IGNORED

Team For Palace

BCFC J

Interesting to hear some of Hodgson's plans.  Looks like we might be up against second string CBs and Hennessey will get a start, with maybe a few other changes - perhaps Fosu-Mensah and Loftus-Cheek getting starts.

This from the Palace website (bold is my emphasis):

Speaking ahead of the game, he said: “I’m hoping that I’ll have a strong team going to Bristol*, and we’re going to go there and try to win. It’s not a question of us not caring about Tuesday because we have a match on Saturday - at the moment I think we’re capable of doing both of those things.

“It’s not difficult to play on two fronts; the top teams in the country are doing it on three fronts because they have European football as well as the League Cup. It’s only a question of how I interpret the work priority; every game is a chance for us to show that we’re a good team and get results.

When asked about which players he may want to have a look at, Hodgson – whose only injury concerns remain Christian Benteke and Connor Wickham – explained: “I am hoping to rotate the squad because we have some very good players. For example we have two centre-backs who played virtually all of last year in Tomkins and Kelly and at the moment they’re not getting a game, so it would be interesting for me to see them.

We’ve got a Welsh international goalkeeper on the bench as well, so there are lots of situations like that where people are crying out for a game, and it would be wrong of me not to give them a chance in a midweek game to show what they can do."

As for us, I hope we go for it more than we did against Hull last year.  I think you have to assume Taylor is out but I'd hope we see Reid and Fam up top.  I suspect @ollywhyte has it pretty close with his suggestion.

31 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Steele

Vyner Flint Magnússon Kelly

Elliason Brownhill Hegeler O'Dowda

Reid

Diedhiou

*Uh oh...he called us Bristol :handbags:

6 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

I also had Clarkson in mind, as it happens. He was an intelligent footballer and better than he was given credit for. As was widely acknowledged at the time, he struggled with the pace and physicality of the English game, but much of that was a down to the post-viral thing. I went to see him in a reserve team match when he was trying to work his way back after his illness (I don't remember for sure, but I think he may have had glandular fever.) The poor sod was trying his heart out, but he looked completely drained of energy before he'd even got to half time. I have had direct personal experience of this kind of fatigue and can tell you it can be soul-destroying, trying to struggle to overcome it. Pato as you say is a slightly built lad and I hope people will exercise some patience because it could take him quite a while to make a complete recovery from this.

Yep totally agree. We never saw the best of Clarkson and his career never took off. I think lots of that was down to that illness when he was still developing as a player. Sad really but shows how easily it can happen.

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Steele

Vyner, Flint, Magnússon, Kelly

Eliasson, Hegeler, Pack, O'Dowda

Reid Diedhiou

With injuries, suspensions, cup tied and those out on loan like Morrell, Hinds, Moore and even McCoulsky, we are looking a bit thin for attackers and the bench. We might even see Garita instead of Fammy.

Was that you who said hello on Saturday?  If so, hello back!

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I like this team but i'm not convinced by Vyner yet. Would feel a bit more comfortable with either Wright or even Brownhill there as he has done before. I would be surprised if Paterson is back after being on a drip - might even play Kelly at LB with Bryan on the left wing. 

I like the idea of Bakinson making the bench - that would be interesting - and of course Garita deserves a slot!

It’s not that I’m not convinced about Vyner...potential wise....I think he could’ve done with a league one loan.  Thought the guy on the left for Stoke was quite a handful and he got the better of Zak.  If he could finish, might’ve been a different game.  But I guess these are games to get him towards his potential.

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Steele

Eliasson, Hegeler, Pack, O'Dowda

Reid Diedhiou

With injuries, suspensions, cup tied and those out on loan like Morrell, Hinds, Moore and even McCoulsky, we are looking a bit thin for attackers and the bench. We might even see Garita instead of Fammy.

I'd go for :

Steele,

Wright, Flint, Maggers, Bryan

Brownhill, Hegeler, Pack, O'dowda

Reid, Fammy.

The competition is getting serious for us now and we need to re-build confidence. Just cant see the Rookie full backs being pitched in to face Zaha who will no doubt start as he needs game time.  Đurić will get 30 mins or so for Fammy I'd say. 

