IGNORED

Sir Geoff Hurst at AG

Super

Yep I went last night, really enjoyed it. A good insight into how the game has changed.

He was very honest about how lucky he was to be a good player in a very good team and also his third goal in the final was it is either going in or in row z by which time the referee will have blown for the end of the match.

I didn't realise he lived in Cheltenham now, I assume he likes his horse racing.

Planning to go down the gate on the 15th November for the Harry Dolman book, that should be a good evening.

3 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Sir Geoff was the guest at one of our football dinners over here a few years back.

Truly a lovely man.

My favourite stories (assuming he uses the same script) were being recognised in the back of a taxi and "where were you when the 4th goal went it?"

Yep!

Asked what's the most important piece of information we ever received at half-time from Alf? Gordon Banks and GH answered the question and it came to Jimmy and he said: "One of my early games under Alf Ramsey, we came in at half-time and he said: 'Jimmy! Put your fag out!'"

Went too, and well worth it! Great to see the man himself stood close to the entrance door before the speech and in good form with the crowd around him. (I personally had a little flirt with the sandwich trays and then went out on the balcony to see the pitch being given light therapy.)

Clearly, he's done the public speaking a few times before and gave a really good account of some of his times and memories. I dare say there are plenty more that he could have regaled us with, but time and modesty may have prevented that. Most of all he comes across as a really honest, humble and grateful person - in marked contrast to some of the antics modern players appear to excel at. There is a genuine aura about him that seems to be less common these days. Football has changed so much since I was a nipper.

Finished the evening and decided to sample a pizza form the lounge below. Yummy for a reasonable £8!

1 minute ago, Erithacus said:

Went too, and well worth it! Great to see the man himself stood close to the entrance door before the speech and in good form with the crowd around him. (I personally had a little flirt with the sandwich trays and then went out on the balcony to see the pitch being given light therapy.)

Clearly, he's done the public speaking a few times before and gave a really good account of some of his times and memories. I dare say there are plenty more that he could have regaled us with, but time and modesty may have prevented that. Most of all he comes across as a really honest, humble and grateful person - in marked contrast to some of the antics modern players appear to excel at. There is a genuine aura about him that seems to be less common these days. Football has changed so much since I was a nipper.

Finished the evening and decided to sample a pizza form the lounge below. Yummy for a reasonable £8!

Did the same well along with the burgers and the small pies!

21 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

When he was over here he mentioned that he does, on average, a couple of engagements per month. Clearly keeps him comfortable.

In recent years we have had, as well as Sir Geoff, evenings with Shilton, Jack Charlton, Dalglish, Keegan, and Bryan Robson. Harry Redknapp was supposed to come last year, but he had to cancel after driving over his wife's foot.

The events are just a fund raiser for the local club and youth football, and don't involve huge sums of money, but the guest and spouse gets flights over, a few nights in a hotel on the beach, etc. The lad who arranges the events approached, if I recall, Giggs's agent to invite him over.: when he advised the agent of the proposed fee, he wasn't sure which was louder: the laughter or the sound of the phone dropping in shock. It was clear that the recent retirees from the game are not bothered about the hassle of a speaking engagement for a few grand.  

6 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

When he was over here he mentioned that he does, on average, a couple of engagements per month. Clearly keeps him comfortable.

In recent years we have had, as well as Sir Geoff, evenings with Shilton, Jack Charlton, Dalglish, Keegan, and Bryan Robson. Harry Redknapp was supposed to come last year, but he had to cancel after driving over his wife's foot.

The events are just a fund raiser for the local club and youth football, and don't involve huge sums of money, but the guest and spouse gets flights over, a few nights in a hotel on the beach, etc. The lad who arranges the events approached, if I recall, Giggs's agent to invite him over.: when he advised the agent of the proposed fee, he wasn't sure which was louder: the laughter or the sound of the phone dropping in shock. It was clear that the recent retirees from the game are not bothered about the hassle of a speaking engagement for a few grand.  

And here lies the problem, agents.

Next time something like this is on, I'll make the effort to attend (busy at the moment). Sounds good.

13 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

The lad who arranges the events approached, if I recall, Giggs's agent to invite him over.: when he advised the agent of the proposed fee, he wasn't sure which was louder: the laughter or the sound of the phone dropping in shock. It was clear that the recent retirees from the game are not bothered about the hassle of a speaking engagement for a few grand.  

Please pass on my number.  More than happy to come and tell stories of the Wiltshire and District Sunday League just before the turn of the century.  Oh what fun we had.  Will bring the missus, so nice hotel.

Stevo

Another England & CITY legend will be at tomorrows game....

Non other than the hero we all still admire Norman (bites yer legs) Hunter... ( not sure of his allegiance for which club this game but sure to get a warm and genuine Ashton Gate welcome)

Hopefully we and Brian blow Leeds away tomorrow but however the game goes... Stormin' Norm we luv's ya!!

(radio Bris played an interview recorded a few years ago with Norm and he had nothing but fond memories of his time with us, from playing colleagues, the fans, and his admiration for the manager Alan Dicks, after meeting AD had no hesitation coming to Bristol and putting pen to paper, sounds like he was more than happy with the choice he made.. :) )

35 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Another England & CITY legend will be at tomorrows game....

Non other than the hero we all still admire Norman (bites yer legs) Hunter... ( not sure of his allegiance for which club this game but sure to get a warm and genuine Ashton Gate welcome)

Hopefully we and Brian blow Leeds away tomorrow but however the game goes... Stormin' Norm we luv's ya!!

(radio Bris played an interview recorded a few years ago with Norm and he had nothing but fond memories of his time with us, from playing colleagues, the fans, and his admiration for the manager Alan Dicks, after meeting AD had no hesitation coming to Bristol and putting pen to paper, sounds like he was more than happy with the choice he made.. :) )

Some players just click with a club despite having no prior affiliation with it and Norm is one of those. TC, Jon Stead, Wilbs, Tins and of course Scotty are other notable examples.

3 hours ago, harvey54 said:

My Mrs went to see Sir G a few years ago at an after dinner thingy. Apparently he was pissed and foul mouthed and left early. It's weird how experiences differ over time but I think he used to have problems with the Source 

She probably saw the wrong one.  - Sir Geoff Thirst aka Unbelievable Geoff !!! 

Archived