IGNORED

Hegeler has to start....

Londoner

Obviously this will surprise a few people after his performance Saturday but for me hegeler needs to be starting.....in midfield.

Watching over the highlights it's clear that our best chances came from him (exception of fammy header). Bobby Reid chance came from Hegeler breaking forward and then his own chance which was saved.

This guy, along with Brownhill, is our most creative outlet in cm....far more than both Smith and pack.

People assume he is a sitting cm who breaks up play, he isn't, he is far more than that.

I remember sheff we'd at home last season, playing in cm first 60 minutes he ran the game and yes one poor ball got punished but I feel his composure his ability to create from deep and breaking forward is exactly what we need.

I cannot understand why the management seen so reluctant to play him in his best position, which is midfield.

He will getgoals....when he has played in midfield he has got in excellent positions just unable to finish....that game when he beat 2 players rounded the keeper before having a shot cleared off the line being an example.

He didn't play champions league football for np reason.

If I was manager, with Korey unfit, I would play hegeler and brownhill in cm and give him a run....made a good impact when he joined and he is TOO GOOD to be wastes on the bench off cb.

Despite a handful of good performances at cb I maintain that isn't his best position, there are 4 better.

He breaks up play, he tackles, he gets forward and offers creativity, he gets into goal scoring positions.....for me he has more to his game than pack or Smith.....yet doesn't get the same opportunities.

GIVE HIM A RUN IN HIS BEST POSITION....CENTRE MIDFIELD!!!

I cannot understand why the management seen so reluctant to play him in his best position, which is midfield.

Because Lee would have to play Hondour at centre half and clearly hell would have to freeze over before that happens. 

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Cannot understand their issue with Hörður.

"Trust" is the issue, prof. Hord has proved himself to be "untrustworthy."

Good to see you acknowledging a lack of understanding there; you are modelling the New Way for 21st century masculinity, post-Weinstein, and Otibers on here.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Might be good management to give Jens the opportunity for instant redemption. He's one of our more experienced pros and will be frustrated by his performance this weekend. I think he's the type of player who'd play better against better opposition anyway.

I'd be interested to see him in midfield.

Might help his mindset if as you say he can make amends etc and perform well.

If he doesn’t play might beat himself up depends on his personality though.

Just now, Tears in rain said:

Might help his mindset if as you say he can make amends etc and perform well.

I'd like to think he's experienced enough not to let it bother him too much.. but a pro with pride in his craft would want a chance to make it right.

As a centre half I doubt he expended that much energy on Saturday anyway so should be good to go again.

Wouldn't surprise me if we play a 4-5-1 version of what we have been playing.. Brownhill playing off Diedhiou but deeper than Reid with Hegeler and Pack in midfield. Lots of height in there.

It’s very hard for a player to prove himself when he plays once every month or so, granted he reportedly didn’t have the best of games on Saturday but then who did? And how’s he’s supposed to prove that it was just rustiness if he won’t get another chance for another month or so?

But being at the stage in the competition that we are, LJ may see it as an ideal opportunity to put as strong a line-up out as possible for us to progress to the latter stages of the cup........

LJ’s in a difficult position because if he gives the ‘fringe players’ a run out, people will moan that we should of gone for progression but if he plays his ‘first choice’ available team & we lose (against a Premier League team), people will start getting on his back for us being on a run of bad results (a whole 2 defeats on the trot). Unfortunately & sadly it seems like some people are just waiting for LJ to fail, it’s just the way some fans like to point score.

If hegeler plays cm for us it had better be against a team who wont press too quickly, as he hasnt adapted to the pace of the championship. Give him time and he is a quality footballer, rush him a bit and he is bye-passed in the game and wouldnt affect it. French or dutch football would suit him much better than ours i reckon.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes because it's always wise to take isolated games to make a judgement ;)

He also played very well against Stoke a few weeks ago. He's got ability as a player but needs a fair go to show it.

Maybe he is not good enough. Just a thought. If he is crap tomorrow we can play him up front next time.

31 minutes ago, AlrightMeBabber said:

Personally, I don't think Hegeler had a terrible game on Saturday. There were others in the team who played far worse and seem to be protected by the fans.. (Flint, Wright) 

I agree about Hegeler, I think he was better than many are giving him credit for until he seemed to hit a brick wall at about 60 minutes - no wonder, he hasn't started a game for several weeks.

Disagree about Bailey Wright as I believe that along with Joe Bryan and Josh Brownhill, they were the three who were nearest to their usual standard.

