a problem (no one seems to agree that this is a problem) I just dont know how we solve it, rotating the team is one idea but we have had great success with a settled side so don't really see that as the answer.

But are we not also being seen as giving opportunities by the use of Kelly, Vyner, Hinds, McCoulskey, O'Dowda, Eliasson etc?

If you apply the logic one way, it has to go the other way as well.

Johnson openly said last season he played far more than expected because of injuries and the likes - maybe it did catch up with him but to generalise, he started earlier in the season and lost his place as the side lost form

He’s still a youngster but I do worry the club think they’ve got more time to develop him than they actually have - he’ll be wanting a move at the end of the season, unless he gets some serious game time

If we are to progress, and to be able to challenge at the right end of the table, then we need to have good quality cover in every position.

If we do then it is inevitable that the understudies will become frustrated at not getting regular football and i would expect it to be inevtiable that some of them would want a move in order to get the chance of more regular first team football. 

All the top club managers must have to contend with this problem all the time, as they are managing a squad of full internationals, but can only give a start to 11 of them. LJ will have to become expert at man management to deal with this issue, but if we have good quality cover throughout the team I also expect him to use a sensible degree of rotation as the season progresses in order to deal with injuries and keep players fresh.

Archived