IGNORED

Johnson Says... Stay Until The End

Agard Days Night

5 hours ago, South Somerset Red said:

Usually i will stay to the end but today i had enough, left at 85 mins because the weather was making me just as miserable as the performance and i wanted to beat the traffic :ph34r: but whats worse in my opinion is the fans who boo the team. Great confidence boost there peeps :clap:, have we forgotten where we was last season? 

same position same week if I remember.

5 hours ago, Fiale said:

Can someone explain the stewarding for that section - as many for that small area than the whole Leeds away end. Seems a shabby way to treat your supporters.

Was suggested to me it was to do with the bring a mate ticket offer from a few weeks back.

People were buying their friends tickets in other parts of the ground but they all went in the singing section leading to it being over capacity. 

The stewards were only checking people's tickets to make sure they had a ticket for area.

12 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Isn't the ideal behind it total support for ninety minutes? The lads involved may however remained till the end.

Isn’t that the mantra for all supporters? The driving force behind S82 would of been behind late after the game taking down flag displays etc, just as they will have arrived early in the morning to set the displays up. 

I sit in the Dolman but the atmosphere up my end of the ground has improved massively since S82 moved in. Always bemuses me why certain supporters (not aimed at you) seem to go out of their way to criticise them. 

3 minutes ago, BITW said:

Isn’t that the mantra for all supporters? The driving force behind S82 would of been behind late after the game taking down flag displays etc, just as they will have arrived early in the morning to set the displays up. 

I sit in the Dolman but the atmosphere up my end of the ground has improved massively since S82 moved in. Always bemuses me why certain supporters (not aimed at you) seem to go out of their way to criticise them. 

As soon as a group name is adopted, a group section it emphasises difference. The idea behind the section is clearly different to accommodate a differing way of supporting the team.

I think the opening post might be alluding to this group wanting an area for vocal total support but then not staying in the ground to do so. That could be as you also point out totally incorrect.

On 21/10/2017 at 18:23, Robbored said:

Disappointment is the same regardless of which team you support.

Is it? The disappointment between a side with a bit of history and established mid table Prem over the last 5 years getting hammered (excuse the pun) at home by a newly promoted side should be miles apart from that of a team punching above its historical weight, and losing only its second game of what is so far a pretty good season.

You simply cannot compare the reactions of us losing Saturday to West Ham on Friday in this current season.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 22:59, ZiderEyed said:

What a ******* idiot you are. I will leave when I choose, and if the football is sub-standard and piss poor, and i'm wet through and depressed, I will leave at my own discretion. What is this, my Dad's bigger than your Dad? Tosser.

Did LJ say that??? :laugh:

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Is it? 

You simply cannot compare the reactions of us losing Saturday to West Ham on Friday in this current season.

I'm not comparing City and West Ham. I'm simply pointing out that when your team is 0 - 3 at home and clearly struggling the disapointment is the same whoever you support. Some fans hate that feeling and prefer to leave before the final whistle.

Its human nature.

There were 3 of us. None had ever left a match early. 

Frankly, a woefully shambolic performance (thanks LJ, Woodrow, Hegeler and the rest), awful weather and the risk of a delayed bus - meaning at least an hour extra on the train journey, with extra costs - made it an easy decision. 

Sure when the Metrobus Service is up and running, with a stop convenient to The Gate meaning a consistently rapid return to Temple Meads, loads more - including us - will be staying to 'enjoy' every last second.

On 23/10/2017 at 14:25, Robbored said:

I'm not comparing City and West Ham. I'm simply pointing out that when your team is 0 - 3 at home and clearly struggling the disapointment is the same whoever you support. Some fans hate that feeling and prefer to leave before the final whistle.

Its human nature.

Then why quote my post that was specifically addressing the comparison made to West Ham doing it?

hope the same fans left at half time last night, or didn’t attend at all and missed West Ham’s comeback. They showed exactly why you don’t leave a game early

I'd put a sock in it mate if I were you. When I pay for 2 season tickets and devote at least 6 hours of my weekend to watching City, I'll leave as and when I want. If you don't like it, that's your issue. I've yet to see any City team receive a standing ovation and a rousing chorus of "Drink Up Thee Zyder" at 0-3, so my advice would be to keep your snotter out of other people's business and stop the self-righteous one-upmanship. :thumbsup:

Not you BRISTOL86, forgot to quote the previous post.

Although having now read your post, the same applies.

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sticking my head above the parapet but was very disappointed to see so many streaming out 5 mins before the 90 mins were up on Tuesday.

Something not quite right when you’re 4-1 up against a Premier League team and more home fans than away are heading for the doors. 

Fans leave before the final whistle for different reasons. 

On Tuesday the game was won. Had it been 2-1 either way very few would have left.

Others leave just before ft to avoid the crowds or to catch a bus or to avoid traffic leaving BS3. Others leave simply to get to the pub.....

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Fans leave before the final whistle for different reasons. 

On Tuesday the game was won. Had it been 2-1 either way very few would have left.

Others leave just before ft to avoid the crowds or to catch a bus or to avoid traffic leaving BS3. Others leave simply to get to the pub.....

I understand that a very small minority are constrained by transport restrictions, but the hoardes of people streaming out with the best part of ten minutes still to play, when getting arguably our best result of the season is pretty bizarre whichever way you cut it. 

Of course I do totally understand the ‘my money, my choice’ thing, but then it’s funny how many people get defensive when the away fans sing about our support being shit. 

There must have been 2,000+ who had vacated the stadium by the final whistle on Tuesday - that’s odd if you ask me, especially when very few Palace fans had left - who had considerably more reason to. 

People leave early for all kinds of reasons though. Myself and my wife left on 88 minutes but thats because she has mobility issues at the moment due to ACL reconstruction.

