IGNORED

Palace on Tuesday

wendyredredrobin

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Really surprised to see how many tickets have been sold for this one, was expecting the ground to be half full but apart from block A of the Dolman it looks like it might sell out

31 minutes ago, marmite said:

How many sold now? I thought sales were slow.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

It wasn`t v Stoke - not even the family section. Whether it`s because it was a school night with the possibility of ET and pens they didn`t think there would be the demand.

Half term for many next week so who knows what is happening.

So I've just been looking on the ticketing site and as @JBFC II suggests the only block with proper availability (apart from singles) is Dolman A block, although the top tier is not open yet.

That's a phenomenal effort and suggests a crowd well in excess of the 16k that watched the Hull game at the same stage last year. I wonder if they might start opening top tier blocks shortly?

Looking forward to this game even more now.

We're not going to finish top 6, we're not going to finish bottom 6 - just like in 1988/89. This could provide some much needed do-or-die excitement this season, so I hope we pick a strong side and really go for it. Looking forward to a cup tie under the lights at AG with plenty of young uns (including a couple of mine) in attendance with it being half-term. 

Just wondering whether we could go 3 / 5 at the back?  (Assuming Baker, Pisano, Paterson and Smith are out, Taylor suspended)

Steele,

Vyner, Flint, Wright, Magnússon, Kelly

Pack, Hegeler, Brownhill,

Reid, Diedhiou,

Personally my starting eleven would be:

Steele,

Wright, Flint, Magnússon, Kelly

O’Dowda, Pack, Brownhill, Bryan

Reid, Diedhiou

Subs: Fielding, Vyner, Hegeler, Bakinson, Eliasson, Djúric, Garita

17 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Last time i remember us getting to a league cup quarter final was 1971 when we lost to spurs in a 2 legged semi.  If i remember correvtly, the gas also got to the last 8 and we were hoping for an all bristol semi.  

What about the year we got to the semi under JJ?

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just wondering whether we could go 3 / 5 at the back?  (Assuming Baker, Pisano, Paterson and Smith are out, Taylor suspended)

Steele,

Vyner, Flint, Wright, Magnússon, Kelly

Pack, Hegeler, Brownhill,

Reid, Diedhiou,

Personally my starting eleven would be:

Steele,

Wright, Flint, Magnússon, Kelly

O’Dowda, Pack, Brownhill, Bryan

Reid, Diedhiou

Subs: Fielding, Vyner, Hegeler, Bakinson, Eliasson, Djúric, Garita

I'd have a back four of Vyner, Flint, Wright, Magnússon, but the same front six as you.

I have nothing personal against Hegeler - seems like a nice guy actually - but I really wouldn't mind if I never saw him in a City shirt again.  I really do not think he is up to Championship standard, in whatever position he plays.  I suspect his style is just one that will never adapt to the English game.

23 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Woodrow,Leko not available.
Baker injured , as I guess is Korey.
Taylor will be available in as much as no suspension until hearing, but if his nose is broken I doubt he'll be risked.
Not sure if we picked up any other injuries yesterday , or if Đurić is fit enough of 90 but it narrows options.

Steele
Pisano/Vyner Flint Mags Kelly
Eliasson Pack Oniel/Brownhill Patterson/ODowda
            Đurić/FD       Reid
That's about all our options

O'Neil is in a leg brace, a few days ago anyway. Not near walking unaided never mind playing football!

15 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

We're not going to finish top 6, we're not going to finish bottom 6 - just like in 1988/89. This could provide some much needed do-or-die excitement this season, so I hope we pick a strong side and really go for it. Looking forward to a cup tie under the lights at AG with plenty of young uns (including a couple of mine) in attendance with it being half-term. 

I tend to agree with this.  With Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City all still in the draw, there is a very realistic prospect of us playing a quarter final against a proper big club - either in front of a sell out Ashton Gate, or at a big away ground - how many times has that happened in the last 30 years?  And not drawing a big team would mean a more winnable and realistic chance of making a two-legged semi.

With such a prize on offer I'd be playing our strongest 11.  We play league games on Tuesday and then Saturday and no-one suggests wholesale changes then; why do it now?  For the sake of 1 league game out of 46, on balance I would take the risk.

53 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Unbelievable effort, especially off the back of a 24k home crowd on Saturday,

Identical circumstances to the Hull game last year which drew a 16k crowd, so I'm very surprised by this.

Suggest it is boosted by CP bringing a higher away following than Hull, but still tremendous effort. Could even reach 20k with POTD etc.  

It must be assumed that such sales are also unexpected to the club since they made season ticket holders vacate the Upper Lansdown, only to put tickets in this area on sale today. 

21 hours ago, spudski said:

Is he...bugger...missed that. Go with Reid in that spot and Taylor up front. What's a broken nose!!!!

Really want to win this game. Good chance for the fringe players to show what they've got.

I really rate Kelly and hate the fact that Bryan could hold up his progression.

He is imo, the best prospect we've ever had....seriously.

Just imagine if Kelly was a right back:sad26:

I can see Bryan getting a huge move in summer though. Kelly can be better than Bryan in just a couple of years.

Kelly and Dowling were always the 2 that stood out in the youth games. Hopefully Dowling can keep up the Torquay performances he was showing pre-injury

So essentially players we know are fit/available/eligible:

Fielding
Steele
Vyner
Wright
Flint
Hegeler
Magnússon
Kelly
Bryan
Eliasson
Pack
Brownhill
O'Dowda
Reid
Diedhiou

So we can probably expect those 15 to be joined by 3 of the following, in this order (in my opinion) if available:

Taylor
Đurić
Pisano
Garita
Bakinson

Whatever the team we pick, it is going to be a tough game irrespective of the fact Palace are rock bottom.  Wonder how many players they will rest, and whether Zaha will feature in the game.  On a separate note, despite the fact he was terrible for England in the last 2 tournaments, it's always interesting to have a former England manager at the Gate, pitting his wits against LJ.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Upper Lansdown now open.

Crowd approaching 18,000.

Crowd of over 18,000 guaranteed according to the OS. Absolutely superb support. Really hope it doesn't turn out to be a bit of a damp squib like the Hull game last season and that the crowd are rewarded with a near full strength side that give it a real go!

Fair play to Palace as well, 1,900 is a good effort on a Tuesday night.

Archived