12 hours ago, BCFC J said:

I think how the players get on tomorrow evening will have a big affect on Johnson's team selection for Saturday, so let's see what happens.

Steele

Pisano Flint Wright Magnússon

O'Dowda Pack Brownhill Eliasson

Taylor Diedhiou

That's assuming Taylor's red will be overturned, he can play with a broken nose can't he?

Big chance for Pisano and we need him fit for Saturday so we can move Wright across to the middle with Flint, give him 60 minutes to get him up to speed. Magnússon in there from the start as well in case Pisano doesn't make it Saturday, as I can't be arsed to watch that bomb scare Hegeler at centre half again.

Personally think we'll beat them, hopefully some goals for lads that need them (Eliasson, O'Dowda).

2-0 City.

very worried about that weak midfield

I fully expect Vyner, Magnússon, Eliasson & Steele all to start. 

Possibly Kelly and Taylor if his suspension has been successfully appealed. 

The players I've mentioned got us into the fourth round so deserve to start again, 

plus it's a very good chance to play players who haven't been playing in the league keeping their morale up. 

4 hours ago, tommytank1985 said:

Steele

wright flint mags kelly

o'dowda pack brownhill Bryan 

fam Reid 

I'd be tempted to swap Brownhill and Bryan. I'd really like to see if Joe can add a bit of creativity to centre midfield and perhaps drive at their back four.  I'm sure he looked good there in a game or two last year.

What I'd like to see (not exactly our strongest team but just out of curiosity)

Steele

Eliasson, Hegeler, Bakinson, O'Dowda

Garita :yes:, Diedhiou

Bench: Fielding, Wright, Bryan, Holden, Paterson, Reid, Đurić

What I think we might see

Steele

Wright, Flint, Magnússon, Kelly

Brownhill, Pack, Hegeler, O'Dowda

Reid

Diedhiou

Bench: Fielding, Bryan, Vyner, Eliasson, Paterson, Đurić, Taylor

Would think we would be keen to rest Bobby from the starting line up if possible, he took a hell of a whack when Leeds no. 5 was booked and with Taylor's sending off overturned now then as long as his nose is ok I expect him to start.

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

No Garita for u23, hope it’s not because he’s injured.

Also no bakinson which is surprising. Perhaps he’ll be in the 18 tonight. 

Bakinson is always involved in any positive updates about U23 games on Twitter.

Obviously that doesn't give the whole story but it isn't a huge leap to suggest he has been playing well (hopefully someone who watches can confirm) and we know LJ isn't afraid of giving the young ones who play well a game here and there.

A Brownhill, Pack, Eliasson, O'Dowda midfield would worry me - defence got no protection from what looked like a very lightweight midfield on Saturday and just swapping Eliasson for Leko I fear would leave the defence exposed again.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Hegeler pushed up into our midfield tonight.

2 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

You don't think Eliasson will start then Phileas? I think he'll be nailed on myself.

I would also like to see Andrews or Bakinson have a place on bench.....

I wouldn’t be surprised - I just think LJ has faith in Brownhill, doesnt usually drop Pack if Smith isn’t playing and will want Hegeler to have a chance at redemption.

I’d like Eliasson to start personally - he’ll scare Palace with his pace.

2 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

You don't think Eliasson will start then Phileas? I think he'll be nailed on myself.

I would also like to see Andrews or Bakinson have a place on bench.....

Have you seen Bakinson redcherry ?

Good chance you have , and interested in your impressions :thumbsup:

Also interested in your views on Andrews looking forward / potential ?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have you seen Bakinson redcherry ?

Good chance you have , and interested in your impressions :thumbsup:

Also interested in your views on Andrews looking forward / potential ?

Big strong quick & gets box to box. Cant finish yet though. Reminds me of a young version of Marvin Elliot which would be great IMO. Loved Marv.

EDIT;  Just noted you asked about Andrews.

Bit older than our other starlets at 20 but strong skilful and technically very good. Takes a great set piece espc free kick. Not much pace and has played out wide & behind the striker in the past. Chippenham played him central mid where he excelled but not saw him for our U23's since his returned a 2/3 weeks ago.

Archived