I was thinking about where he’d be the best fit. I reckon a bit like Bobby he’d be better the further up the pitch he played. Not striker but as a number 10 I reckon he’d be good. Good with both feet and technically probably the best we’ve got. Can surely pick a pass and likes a late run into the box. Maybe play him behind Fam tomorrow night if Bobby needs a rest? 

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Maybe he is not good enough. Just a thought. If he is crap tomorrow we can play him up front next time.

I think he is good enough - ability wise and experience he definitely should be.

The pace of the English game may be an issue and the fact that he hasn't had a run of starts. I don't think it's fair to read too much into one off performances of bit-part players. That's why i'm also reluctant to criticise Woodrow too heavily.

I can see why fans do it though and the forum would be a bit boring if everyone just said 'he didn't play well today, but we'll wait and judge him more accurately after 10 games'.

We saw what a long period out of regular football did to Giefer who came here with great pedigree. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was thinking about where he’d be the best fit. I reckon a bit like Bobby he’d be better the further up the pitch he played. Not striker but as a number 10 I reckon he’d be good. Good with both feet and technically probably the best we’ve got. Can surely pick a pass and likes a late run into the box. Maybe play him behind Fam tomorrow night if Bobby needs a rest? 

So try him in yet another position?!

I think LJ wasn't impressed by his shirt-pulling where he got booked and subbed him immediately so would be surprised to see him tomorrow. In midfield his tackling lets him down, however he may have to play there to ensure Pack/Brownhill aren't knackered for Saturday. He's one of those players who looks good when the team's playing well but awful when we're struggling.

He would suit a 4-3-3 with Smith and Brownhill doing most of the leg work,. With Reid, Paterson and Diehdhiou  or a combination of them Leko/Eliasson/Engvall/Taylor/Woodrow/Đurić/    anyone think we may have a few to many attacking options and not enough CM options at the club ?

Just now, Fiale said:

He would suit a 4-3-3 with Smith and Brownhill doing most of the leg work,. With Reid, Paterson and Diehdhiou  or a combination of them Leko/Eliasson/Engvall/Taylor/Woodrow/Đurić/    anyone think we may have a few to many attacking options and not enough CM options at the club ?

Agreed been saying this when we got him. Maybe that could’ve been the route we took in cup games and as plan B? Have enough options on the wing to play in Leko, Elliason, COD 

30 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree about Hegeler, I think he was better than many are giving him credit for until he seemed to hit a brick wall at about 60 minutes - no wonder, he hasn't started a game for several weeks.

Disagree about Bailey Wright as I believe that along with Joe Bryan and Josh Brownhill, they were the three who were nearest to their usual standard.

Bailey had a shocking first half, caught out of position too many times. Not his fault he's not naturally a right back, would love to have seen Vyner get a game to be honest. He was more solid in the second half but for the first 45 it was rabbit in headlights for him.  

1 hour ago, Tears in rain said:

With Smith out with a hamstring tear, O'Neill out from surgery and Patterson in hospital, I would be furious if our injury list expanded to include Hegeler, out due to a right hook to his own chin and a knee to his own bollocks.

42 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think LJ wasn't impressed by his shirt-pulling where he got booked and subbed him immediately so would be surprised to see him tomorrow. In midfield his tackling lets him down, however he may have to play there to ensure Pack/Brownhill aren't knackered for Saturday. He's one of those players who looks good when the team's playing well but awful when we're struggling.

He was knackered and on a booking . 

Sensible decision by LJ. 

1 hour ago, AlrightMeBabber said:

Personally, I don't think Hegeler had a terrible game on Saturday. There were others in the team who played far worse and seem to be protected by the fans.. (Flint, Wright) 

Thought Wright had a nightmare,badly exposed,caught out of position numerous times & didn't seem to know wether to 'stick or twist-the sooner Eros back the better.

2 hours ago, AlrightMeBabber said:

Having an unreliable defensive partner in Hegeler, and attempting to cover for the on the day inadequacies of others, certainly affected Flint against Leeds.

All the same his personal performance, though not up with his very best, was far better than Hegeler or Wright imo.

Wright we can excuse to an extent as he was playing out of his best and most comfortable position, but even so LJ had trusted him to play there above other potential right backs.

Hegeler was found to be out of his depth in a relatively untried position as a CB in a pairing, although, again LJ seemed to believe him more worthy of a start than the likes of Magnússon.

More than one player was left exposed by LJ's team selection imo., and their frailty naturally affected the performances of the whole team.

Archived