IGNORED

Noisy Ashton gate

Topper 123

1 minute ago, Magger1 said:

With biggest crowd for years expected tomorrow let's see all sections of Ashton gate making plenty of noise and urging the players on so Comeon let yourselves go tomorrow and cheer on 3 massive points 

Hopefully the weather doesn't affect the atmosphere.

Gotta be honest, the game against Burton was the first game I had been to at the redeveloped AG and was in a Box. The atmosphere except in the corner under the Heineken sign was very poor and couldn't be heard from the boxes. I always felt when at the old Gate, that the two stands behind the goal were always loud, now it just sounds like one corner of the ground.

3 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Gotta be honest, the game against Burton was the first game I had been to at the redeveloped AG and was in a Box. The atmosphere except in the corner under the Heineken sign was very poor and couldn't be heard from the boxes. I always felt when at the old Gate, that the two stands behind the goal were always loud, now it just sounds like one corner of the ground.

Atmosphere this season has been superb, especially in the singing section (section 82) them being sandwiched in between the dolman and the rest of the south stand really gets everyone going.

Appreciate your opinion from the Burton game, it needed a goal or two to liven the place up, did not help it was one of the lower crowds of the season and Burton who brought about 150 didn't make any noise at all

so there was no one to compete with in terms of noise levels. 

9 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Atmosphere this season has been superb, especially in the singing section (section 82) them being sandwiched in between the dolman and the rest of the south stand really gets everyone going.

Appreciate your opinion from the Burton game, it needed a goal or two to liven the place up, did not help it was one of the lower crowds of the season and Burton who brought about 150 didn't make any noise at all

Yep, 3.7k Leeds fans won't stand quietly. It'll be one heck of a noisy one tomorrow.. hopefully the teams will help it by going for the win rather than parking the bus ala Burton.

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

Yep, 3.7k Leeds fans won't stand quietly. It'll be one heck of a noisy one tomorrow.. hopefully the teams will help it by going for the win rather than parking the bus ala Burton.

Quite right, Leeds will make a racket from the off.. we could do with going 1 up early doors to shut them up a bit. 

But the lads really do need the entire AG crowd to give them a lift tomorrow, three points would be massive. 

12 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

In fairness to him he was in one of they boxes. When you're toward the back of the Dolman or south stand it's very very loud.

I don't think the Ashton Gate atmosphere in general is very good. People won't like this opionion, but it's often true.

Credit to Section 82, they give it a good go, but it's rare that the rest of the stadium back them up. And songs often start and fizzle out within 30seconds. Livens up a little when we score, but that's very easy to sing when we're winning. When were battling the team needs us the most.

I thought last Friday against Burton however, the "Aden Flint is having a party" song was absolutely class, went on for ages and everyone in spells joined in. I also think the contineuous chant of "red army, red army, red army ..." Is effective!

The other songs just have one blast of the chorus, then dies out. I normally sit directly opposite section 82 in the south stand, and when it's just them giving it a good go, even I struggle to work out what being sung. Doubt the away fans really hear. 

I know not everyone goes to football to "chant", but Section 82 deserves to be backed up by all of us, it'll make a massive difference!

Everyone needs to be up for it against Leeds, because they'll be so loud in the Ayteo, good stand to create atmosphere in. 

Let's all get behind the boys,

Up the City x

20 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I don't think the Ashton Gate atmosphere in general is very good. People won't like this opionion, but it's often true.

Credit to Section 82, they give it a good go, but it's rare that the rest of the stadium back them up. And songs often start and fizzle out within 30seconds. Livens up a little when we score, but that's very easy to sing when we're winning. When were battling the team needs us the most.

I thought last Friday against Burton however, the "Aden Flint is having a party" song was absolutely class, went on for ages and everyone in spells joined in. I also think the contineuous chant of "red army, red army, red army ..." Is effective!

The other songs just have one blast of the chorus, then dies out. I normally sit directly opposite section 82 in the south stand, and when it's just them giving it a good go, even I struggle to work out what being sung. Doubt the away fans really hear. 

I know not everyone goes to football to "chant", but Section 82 deserves to be backed up by all of us, it'll make a massive difference!

Everyone needs to be up for it against Leeds, because they'll be so loud in the Ayteo, good stand to create atmosphere in. 

Up the City x

I would agree with this upon until this season, it helps that the players are giving us something to sing about, but I think the position of the singing section has done wonders for the overall atmosphere at AG. 

It's been excellent every game this season even the Plymouth game with a crowd of 9,000. 

It's not a surprise that numerous players as well as LJ have praised the atmosphere. 

55 minutes ago, palmerred said:

I was watching the Burton game on BCTV and I thought it sounded very good for 80% of the game. Could hear Section 82 loud and proud pretty much throughout. Not so long ago a game like that the place would've been like a crypt full of mimes. There's definitely been a major improvement in the atmosphere of late.

Is Leeds sold out, does anyone know?

44 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

I was watching the Burton game on BCTV and I thought it sounded very good for 80% of the game. Could hear Section 82 loud and proud pretty much throughout. Not so long ago a game like that the place would've been like a crypt full of mimes. There's definitely been a major improvement in the atmosphere of late.

Is Leeds sold out, does anyone know?

it was about 24.000 this morning, but pay on the day for home supporters, so could be pretty close to sell out, the weather wont help pay on the day but should still be nearly full.

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Up the City x

Agreed we are not as fervent or passionate as some clubs. My opinion is based on nearly seventy years of supporting City and as we go through a seemingly never ending cycle of one very good year followed by around nine very fallow years, our support is well aware of this. Thus we know that however much we cheer in those lean and often dismal relegation battles, the team will continue to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

We now have a wonderful opportunity to break this way of life. Home wins against the so called big boys like Leeds, our long time Welsh enemy and results at those places where we only win one in ten or twenty like Ipswich and Wolves, may encourage a more consistent vocal support even when things are going against us.

So while it is easy to say cheer the lads and they'll respond, it will need a few seasons of actual positive response to get us a noisy and fervent as some others.

On the other hand because of our low expectations, we are usually less vitriolic with our side than some of those who think it is their divine right to be winners of leagues and cups. Last season's run from October to March was a good example of this.

4 hours ago, palmerred said:

Maybe you were singing and chanting so much that you couldn’t hear the rest of the stadium.

7 hours ago, palmerred said:

Couldn’t disagree more, the atmosphere against Burton was very good considering the action on the pitch and the noise levels all season have been very good.

Personally, I dont think the atmosphere will ever be as good as it was back in the day when we had terracing. I'm not trying to complain as Section 82 do a brilliant job but I think that things are just different now for a multitude of reasons. Not just at AG but pretty much at every ground.

Yes, there is the odd game (mainly really important ones) where the atmosphere is superb and AG is absolutely rocking but Palace play-off game is the last one that I can remember where it was really good.

Maybe it's an age thing? As a kid following in the 80's we almost always had a vociferous support no matter what league we were in or who the opposition were, but since stadiums became all-seater something was lost.

I always used to sing and shout all game as that is what everyone did, but now the majority sit and watch the game and occasionaly get animated which must rub off on the younger generation and that has become the norm.

All things considered, our fans are pretty good for vocal support but we could be a lot better and we could also be a lot worse.

9 hours ago, palmerred said:

The only time the Atyeo has been loud is when the away fans have been in there, maybe bar a few big games in its infancy.

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always had the atmosphere down as reasonable enough tbh.

Frequently, had it down- especially late 90s when I first started going and again since EE reopened in a meaningful way- as one of better atmospheres in modern English game.

Id agree, there weren't many as noisy as AG with the old East End, think we're well up there on our day too now.

Archived