IGNORED

Team For Palace

BCFC J

I think how the players get on tomorrow evening will have a big affect on Johnson's team selection for Saturday, so let's see what happens.

Steele

Pisano Flint Wright Magnússon

O'Dowda Pack Brownhill Eliasson

Taylor Diedhiou

That's assuming Taylor's red will be overturned, he can play with a broken nose can't he?

Big chance for Pisano and we need him fit for Saturday so we can move Wright across to the middle with Flint, give him 60 minutes to get him up to speed. Magnússon in there from the start as well in case Pisano doesn't make it Saturday, as I can't be arsed to watch that bomb scare Hegeler at centre half again.

Personally think we'll beat them, hopefully some goals for lads that need them (Eliasson, O'Dowda).

2-0 City.

Shame Freddie Hinds is on loan, would like to have seen him given another chance.  Maybe Kelly or Vyner to get a game or sub appearance.

Palace in the middle of a royal fail at the moment, so the game is winable, but surely Hodgson will habe tightened up thwir leaky defence a bit.

Hope we can take advantage of a no pressure game and hit em with pace and a high line.

1 hour ago, BCFC J said:

I think how the players get on tomorrow evening will have a big affect on Johnson's team selection for Saturday, so let's see what happens.

Steele

Taylor Diedhiou

That's assuming Taylor's red will be overturned, he can play with a broken nose can't he?

Big chance for Pisano and we need him fit for Saturday so we can move Wright across to the middle with Flint, give him 60 minutes to get him up to speed. Magnússon in there from the start as well in case Pisano doesn't make it Saturday, as I can't be arsed to watch that bomb scare Hegeler at centre half again.

Personally think we'll beat them, hopefully some goals for lads that need them (Eliasson, O'Dowda).

2-0 City.

Too much work load on the midfield two. We knew in the summer we were light. Surprised we didn't buy a central mid. 

1 hour ago, BCFC J said:

Steele

Taylor Diedhiou

2-0 City.

Depends on the severity of the break - anyway, would you honestly put 100% into headers and challenges if you had a broken nose? I wouldn't start him.

We're a bit light on options.

Hmm.. Johnson mentioned in Saturday's post-game interview that Hegeler has played 30 games as a number 10.

If he wants to give Reid a rest - would he stick Hegeler up front behind Diedhiou? It would be a very Lee Johnson thing to do.. :ph34r: wouldn't rule it out..

I reckon the team will be similar to yours - probably more likely that Reid and Diedhiou will start.

Taylor and Đurić on the bench.. if Taylor isn't fit/suspension isn't overturned I hope Arnie Garita gets a space!

Palace have a massive game on Saturday at home to West Ham, although still fairly early on in the season it's must win for them. 

Although they got a great result against Chelsea there rock bottom on 3 points with a horrendous goal difference. 

I'd imagine they will rest key players and their focus will be the west ham game.

Although I'm sure there second string side will still make it a tough game, I expect us to beat them. 

Of course they'll want to progress but do Palace want a midweek game in a month's time against say Man City in the quarter final.

No I'd imagine there sole focus will be keeping themselves in the premier league. 

It's a very good time to play them, a similar performance to when we knocked out Stoke will do the job I'm sure. 

League has to be the priority, and its an opportunity to give games to players who haven't been getting them regularly and also to young players. 

I'm not saying put out a weak side, but I'd rest a few. Maybe something like this:

Steele

Vyner Flint Magnússon Kelly

Eliasson Hegeler Brownhill COD

Reid Diedhiou

Sub's: Fielding, Wright, Bryan,Pack, Đurić (if fit enough to play a part) and then some of the u23s to fill the bench, maybe Garita?

This is presuming the same absentees as Saturday + Taylor and Woodrow and Leko cup tied. 

Not a lot of options are there?

We chatted about this yesterday on the podcast. Gonna be a really interesting 18 with the result, injuries/illnesses and suspensions/cupties. 

Steele

vyner Flint Magnússon Kelly

eliasson Pack Brownhill Paterson

reid diedhiou

fielding Wright Bakinson Hegeler Bryan COD Garita 

A lot will depend on how confident we are of Smith being available for Saturday. And whether Taylor can play.

I reckon that if Smith is definitely not gonna make Saturday, then they won't want Pack to play tomorrow night.

Steele, Vyner, Wright, Flint, Magners, Odowda, Brownhill, Hegeler, Eliasson, Reid, Fam.

Time will tell I guess. COYR

52 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We chatted about this yesterday on the podcast. Gonna be a really interesting 18 with the result, injuries/illnesses and suspensions/cupties. 

