IGNORED

Hegeler- this season's first '1' rating

The Nest Egg

38 minutes ago, Yipikiaye said:

No can’t point your finger at individuals . We lost against a strong Leeds team today . They will probably be in the premiership next year . 

I thought they were bang average to be fair. We made them look like world beaters with our ineptitude.

2 minutes ago, WesM said:

I thought they were bang average to be fair. We made them look like world beaters with our ineptitude.

You're far too generous. Port Vale would have beat us today, but I thought they were better than average. I 

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

What a complete and utter embarrassment today. At least partly responsible for every goal, and did one of the most embarrassing shirt pulls I have ever seen in a game of professional football. Unforgivably slow and tormented by Leeds all day. Should never be trusted again in a City shirt. Ship him out, leave him to rot in the development squad, whatever. About as slow as continental drift, and incapable of communicating with the rest of the back 4.

weirdly enough reacting 'rubbish' doesn't make him suddenly capable of performing a sliding tackle. I don't like going full Thatch but he was just so frustrating all game.

I’ve reacted with a ‘thanks’ because it means nothing apparently..

Actually, I’m thankful that enough people can see you’re talking out your arse.

57 minutes ago, Greedo said:

he was a joke, as was Leko. send him back to Pulis asap. 

Is that the same Leko who everyone was absolutely raving about after he tore Derby apart a few weeks ago? Admittedly he was terrible today but let’s have a bit of perspective. 

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Actually, fair enough as you have a point against Stoke. That being said, I don't think he did well at Cardiff as we bottled it so badly. What concerns me is that when he does do badly, he really ***** the bed and it negatively affects the whole team 

He was very good against Cardiff playing at three at the back though-seems to be his strongest position

14 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Is that the same Leko who everyone was absolutely raving about after he tore Derby apart a few weeks ago? Admittedly he was terrible today but let’s have a bit of perspective. 

I know this thread isn't about him but what's with all the jibes at Leko - he was direct and actually created some of the few chances we had today.

Don't forget what he did against Derby.

For me he made a significantly bigger impact than O'Dowda.

I'm not sure how the comment 'cock got away' enhances this thread in any way whatsoever.  I really do not understand why certain posters have to produce such offensive, ill considered and illiterate posts.  If, as is clearly the case, the poster has a different point of view than Newquay Read, I believe he should at least try to explain his viewpoint rather than resorting to obscenities. It would appear this person has a rather different perspective on life than most of us given his derogatory comments about Mark Little prior to the Bolton game.        

6 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I know this thread isn't about him but what's with all the jibes at Leko - he was direct and actually created some of the few chances we had today.

Odowda didn't beat his man once today. So dissapointed by his performance today. At least leko had a go. 

3 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Odowda didn't beat his man once today. So dissapointed by his performance today. At least leko had a go. 

had a go at making himself stand out with pointless stopovers and chops. fine for youth and reserve football when you're trying to make a name for yourself, but when you're in with the big boys you have to play like a big boy and play for the team, not yourself. but I get that he's young, so hopefully he'll learn that for his own sake. 

Hegeler is clearly not suitable for the English game regardless of which position he plays, he is just not mobile or physical enough and that will simply never change, I just fail to see what some fans and LJ see in him, a left footed CB (Baker) should of been replaced in the team today with another left footed CB (mags) and Hegeler should be no where near the 11 or 18, we had to many passengers out there today Leko, and Woodrow as well as Hegeler which exposed pack who seems to blow hot and cold ( was frozen today) just a strange team selection fami workrate would of certainly been better Than Woodrow . 

Hegeler was poor, but Flint and Pack (and usually I'm a fan of his) had terrible games as well.

I'm not sure what I think about Hegeler. At times he has looked classy but in other games he has been a liability. When we signed him I thought he'd be much more dependable.

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

All four or our defenders were absolute garbage. They cannot work together as a unit. It stank of square pegs in round holes today. 

Nonsense.

Wright was one of our best today, he won more 50/50s than anyone else on the pitch and for a centre back being asked to play right back, his distribution was sound.

He also had absolutely no cover from Leko, yet none of the 3 goals were down to him.

Clearly LJ is trying to avoid picking Hörður, so he could move Wright into his best position and pick Vyner, if Pisano is still injured.

57 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

So that time in the first half he left Luke Ayling for dead and put a brilliant cross on Bobby Reid's head, which he somehow managed to put over the bar, wasn't today then?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

So that time in the first half he left Luke Ayling for dead and put a brilliant cross on Bobby Reid's head, which he somehow managed to put over the bar, wasn't today then?

True I stand corrected. Second part of the first half city were quite good, forgot about that. Pack was also playing well at that point and and Bryan and especially brownhill. Unfortunately it didn't last to the second half. 

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We played 4-4-2.

Frequently it works...today absolutely not.

Hegeler as a centre back? Vs ball playing sides or weak sides- why not.

Games like today..as part of a midfield 3 or between back 4 and midfield.

Anyway 4-4-2 it was..vs a 3 will always cause problems.

More like 4-2-4 leko was non-existent defensively 

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I was defending Leko from a post which demanded that he be sent back to Pulis in the first part of my responde, not slating him. I went on to say that he had a poor game today though, because in my view he did. He overplayed a number of times and held on to the ball for too long more often than not.

He clearly has bags of talent but, given that he is 19 years old and is the very definition of a flair player, he is almost bound to have wild fluctuations in form. He’ll look like a world beater on his day, but when he’s off colour he’s the sort of player who will contribute very little. O’Dowda is more of a workhorse type for me, he contributes as much defensively as he does going forward. In games where we are struggling like we were today, he’s usually going to be a better option than Leko imo. 