Plenty of other people leaving when we did had small children or were elderly. I would have thought that out of 21000 there will be a fair few that don't like the crush at the end so leave slightly early to mitigate that. 

So not that bizarre really if you think about it.

2 minutes ago, jellyred said:

People leave early for all kinds of reasons though. Myself and my wife left on 88 minutes but thats because she has mobility issues at the moment due to ACL reconstruction.

Plenty of other people leaving when we did had small children or were elderly. I would have thought that out of 21000 there will be a fair few that don't like the crush at the end so leave slightly early to mitigate that. 

So not that bizarre really if you think about it.

Yeah I guess. 

I genuinely do understand that there are really legitimate reasons for people not staying until full time but it does seem a disproportionate amount at AG compared to what you see elsewhere. 

I do wonder if a lot of it is just ingrained habit from when it tooo so long to clear the Dolman, for example (not that it’s much better in the SS or Dolman now!)

You are probably right about the ingrained part of it , habits are hard to change.

Are we that different from other clubs though? I can't say yes or no as I don't go to away games so have nothing to judge against and you can't really tell when watching games on the TV.

4 minutes ago, jellyred said:

You are probably right about the ingrained part of it , habits are hard to change.

Are we that different from other clubs though? I can't say yes or no as I don't go to away games so have nothing to judge against and you can't really tell when watching games on the TV.

I don’t get to that many away games these days but I’ve never really noticed droves of fans leaving before the game is over. 

Then again whenever I go to away games we lose so that probably has something to do with it!

This is a symptom of being customers and not supporters. This isn't the fault of fans though, but the FA and the vast majority of owners including our own. I've pointed out many times that football in this country is a complete rip off compared to the rest of the world.

This means that, with a higher price, people expect to be entertained, so the atmosphere suffers as people demand a performance. The line "The players have got to get the crowd going" is very common in the UK and not so much abroad.

It also means that people see the football as just a place they go once a week/fortnight and lack the affinity and desire to see things out week in week out. I always used to get annoyed by people leaving early, but while the prices are what they are, then feel free to leave, you're paying a lot.

As a result, fans in the UK have become reactive, rather than proactive. If I was paying for a ticket in the centre of the Dolman, I'd expect the team to perform whether I'm there or not. This needs to change and I don't think the powers that be want that to change. 

Perhaps therefore, we need to change it. That doesn't mean shouting at fans leaving early (unless they are doing that slow, still watching the game walk, and they're blocking your view). It means slowly but surely creating a fan culture in which people actually want to see the game out, and any extra time spent in the car or patiently waiting for the crowds to disperse so you an safely exit is worth it.

COYR

9 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

This is a symptom of being customers and not supporters. This isn't the fault of fans though, but the FA and the vast majority of owners including our own. I've pointed out many times that football in this country is a complete rip off compared to the rest of the world.

This means that, with a higher price, people expect to be entertained, so the atmosphere suffers as people demand a performance. The line "The players have got to get the crowd going" is very common in the UK and not so much abroad.

It also means that people see the football as just a place they go once a week/fortnight and lack the affinity and desire to see things out week in week out. I always used to get annoyed by people leaving early, but while the prices are what they are, then feel free to leave, you're paying a lot.

As a result, fans in the UK have become reactive, rather than proactive. If I was paying for a ticket in the centre of the Dolman, I'd expect the team to perform whether I'm there or not. This needs to change and I don't think the powers that be want that to change. 

Perhaps therefore, we need to change it. That doesn't mean shouting at fans leaving early (unless they are doing that slow, still watching the game walk, and they're blocking your view). It means slowly but surely creating a fan culture in which people actually want to see the game out, and any extra time spent in the car or patiently waiting for the crowds to disperse so you an safely exit is worth it.

COYR

I get that to an extent. Fans across the county are undoubtedly more detached from their clubs compared to say 10 or 20 years ago. 

But the reality is my season ticket is actually cheaper in real terms now than it was ten years ago, despite significant investment in the squad, stadium etc. that essentially hasn’t been funded by us. 

We seem to have a particularly entitled mindset at times - in this league no one is going to play amazing football 100% of the time and win every game. It’s an overused slur but in all honesty if that is what someone wants then maybe Bristol City isn’t for them and they should stick to Sky Sports and pick the current premier league flavour of the month to support  

And none of this applies to Tuesday. Tickets were very fairly priced and I don’t think anyone can argue that ‘value for money’ wasn’t delivered. 

I guess another part of the problem on Tuesday is that there were lots of people there who normally don’t attend, so it probably exacerbated the issue as they had no real desire to stay and celebrate the result like maybe a ST holder would. 

I guess I just find it funny that seemingly so many are happy to devote anywhere from 2-5 hours of their day for an afternoon or evening at the football but then can’t stretch to that last seven minutes!

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sticking my head above the parapet but was very disappointed to see so many streaming out 5 mins before the 90 mins were up on Tuesday.

Something not quite right when you’re 4-1 up against a Premier League team and more home fans than away are heading for the doors. 

the bus leaves at 90 minutes, so its leave then or wait till 10:45

Jurgen Klopp complained about early leavers at Anfield a while ago, after they lost to Crystal Palace I think. Anfield, the Kop and Liverpool's crowd are not what they used to be, not as support-you-ever-more/faithful/passionate as they were (when they were very successful); football crowds across the country are not what they were - including as violent/volatile - and Ashton Gate is no exception.

It couldn't have been easy exiting the middle of the Kop early that night in '77 v St. Etienne, mind. Or any game in those days. It's far too easy, comfortable and accessible at football nowadays - going for a piss, going for refreshments, getting in, getting out, staying safe.....

Archived