IGNORED

Hegeler- this season's first '1' rating

The Nest Egg

Seems to me that LJ has taken the opportunity to give the players who have been mostly on the bench this season a chance in the last couple of games - Eliasson, Leko, Hegeler, Woodrow - and tbh none of them have delivered. Maybe it's "shit or bust" time for these guys, and they won't get another similar opportunity anytime soon, disappointing for all concerned.

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He wasn't terrible but he had no support and just got nowhere having beaten the three players marking him .

What annoyed me today and equally against Burton was the lack of support for the lad and the City player looking to pick up the loose ball when finally he was tackled.

I just thought he held on to the ball for too long, just as he did v Burton. I like the fact that he tries to make things happen but he needs to improve his decision making rather than trying to do it all on his own all the time.

Start taking the right options more often and improve the end product and he’ll be some player. 

Hegeler looks best suited to playing as a sweeper in front of a back 4, not as one of that defensive line.

Magnússon surely has to cover both left centre back and left back.  LJ certainly seems to have something against in central defence, which I find hard to understand.

We certainly missed Baker at the back. And central midfield was poor today without Korey Smith. The cover was definitely missing in action and got outmuscled by the Leeds No. 25.

As for Leko, he had the beating of the left back but then seemed to lose confidence during the game. He wasn't the worst today but by the second half the substitution was clearly coming.

I'm amazed at the Hegeler defenders on this thread and the reaction to the OP.

No one - apart from arguably Bryan - had anything remotely approaching a good game. Pack was awful - but so was Brownhill. Both were culpable for not doing anything about the vast Korey Smith shaped gap in midfield which Leeds just waltzed through to attack our back line. Flint looked nervous and had the odd howler, but also saved a goal-bound shot off the line. Leko made wrong decisions, but was also the only winger to consistently take the ball into the box and won us a series of corners and free kicks which we should have made more of. Woodrow was AWOL again and as for Fammy's miss! Joey Deacon* could've stuck that one away.

So as I say a large number of below par performances, but it has to be said that Jens Hegeler in central defence stands out as the most inept and yes, as the OP says, he had partial blame for every goal and arguably entire blame for the third. Defenders rarely get subbed during the match unless they're injured, but after the third goal Johnson could clearly see the mistake he made picking him ahead of Magnússon and off he went.  I doubt we'll see him in the back 4 again. I'd have moved Wright centrally and played Vyner, myself.

As to whether Jens should even claim a place on the bench, I dunno. He was one of only two of our players to have a shot on target today, so maybe there's a sort of central midfielder with confidence problems lurking there? Whether it's worth trying to work through those, I can't tell.

* One for the older Otiber there. Younger forum members will have to Google it. 

Archived