Aden Flint: 240 games in English football at centre back.

Bailey Wright: 200 games in English football (mostly) at centre back.

Nathan Baker: 172 games in English football, at the back, heading and kicking it like the two above.

Jens Hegeler: 60 odd games in defence, about the same in midfield, and a handful at "No.10" as LJ reminded us post-game, today. Most of these performances not in English football.

Hegeler, at 29, never seems to have nailed down a position in his own country/football, and the same is happening here. He's not really a centre back (not if "heading and kicking it" is required, first and foremost), he's not really a midfielder either. Time to try him at "No.10"? 

12 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Aden Flint: 240 games in English football at centre back.

Bailey Wright: 200 games in English football (mostly) at centre back.

Nathan Baker: 172 games in English football, at the back, heading and kicking it like the two above.

Jens Hegeler: 60 odd games in defence, about the same in midfield, and a handful at "No.10" as LJ reminded us post-game, today. Most of these performances not in English football.

Hegeler, at 29, never seems to have nailed down a position in his own country/football, and the same is happening here. He's not really a centre back (not if "heading and kicking it" is required, first and foremost), he's not really a midfielder either. Time to try him at "No.10"? 

We still don't know what he is, to be honest.

He can't play in central midfield in a two, like you I'm not sure he is a natural CB, he looks like a good idea in January that just didn't work out to me.

Certainly not a "No.10" with Reid in the same side, either..

If you give away a goal to the away team in the first 4 minutes it’s going to be tough especially against a side as capable as Leeds. After their recent dip in form, that’s exactly what they needed. The goal was down to poor defending. The second was  wild clearance from Flint and why the hell didn’t Fielding dive at the ball using his hands like a goalkeeper is meant to do. The third was their heavyweight centre forward beating Hegeler to the ball with a header. Hegeler seems to be a misfit. He is skillfull, he can move forward at a good speed with the ball and is calm. But he’s not a centre back and I wouldn’t put him in midfield either. The bad start with two quick goals against rattled everyone. But I thought Bryan had a good game, as did Wright and O'Dowda. We missed Patterson and the biggest miss was Baker. But Johnson why did you play Hegeler instead of our Icelandic centre back who is going to the World Cup, Hodur Magnússon. He must start on Tuesday. The other puzzling thing for me was why was Hegeler trying to mark their strong centre forward with Flint mopping up. Hegeler doesn’t dominate in the air. Flint does . Wrong way round LJ. But a lively end. Mystified why Taylor was sent off having watched the replay several times. We are not going to win every game so let’s not get to depressed.  

I think the problem with Hegeler’s game today was the same issue with Bryan at left back last season - way too casual on and off the ball. Bryan has shown a massive improvement this season and it’s down making sure if you are going for the ball then you are committed to winning it and not expecting it to just fall for you. Hegeler has a relaxed style and in a game like today with wind and driving rain and an opposition pressing when off the ball you are going to get caught out.

The team as a whole didn’t work out today though. They didn’t support each other enough as a team all over the pitch. 

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

He was crap to be fair, doesn't mean he's going to be consistently crap. Dropped in to a defence next to Flint will never suit either of them. Had to be Magnússon. 

But by god if there's one stand out crap performance that was Pack. I think that was probably in the top 5 worst individual midfield performances I've ever seen. The way he was left out there was reminiscent of Liam Fontaine. 

If we are going to challenge this season then we need depth in vital positions, if hes not going to play Maggers then he should get rid, then there are players like Pack and Hegeler who imho are neither consistent or good enough to be relied on who also need to be binned if we are to succeed in this league.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nonsense.

Wright was one of our best today, he won more 50/50s than anyone else on the pitch and for a centre back being asked to play right back, his distribution was sound.

He also had absolutely no cover from Leko, yet none of the 3 goals were down to him.

Clearly LJ is trying to avoid picking Hörður, so he could move Wright into his best position and pick Vyner, if Pisano is still injured.

Can't agree. If we ship 3 goals (2 of which he has a hand in) then that's not a good or even close to good performance.

2 hours ago, Jacki said:

He wasn't terrible but he had no support and just got nowhere having beaten the three players marking him .

What annoyed me today and equally against Burton was the lack of support for the lad and the City player looking to pick up the loose ball when finally he was tackled.

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

If you give away a goal to the away team in the first 4 minutes it’s going to be tough especially against a side as capable as Leeds. After their recent dip in form, that’s exactly what they needed. The goal was down to poor defending. The second was  wild clearance from Flint and why the hell didn’t Fielding dive at the ball using his hands like a goalkeeper is meant to do. The third was their heavyweight centre forward beating Hegeler to the ball with a header. Hegeler seems to be a misfit. He is skillfull, he can move forward at a good speed with the ball and is calm. But he’s not a centre back and I wouldn’t put him in midfield either. The bad start with two quick goals against rattled everyone. But I thought Bryan had a good game, as did Wright and O'Dowda. We missed Patterson and the biggest miss was Baker. But Johnson why did you play Hegeler instead of our Icelandic centre back who is going to the World Cup, Hodur Magnússon. He must start on Tuesday. The other puzzling thing for me was why was Hegeler trying to mark their strong centre forward with Flint mopping up. Hegeler doesn’t dominate in the air. Flint does . Wrong way round LJ. But a lively end. Mystified why Taylor was sent off having watched the replay several times. We are not going to win every game so let’s not get to depressed.  

On RB LJ said that Maggers had been training as a left back and Hegeler as centre back . 

That went well then .

Archived