Steele

vyner Flint Magnússon Kelly

eliasson Pack Brownhill Paterson

reid diedhiou

fielding Wright Bakinson Hegeler Bryan COD Garita 

I like this team but i'm not convinced by Vyner yet. Would feel a bit more comfortable with either Wright or even Brownhill there as he has done before. I would be surprised if Paterson is back after being on a drip - might even play Kelly at LB with Bryan on the left wing. 

I like the idea of Bakinson making the bench - that would be interesting - and of course Garita deserves a slot!

1 hour ago, tommytank1985 said:

Well he is a Iceland international, played ok start of last year in a new country in a very competitive league. Hasn't really been given a run of games since has he?

I'm not saying he's shite, just saying when I've seen him play he's been 'ok' which you eluded to in your reply. Average player for me. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I like this team but i'm not convinced by Vyner yet. Would feel a bit more comfortable with either Wright or even Brownhill there as he has done before. I would be surprised if Paterson is back after being on a drip - might even play Kelly at LB with Bryan on the left wing. 

I like the idea of Bakinson making the bench - that would be interesting - and of course Garita deserves a slot!

We've won all 4 games he's played. Keep giving him chances to improve. 

Garita on the bench is the dream

34 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We've won all 4 games he's played. Keep giving him chances to improve. 

Garita on the bench is the dream

I know it was a couple of years ago but I still have bad memories of Brighton at Home when he was appalling.

I'm all for giving young players a chance but I just don't think he's quite good enough. He could have done with a loan really and LJ said as much. 

Reaching a bit here but he doesn't seem to give off the impression of quiet confidence that Reid, Bryan and Kelly do and I feel he'd be very nervous playing against the likes of Townsend and Zaha.

52 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

As long as Hegeler is not in it, we will be a hell of lot more solid, than on Saturday! 

Yeah, lets ignore the good performances he put in at CB (such as against Stoke), and focus on the one very bad one, in a game where none of our defence covered themselves in glory...

38 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think you're right. Not a chance in hell that Pato will play. Poor lad's been really unwell. I suspect it may be some time before we see him again,unfortunately. It's not just a question of his symptoms subsiding. Post-viral fatigue is common after an acute illness like this and in addition to that he will need to put back on the half a stone or more in weight that he's reportedly lost.

We suddenly find ourselves really up against it in terms of limited options. We will find out a lot about the strength of the squad over the next few games.

9 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I think you're right. Not a chance in hell that Pato will play. Poor lad's been really unwell. I suspect it may be some time before we see him again,unfortunately. It's not just a question of his symptoms subsiding. Post-viral fatigue is common after an acute illness like this and in addition to that he will need to put back on the half a stone or more in weight that he's reportedly lost.

We suddenly find ourselves really up against it in terms of limited options. We will find out a lot about the strength of the squad over the next few games.

Yep - I don't think enough has been made of that. We saw a few years ago the impact that a bad virus had on David Clarkson.

Paterson must be about 10 stone wet through anyway, would be bad for him to lose weight as a result of a virus.

He's really important in how we play. We've got 3 relatively inexperienced and inconsistent wingers in O'Dowda, Leko and Eliasson. We need Paterson back ASAP. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know it was a couple of years ago but I still have bad memories of Brighton at Home when he was appalling.

I'm all for giving young players a chance but I just don't think he's quite good enough. He could have done with a loan really and LJ said as much. 

Reaching a bit here but he doesn't seem to give off the impression of quiet confidence that Reid, Bryan and Kelly do and I feel he'd be very nervous playing against the likes of Townsend and Zaha.

No he’s definitely not as good as those 3. But he’s got the physical capability and he’s done fine so far this season

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't agree I don't think he's ready.. but because it's you and down to your record on Reid and Kelly i'll give him another chance :yes:

Vyner is good enough to fill in occasionally for Pisano. Would’ve played him vs Burton but not against Leeds. Kelly is a cut above 

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep - I don't think enough has been made of that. We saw a few years ago the impact that a bad virus had on David Clarkson.

Paterson must be about 10 stone wet through anyway, would be bad for him to lose weight as a result of a virus.

He's really important in how we play. We've got 3 relatively inexperienced and inconsistent wingers in O'Dowda, Leko and Eliasson. We need Paterson back ASAP. 

I also had Clarkson in mind, as it happens. He was an intelligent footballer and better than he was given credit for. As was widely acknowledged at the time, he struggled with the pace and physicality of the English game, but much of that was a down to the post-viral thing. I went to see him in a reserve team match when he was trying to work his way back after his illness (I don't remember for sure, but I think he may have had glandular fever.) The poor sod was trying his heart out, but he looked completely drained of energy before he'd even got to half time. I have had direct personal experience of this kind of fatigue and can tell you it can be soul-destroying, trying to struggle to overcome it. Pato as you say is a slightly built lad and I hope people will exercise some patience because it could take him quite a while to make a complete recovery from this.

Archived